REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: afoaf] #2896384
01/10/19 05:06 PM
01/10/19 05:06 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

Just anecdotes but Ive seen coworkers come in and out of Fed govt

Fed govt pays less for people in my line of work but provides advantages in other ways (job security, better hrs, more time off, better benefits)

For some the trade off is worth it, others not

Seems like there is no much problem in filling most govt positions so I dont think the deal is too bad

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: heelnipstr] #2896387
01/10/19 05:08 PM
done
G
GWS Offline
Duke status
GWS  Offline
Duke status
G

done
Originally Posted By: heelnipstr
Originally Posted By: GromsDad
Meanwhile a starting salary for a fireman in my town is over $80,000 plus incredible benefits. They work 24 on 48 off. School teachers have the same starting pay. Perhaps the only municipal workers in my town at the lower end of things would be entry level clerks and public works employees. I'm not complaining but cry me a freaking river.

Liar.
Starting teachers in NJ earn $50k a year.

https://www.sokanu.com/careers/elementary-school-teacher/salary/new-jersey/#by-seniority

That's fairly dismal. But in addition to that number, don't they get full medical, dental as well as retirement benefits?

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: FecalFace] #2896388
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

Originally Posted By: FecalFace
Originally Posted By: BillyOcean
Theres no consequence for failure

Ethics.

Put in charge people who know what that means.

Not people who hate government and Trumptards.

Ethics are great but being able to be fired is a strong motivator

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: GromsDad] #2896389
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
Here is a link for NJ Teachers. You can look up any teacher you want in any district you want: https://php.app.com/agent/educationstaff/search

There are a lot of salaries under 80k in there. I thought starting was 80? Do you feel teachers should be paid less?

Dear old mom doesn't feel there is any "plight." I just personally feel that her contribution to society was worth a lot more than 50k a year. Forget society even, how about what she did for the economy, working to get people off benefits and into meaningful jobs? My example was to illustrate that if you don't know a hard working underpaid public employee it is easy to point the finger. I have friends in the private sector and it seems they are on Facebook all day. How is that?

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: BillyOcean] #2896391
01/10/19 05:10 PM
01/10/19 05:10 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
Originally Posted By: FecalFace
Theres no consequence for failure

Ethics.

Put in charge people who know what that means.

Not people who hate government and Trumptards.

Ethics are great but being able to be fired is a strong motivator

Another myth: public sector employees can't get fired. Dude, this isn't 1980.

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: GWS] #2896392
01/10/19 05:13 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

Originally Posted By: GWS
Meanwhile a starting salary for a fireman in my town is over $80,000 plus incredible benefits. They work 24 on 48 off. School teachers have the same starting pay. Perhaps the only municipal workers in my town at the lower end of things would be entry level clerks and public works employees. I'm not complaining but cry me a freaking river.

Liar.

https://www.sokanu.com/careers/elementary-school-teacher/salary/new-jersey/#by-seniority

That's fairly dismal. But doesn't that include full medical, dental as well as retirement benefits?

Whats the present value of a 20 yr + retirement with 80% pension and top health care benefits?

That said, I dont really have a problem with paying teachers well

They provide a very important service and it is a hard job

I have more of an issue with back office govt clerks claiming they have it rough

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: StuAzole] #2896393
Jacksonville Beach
S
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status
Sharkbiscuit  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Jacksonville Beach
Originally Posted By: StuAzole

Liar.

If teachers started at $80k, more people would want to be teachers.

$80k to be Rowan County Clerk. $80k goes a looooooooooooooooooong way halfway between Lexington, KY and Huntington, WV. I would have the sickest property with deer to drop all over the place on that.

Other than the year of "general office experience" and "driver's license", I had these qualifications after my Sophomore year of High School. Can't drive and didn't have a credit card when I was 15.

Based on the accounting classes I took in 10th and 11th grade, I think the average 16 year old in a high school accounting class in Rowan County could do this job.

It's 2019. Touch-typing and MS Office as requirements....right up there with opposable thumbs and ability to respirate orally and nasally.

https://www.betterteam.com/county-clerk-job-description

Quote:
County Clerk Requirements:
High School Diploma or GED.
One year work experience as a municipal or County Clerk, or one year general office experience.
Proficient computer and typing skills.
Basic accounting skills.
Proficient with MS Office Word, Outlook and Excel, and familiar with data entry.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Strong people skills.
Valid drivers license.
Completion of online application.
Ability to maintain confidentiality and security of information.
Bondable to handle money.

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: GromsDad] #2896395
01/10/19 05:18 PM
01/10/19 05:18 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
Here is a link for NJ Teachers. You can look up any teacher you want in any district you want: https://php.app.com/agent/educationstaff/search

Marven Atlantic Atlantic City Sovereign Avenue School Mathematics Grades 5 - 8 $101,307

I bet Marven has more than just a B.A. I bet most of the educators on that list have more than a B.A. If Marven has a wife and one child and student loans do you think he is living the high life? On that salary with student loans could he save 20% to buy a house in your town? Is he even middle class? You think this is a real waste of your tax dollars?

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: trevorbc] #2896397
01/10/19 05:19 PM
01/10/19 05:19 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

Originally Posted By: trevorbc

There are a lot of salaries under 80k in there. I thought starting was 80? Do you feel teachers should be paid less?

Dear old mom doesn't feel there is any "plight." I just personally feel that her contribution to society was worth a lot more than 50k a year. Forget society even, how about what she did for the economy, working to get people off benefits and into meaningful jobs? My example was to illustrate that if you don't know a hard working underpaid public employee it is easy to point the finger. I have friends in the private sector and it seems they are on Facebook all day. How is that?

I agree with you generally on this

The world is not a fair place

Pay does not always reflect value to society

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: afoaf] #2896403
01/10/19 05:36 PM
01/10/19 05:36 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

A lot of people have degrees and dont get paid much

Go to any university town and observe all of the poor adjuncts with PHDs

Only in govt do you get automatic raises for things like this

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: heelnipstr] #2896409
01/10/19 05:48 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Online content
Duke status
GromsDad  Online Content
Duke status
G

West of the Atlantic. East of...

Liar.

Its municipality by municipality.

“I always thank God I didn't go to film school because I would have learned that I couldn't be doing what I've been doing already.” - Bruce Brown,
Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: GWS] #2896411
Southern Tip, Norcal
H
heelnipstr Offline
Miki Dora status
heelnipstr  Offline
Miki Dora status
H

Southern Tip, Norcal
Originally Posted By: GWS

Liar.

That's fairly dismal. But in addition to that number, don't they get full medical, dental as well as retirement benefits?

That's $4K more than the national average. I don't know about NJ but I did get dental(wisdom teeth finally removed) and my medical was taken out of my salary(not that much I think). Even starting w/ a MEd my salary was much less than $50k 20 something years ago in the great state of CA. bawling

If you see a Buddha in the road, ask which gender pronouns they prefer and then kill them.
Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: afoaf] #2896413
01/10/19 05:51 PM
01/10/19 05:51 PM
Here
S
sizzld1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
sizzld1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Here
Ok. Show us a link to where starting salaries for school teachers are $80k in your municipality. Good luck.

"I love it when people who are supposed to be surfers.....posting on a surfing forum.....don't know the difference between stoke and stock." - GromsDad
"I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too." - Mitch Hedberg
Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: BillyOcean] #2896416
01/10/19 05:55 PM
01/10/19 05:55 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
A lot of people have degrees and dont get paid much

Go to any university town and observe all of the poor adjuncts with PHDs

Only in govt do you get automatic raises for things like this

You don't get an automatic raise for having an advanced degree. You may come in at a higher pay level if you have an advanced degree but that is negotiated. Isn't that true in the private sector as well? People with advanced degrees are in a better position to negotiate a higher wage. People with advanced degrees make more money no matter in what sector.

Is the problem that the government provides a pension and healthcare or is it that the private sector doesn't? I can't see every small business being able to afford this but many large companies certainly could. Provide healthcare for life for your career workers or buy back your stock? Give your CEO a 10 million dollar bonus? If the government can afford trillions and trillions of dollars in foreign wars certainly it can afford to take care of its public servants? (I'm not talking about politicians)

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: sizzld1] #2896421
01/10/19 06:01 PM
01/10/19 06:01 PM
Southern Tip, Norcal
H
heelnipstr Offline
Miki Dora status
heelnipstr  Offline
Miki Dora status
H

Southern Tip, Norcal
Originally Posted By: sizzld1
Ok. Show us a link to where starting salaries for school teachers are $80k in your municipality. Good luck.

And one public school district is going to pay $30K more for a starting position than another. LOL If true the haves and have nots are having their way. No starting teacher is worth $30k than another. They are all just fodder for little devils to learn to survive or be eaten.

If you see a Buddha in the road, ask which gender pronouns they prefer and then kill them.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32