REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: trevorbc] #2896423
01/10/19 06:12 PM
01/10/19 06:12 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

Originally Posted By: trevorbc
Originally Posted By: BillyOcean
A lot of people have degrees and dont get paid much

Go to any university town and observe all of the poor adjuncts with PHDs

Only in govt do you get automatic raises for things like this

You don't get an automatic raise for having an advanced degree. You may come in at a higher pay level if you have an advanced degree but that is negotiated. Isn't that true in the private sector as well? People with advanced degrees are in a better position to negotiate a higher wage. People with advanced degrees make more money no matter in what sector.

Is the problem that the government provides a pension and healthcare or is it that the private sector doesn't? I can't see every small business being able to afford this but many large companies certainly could. Provide healthcare for life for your career workers or buy back your stock? Give your CEO a 10 million dollar bonus? If the government can afford trillions and trillions of dollars in foreign wars certainly it can afford to take care of its public servants? (I'm not talking about politicians)

Im not really sure what were arguing about

Im saying many people who work in govt make more than their private sector counterparts, especially when adjusted for risk, but some dont, especially higher level people in elite fields

I dont blame individuals for taking a good deal that is available to them

But I also think people should admit when they have a good deal

If working in govt was not a good deal, I think you would see there being difficulties in filling govt positions, which seems pretty rare

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: BillyOcean] #2896425
01/10/19 06:19 PM
01/10/19 06:19 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
A lot of people have degrees and dont get paid much

Go to any university town and observe all of the poor adjuncts with PHDs

Only in govt do you get automatic raises for things like this

You don't get an automatic raise for having an advanced degree. You may come in at a higher pay level if you have an advanced degree but that is negotiated. Isn't that true in the private sector as well? People with advanced degrees are in a better position to negotiate a higher wage. People with advanced degrees make more money no matter in what sector.

Is the problem that the government provides a pension and healthcare or is it that the private sector doesn't? I can't see every small business being able to afford this but many large companies certainly could. Provide healthcare for life for your career workers or buy back your stock? Give your CEO a 10 million dollar bonus? If the government can afford trillions and trillions of dollars in foreign wars certainly it can afford to take care of its public servants? (I'm not talking about politicians)

Im not really sure what were arguing about

Im saying many people who work in govt make more than their private sector counterparts, especially when adjusted for risk, but some dont, especially higher level people in elite fields

I dont blame individuals for taking a good deal that is available to them

But I also think people should admit when they have a good deal

If working in govt was not a good deal, I think you would see there being difficulties in filling govt positions, which seems pretty rare

I agree with you for the most part. I don't see a lot of government workers claiming they have a bad deal. They know what they signed up for. The reason I stepped into the conversation was to provide some insight against the knee jerk right wing standard that government employees are lazy and waste of taxpayer money.

In a down economy there usually isn't a hard time filling government positions. In this economy there is actually has been difficulty for the federal government to find well qualified applicants. That is because again, they can make more money in the private sector.

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: the janitor] #2896430
01/10/19 06:35 PM
01/10/19 06:35 PM
north of the bridge
T
the janitor Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
the janitor  Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
T

north of the bridge
Originally Posted By: the janitor
The VA is a very difficult agency to deal with. The standards of care vary a lot depending upon location and in general I think it is both dramatically underfunded/understaffed and undermanaged. The scandals that keep emerging are a shameful catalog of our treatment of Vets when the cameras aren't on.

I neglected the "how to fix it" portion of the event:

1. Require Congress to adequately fund the VA very shortly after we enter into new military engagements. RIght now it seems like we are relatively nimble at sending troops wherever needed - which is good - but horrible at doing the downstream math to figure out how many new patients the VA will need to care for and with what types of injuries.

2. Leadership and administrative accountability (ie firing some people). There need to be serious consequences for the crap some of these folks get away with. There are great people at the VA, but there are also a bunch of lemons in management roles that need to be expunged.

3. Increase the voucher system for private care. Depending upon location, the services Vets may need might not be available - or at least not any time soon. This is BS and amounts to severely rationed or non-existent care

4. Fcuking fund hard core research on TBIs. The amount we don't know in this realm is huge and the amount of Vets suffering from the serious consequences are large.

5. Destigmatize seeking help for PTSD - which needs to start in the military.

6. Crack some fcuking skulls when it comes to MST in the military and adequately fund treatment for this at the VA.

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: sizzld1] #2896431
01/10/19 06:36 PM
01/10/19 06:36 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Originally Posted By: sizzld1
Ok. Show us a link to where starting salaries for school teachers are $80k in your municipality. Good luck.

Just hit the link I shared and looked at my children's district. The site doesn't give if the person is full time, an aid or how many years served.

The lowest person listed is $30.00 ???
The Mid point of all (over 200) employees listed is $91,756.00
The High that isn't a Principal or administrator is $113,000
Lower school Principals are $125,000
The BA: $152,000
High School Principal: $157,000
Superintendent: $157,500

Sizz, I believe you're in NJ too. Do the same for your district. You can search by district on the right. Then you can sort by salary.

Again, I'm not complaining that they make this much..........just saying, don't complain that they're not making enough. They sure as hell have better benefits than I or most of you do, have summers and breaks off too.

Edit. Just noticed if you click a teachers name you can get all the particulars on that individual to boot.

“I always thank God I didn't go to film school because I would have learned that I couldn't be doing what I've been doing already.” - Bruce Brown,
Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: trevorbc] #2896433
01/10/19 06:39 PM
01/10/19 06:39 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Online sick
Duke status
ifallalot  Online Sick
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Originally Posted By: ifallalot
Something something Autoprax frames

Huh?

Your view of government and government workers is polluted by the the fact that your mother was one of the good ones and are projecting her to the rest of the government.

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: afoaf] #2896434
01/10/19 06:41 PM
01/10/19 06:41 PM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Hows this one. Girl's gym teacher in my kids district: $113,260 One of the most highly paid people in the entire district.

Salary
$113,260

Experience District

Experience New Jersey

Primary Job
Health & Physical Education

Experience Total

FTE

Subcategory
General ed

Certificate
Standard certificate

Highly Qualified
Doesn't need to be highly qualified

Teaching Route
Traditional

“I always thank God I didn't go to film school because I would have learned that I couldn't be doing what I've been doing already.” - Bruce Brown,
Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: GromsDad] #2896435
01/10/19 06:43 PM
01/10/19 06:43 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Is that starting salary?

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: manbearpig] #2896437
01/10/19 06:44 PM
01/10/19 06:44 PM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Originally Posted By: manbearpig
Is that starting salary?

See prior post for all the stats for my district.

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: ifallalot] #2896438
01/10/19 06:45 PM
01/10/19 06:45 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom

Huh?

Your view of government and government workers is polluted by the the fact that your mother was one of the good ones and are projecting her to the rest of the government.

Or maybe he has more experience with individuals in government jobs than you because of that, but keep framing things to be convenient for your views/bias shrug

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: manbearpig] #2896439
01/10/19 06:47 PM
done
G
GWS Offline
Duke status
GWS  Offline
Duke status
G

done
Originally Posted By: Sharkbiscuit

Californian government workers get priced out of neighborhood in California by people who picked more lucrative career track:

WAAAAAH. WAAAAAH. SUMBUDDY CALL WAMBALAMPS.

SAKWAMENTO TAKSEZ ME

CALL WAMBALAMPS!!11111!!!!!!!

dancing

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: GromsDad] #2896440
S
StuAzole Offline
Tom Curren status
StuAzole  Offline
Tom Curren status
S

Originally Posted By: GromsDad
Originally Posted By: sizzld1
Ok. Show us a link to where starting salaries for school teachers are $80k in your municipality. Good luck.

Just hit the link I shared and looked at my children's district. The site doesn't give if the person is full time, an aid or how many years served.

The lowest person listed is $30.00 ???
The Mid point of all (over 200) employees listed is $91,756.00
The High that isn't a Principal or administrator is $113,000
Lower school Principals are $125,000
The BA: $152,000
High School Principal: $157,000
Superintendent: $157,500

Sizz, I believe you're in NJ too. Do the same for your district. You can search by district on the right. Then you can sort by salary.

Again, I'm not complaining that they make this much..........just saying, don't complain that they're not making enough. They sure as hell have better benefits than I or most of you do, have summers and breaks off too.

Edit. Just noticed if you click a teachers name you can get all the particulars on that individual to boot.

Link?

In CA, they tend to share compensation figures that include benefits.

Bock you
Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: ifallalot] #2896444
01/10/19 06:55 PM
01/10/19 06:55 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold

Huh?

That would be true if I said all government workers were great and there is no waste in the government. That's not what I'm saying. I'm providing evidence that the government is not all bad. Also my mother isn't the only government worker I know and I know a lot of people in the private sector too. I have perspective and experience not bias.

I'm trying to provide an accurate picture based on fact not one based on right wing dogma.

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: GromsDad] #2896445
01/10/19 06:58 PM
01/10/19 06:58 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Originally Posted By: GromsDad
Originally Posted By: manbearpig
Is that starting salary?

See prior post for all the stats for my district.

Your link is no good and rest is unclear.

Are those starting salaries or are they not? Its a simple question. From the looks of things they are not starting salaries and youre trying to compare apples to oranges.

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: GWS] #2896448
01/10/19 06:59 PM
01/10/19 06:59 PM
Jacksonville Beach
S
Sharkbiscuit Online content
Phil Edwards status
Sharkbiscuit  Online Content
Phil Edwards status
S

Jacksonville Beach
Originally Posted By: GWS
Originally Posted By: Sharkbiscuit

Californian government workers get priced out of neighborhood in California by people who picked more lucrative career track:

WAAAAAH. WAAAAAH. SUMBUDDY CALL WAMBALAMPS.

SAKWAMENTO TAKSEZ ME

CALL WAMBALAMPS!!11111!!!!!!!

dancing

cheers

110% on point and relevant, and part of the government expense cycle no doubt. Been happening for ages in New York as well. You need your vest and shotgun to get from your squalor cell to squad car in Staten Island or the Bronx, and technically live in the city, or if you have a kid and want that child to not grow up with Mike Tyson or 50 Cent or the Wu Tang Clan, are providing special services to someone in one of the boroughs for a mailing address and living out in Rockland County or someplace halfway between Buffalo and Montreal.

Do you want to pay less in taxes, or take a property value hit by having affordable housing for public sector employees?

Unless you live in Bayleiwa Headolua or Spring-a-Lago New Jersey, both of which break just like Boxdoor, and the mailman is making seven figures.

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: trevorbc] #2896451
01/10/19 07:02 PM
01/10/19 07:02 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
I'm also trying to dispel old myths. Like government workers have such amazing retirement packages (not true anymore at least for fed employees), promotion isn't based on merit, they can't get fired, and on and on. Those are all the things right wing media tells you to create an enemy. They are trying to divert your attention from what the real cost drivers of our debt are.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32