REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Fixing Government Services #2896284
01/10/19 08:24 AM
01/10/19 08:24 AM
A
afoaf Offline OP
Duke status
afoaf  Offline OP
Duke status
A

I know some will have a harsher view of the effectiveness of government agencies
such as DMV, IRS, DoE, and Homeland Security.

What are the fundamental problems with government run services in your experience?

How could the system be improved?

I'm asking from the point of view that privatization and profit motive don't always ensure
a better experience at a lower total cost to the taxpayer?

I, for one, think government retirement and benefit packages are obscene.

if you haven't smoked DMT you have no credibility on any subject in surfing or outside of surfing...
Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: afoaf] #2896291
01/10/19 11:20 AM
01/10/19 11:20 AM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

In the private sector hiring, pay and advancement are generally based on performance rather than time on the job.......therefore many government employees are just taking up space and doing the time and don't give a shit.

“I always thank God I didn't go to film school because I would have learned that I couldn't be doing what I've been doing already.” - Bruce Brown,
Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: afoaf] #2896306
01/10/19 01:13 PM
01/10/19 01:13 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

Theres no consequence for failure

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: afoaf] #2896315
01/10/19 02:20 PM
01/10/19 02:20 PM
Your moms house
D
Duffy Offline
Phil Edwards status
Duffy  Offline
Phil Edwards status
D

Your moms house
Government employees should not be unionized.

No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn

- The Wasp
Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: afoaf] #2896316
01/10/19 02:34 PM
01/10/19 02:34 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
Originally Posted By: afoaf
I know some will have a harsher view of the effectiveness of government agencies

What are the fundamental problems with government run services in your experience?

I'm asking from the point of view that privatization and profit motive don't always ensure

Can you provide a specific example of an obscene retirement and benefit package?

In the old days federal employees had much better benefits. In the last 20 years things have changed greatly. Federal employees have a TSP account which is the same as a 401k which the government matches up to 5%. As far as I know this is very similar to the private sector. Then there is a pension which is paltry. Again, nothing like what federal employees received 20 years ago.

Pay during service is much lower than the same job in the private sector. You do realize the government employs doctors, lawyers, scientists, engineers, right? All paid far below what their private sector counterparts are paid. So they get a paltry pension and decent health insurance instead? Advancement in the federal government is performance based so not sure where Gromy gets that it doesn't. Fox news?

Federal employees are an easy target when people don't know what the F they are talking about. Are there lazy fed employees? Definitely. Are there lazy private sector employees? Definitely. I have friends that work in both. I had a friend that worked for AIG and got 80k a year bonuses and played golf all day.

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: afoaf] #2896317
01/10/19 02:48 PM
01/10/19 02:48 PM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

trevor, what you describe does not jive with what I see with my friends who have government jobs.......some of whom have recently retired or are near retirement at very young ages.

“I always thank God I didn't go to film school because I would have learned that I couldn't be doing what I've been doing already.” - Bruce Brown,
Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: GromsDad] #2896318
01/10/19 02:52 PM
01/10/19 02:52 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
I think it does jive. If they are near retirement age they may have been in the old "postal service" system of benefits which were quite generous. (some would say fair as salaries were lower than in private sector) I'm not sure exactly what year the new system took place but government retirement packages are no where near what they once were.

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: afoaf] #2896319
01/10/19 02:54 PM
01/10/19 02:54 PM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Most of the people I know are at the municipal government level but a few at the state and federal level. Are they killing it like guys on wall street of course not but they are all doing considerably better than the average joe when you factor the benefits and pensions.

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: GromsDad] #2896324
01/10/19 03:13 PM
01/10/19 03:13 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
They are doing better than the average joe because they all have college degrees and many have masters and doctorates. They have lower pay but good health care so a health issue won't bankrupt them like the average joe.

My mother worked for the State of NH for almost 40 years. Her salary in those 40 years went from around 30k to 50k. (that's an f-ing joke) She's the hardest working most dedicated person I know. She helped the disabled find jobs. If people are working they are less likely to need welfare. She has a BA from Catholic University in D.C. and a masters from Boston University.

Again, can the government do things better? Yes. There is all sorts of waste and laziness in the private sector as well. The same companies that end up paying no taxes.

The scapegoating of public employees is shameful.

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: trevorbc] #2896327
01/10/19 03:17 PM
01/10/19 03:17 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

Originally Posted By: trevorbc
Originally Posted By: afoaf

Can you provide a specific example of an obscene retirement and benefit package?

In the old days federal employees had much better benefits. In the last 20 years things have changed greatly. Federal employees have a TSP account which is the same as a 401k which the government matches up to 5%. As far as I know this is very similar to the private sector. Then there is a pension which is paltry. Again, nothing like what federal employees received 20 years ago.

Pay during service is much lower than the same job in the private sector. You do realize the government employs doctors, lawyers, scientists, engineers, right? All paid far below what their private sector counterparts are paid. So they get a paltry pension and decent health insurance instead? Advancement in the federal government is performance based so not sure where Gromy gets that it doesn't. Fox news?

Federal employees are an easy target when people don't know what the F they are talking about. Are there lazy fed employees? Definitely. Are there lazy private sector employees? Definitely. I have friends that work in both. I had a friend that worked for AIG and got 80k a year bonuses and played golf all day.

Annuities also have lower returns than most other investments

Risk adjusted return

Fed workers have effectively guaranteed employment for life

So they should be paid less

But theyre really not when you take into account benefits

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: trevorbc] #2896330
01/10/19 03:21 PM
01/10/19 03:21 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

They are doing better than the average joe because they all have college degrees and many have masters and doctorates. They have lower pay but good health care so a health issue won't bankrupt them like the average joe.

My mother worked for the State of NH for almost 40 years. Her salary in those 40 years went from around 30k to 50k. (that's an f-ing joke) She's the hardest working most dedicated person I know. She helped the disabled find jobs. If people are working they are less likely to need welfare. She has a BA from Catholic University in D.C. and a masters from Boston University.

Again, can the government do things better? Yes. There is all sorts of waste and laziness in the private sector as well. The same companies that end up paying no taxes.

My mother was a social worker too

Also had a masters degree

She made the same

Thats what social workers make

She didnt work for the govt so got shit benefits though

Most govt workers get a better deal than they would get in private sector

Its only the top slice where private sector comp is better

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: trevorbc] #2896334
01/10/19 03:27 PM
01/10/19 03:27 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Online sick
Duke status
ifallalot  Online Sick
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Something something Autoprax frames

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: BillyOcean] #2896338
01/10/19 03:34 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
Originally Posted By: BillyOcean

My mother was a social worker too

Also had a masters degree

She made the same

Thats what social workers make

She didnt work for the govt so got shit benefits though

Most govt workers get a better deal than they would get in private sector

Its only the top slice where private sector comp is better

This just isn't true.

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: ifallalot] #2896339
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
Originally Posted By: ifallalot
Something something Autoprax frames

Huh?

Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: afoaf] #2896344
01/10/19 03:41 PM
01/10/19 03:41 PM
Jacksonville Beach
S
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status
Sharkbiscuit  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Jacksonville Beach
I see two problems.

1. People want shit and don't want to pay.
Try taking away the average 65+ Trump voters' Medicare Part D. You think there was a backlash to drug testing benefits recipients, try alcohol and tobacco testing them. LOLZ.

I know people who think we should have Australia/Canada/UK care, and their taxes shouldn't go up. Middle/Upper Middle class, pay Federal Income Tax, not just payroll tax, and think this is somehow not going to cost them more if they don't get sick. They think there is that much money in "waste". Even the DoD only finds about $100B/year.

2. Open-ended benefits packages.
Entire families getting health care for life because one person worked in government...I get it, that was part of their benefits packages, but pensions and health care costs sound like a really, really big unfunded liability problem.

Places like California, well you have Silicon Valley minting money, and in California's case, the politicians actually tax to pay for the spending. I applaud their arithmetic, but their voters howl.

Decrepit shit piles like Illinois, well...yeah.

"Do da chair know we goin' look like some punkass bitches?" - Poot Carr
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32