REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2896539 - 01/10/19 05:02 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: FecalFace]
StuAzole Offline
Tom Curren status

Originally Posted By: FecalFace
Originally Posted By: StuAzole
I went to the DMV a few weeks ago. In and out in no time at all. Seemed pretty dialed in to me.

There's a brand new fancy one that just opened in Esco.

It's all about the old one in Vista.

#2896543 - 01/10/19 05:14 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: StuAzole]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Loc: down der by the harbor
I'm all about the vintage O-side one.

They run commercials on the screens now to make up for the lack of funds.

Sad.

#2896547 - 01/10/19 05:20 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: FecalFace]
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status

What I don't get tho is all the whining and jealousy about government employees getting better bennies than the private sector, instead of whining at the private sector for underpaying and not providing better benefits.

People care because govt employees are paid with tax dollars

While its nice in theory for someone to make a living wage, some of the shine comes off when that wage is taken from you by threat of force

#2896550 - 01/10/19 05:23 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: trevorbc]
GromsDad Online   content
Duke status

Loc: West of the Atlantic. East of...
Originally Posted By: trevorbc
Originally Posted By: GromsDad
Here is a link for NJ Teachers. You can look up any teacher you want in any district you want: https://php.app.com/agent/educationstaff/search

Marven Atlantic Atlantic City Sovereign Avenue School Mathematics Grades 5 - 8 $101,307

I bet Marven has more than just a B.A. I bet most of the educators on that list have more than a B.A. If Marven has a wife and one child and student loans do you think he is living the high life? On that salary with student loans could he save 20% to buy a house in your town? Is he even middle class? You think this is a real waste of your tax dollars?

You seem to be missing my point. I'm not complaining about what people like this make. On the flip side I think people should realize how good people like this have it.

You should also read up on the problems with the New Jersey government pension system. It isn't pretty.
This is a bad day for the news media. Lets not kid ourselves, Toobin said on CNN. The larger message that a lot of people are going to take from this story is that the news media are a bunch of leftist liars who are dying to get the president, and theyre willing to lie to do it.

#2896554 - 01/10/19 05:35 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: BillyOcean]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: BillyOcean
What I don't get tho is all the whining and jealousy about government employees getting better bennies than the private sector, instead of whining at the private sector for underpaying and not providing better benefits.

People care because govt employees are paid with tax dollars

While its nice in theory for someone to make a living wage, some of the shine comes off when that wage is taken from you by threat of force

Refusing to pay taxes is called mooching.

It's a small price to pay to live in the US.

Also, don't vote against your interest.

#2896560 - 01/10/19 05:43 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: FecalFace]
the janitor Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: north of the bridge

maybe it's because the health benefits can have such a large impact on your net worth over time, but people don't realize that until the sh*t hits the fan shrug

#2896562 - 01/10/19 05:47 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: GromsDad]
1whoknows Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: GromsDad
I think people should realize how good people like this have it.

And a lot of them are minorities and women! roflmao

#2896569 - 01/10/19 06:00 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: trevorbc]
grapedrink Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: A Beach
Originally Posted By: trevorbc
I'm also trying to dispel old myths. Like government workers have such amazing retirement packages (not true anymore at least for fed employees), promotion isn't based on merit, they can't get fired, and on and on. Those are all the things right wing media tells you to create an enemy. They are trying to divert your attention from what the real cost drivers of our debt are.

https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/california-forum/article209303974.html
"CalPERS told Gov. Jerry Brown and legislators that they must include $6.3 billion in the 2018-19 state budget to cover state employee pensions, making it one of the budgets largest single items."
Sounds like at least in California, retirement funds are a sizable portion of the budget shrug

#2896574 - 01/10/19 06:20 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: the janitor]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: the janitor

maybe it's because the health benefits can have such a large impact on your net worth over time, but people don't realize that until the sh*t hits the fan shrug

Great argument for Single Payer.

#2896583 - 01/10/19 06:47 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: FecalFace]
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status

What if we fire 50% of the clerks and use the savings to get single payer?

#2896589 - 01/10/19 07:12 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: BillyOcean]
1whoknows Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: BillyOcean

What if we fire 50% of the clerks and use the savings to get single payer?
Were going to fire the three home/two yacht/one jet owners. Theyll have to cut back a bit. Well need to hire more clerks as the system is expanded. Sorry if youre a super rich healthcare management parasite. You will be negatively affected. Prescription drug makers are going to take a hit also.

#2896601 - 01/10/19 07:27 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: afoaf]
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status

How about:

Tax capital gains as ordinary income

Fire 20% of clerks in every govt agency

End all foreign wars

Topless beaches

#2896630 - 01/10/19 08:38 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: FecalFace]
the janitor Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: north of the bridge

Did you not read my earlier posts about the VA?

The current system is a lottery of sorts, but I'm not convinced the single payer route here would be an improvement.

Well OK, Billy is making some sense with the topless beaches, but still.

#2896712 - 01/11/19 01:45 AM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: afoaf]
hammies Online   content
Michael Peterson status

In the state of California teacher salaries are by law public information. Just google XXX school district salary schedule, the info is easy to find.

For example, I checked Ventura Unified. A beginning teacher on an emergency credential (BS/BA only) starts at $46,841. The schedule tops out at $93,427. That's after 27 years with a Master's degree. That person will *never* get a raise after 27 years. According to Cal STRS, that teacher with a MS degree will get a pension of $7474/month (no insurance benefits included) if they work 40 years and retire at age 65. Median home prices in Ventura are $601K; if you can save $120K for a down payment you still need an annual salary of about $146K to buy a median priced home. We can therefore conclude that the highest paid teacher in Ventura does not come close to being able to buy a median priced home there.

Teachers benefits packages vary by district but usually include dental and some kind of PPO, usually at 80/20 or 90/10. The amounts teachers pay for these benefits vary; a friend who works in SB pays almost $600/month for her 80/20 PPO benefits package ($3K deductible). Total comp web sites include districts' costs of benefits; my friend makes $91K but her total comp is listed at $107K on transparentcalifornia.com. Some districts have better benefits, though. BTW like many teachers she works about 60 hours/week during the school year.

Basically teaching is a really hard job, and nobody does it for the money.

#2896758 - 01/11/19 09:44 AM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: hammies]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32