REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2896453 - 01/10/19 02:04 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: Sharkbiscuit]
trevorbc Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: cold
Originally Posted By: Sharkbiscuit
Originally Posted By: GWS
Originally Posted By: Sharkbiscuit

Californian government workers get priced out of neighborhood in California by people who picked more lucrative career track:

WAAAAAH. WAAAAAH. SUMBUDDY CALL WAMBALAMPS.

SAKWAMENTO TAKSEZ ME

CALL WAMBALAMPS!!11111!!!!!!!

dancing

cheers

110% on point and relevant, and part of the government expense cycle no doubt. Been happening for ages in New York as well. You need your vest and shotgun to get from your squalor cell to squad car in Staten Island or the Bronx, and technically live in the city, or if you have a kid and want that child to not grow up with Mike Tyson or 50 Cent or the Wu Tang Clan, are providing special services to someone in one of the boroughs for a mailing address and living out in Rockland County or someplace halfway between Buffalo and Montreal.

Do you want to pay less in taxes, or take a property value hit by having affordable housing for public sector employees?

Unless you live in Bayleiwa Headolua or Spring-a-Lago New Jersey, both of which break just like Boxdoor, and the mailman is making seven figures.

No mailman is making seven figures. Why spout that shvt?

#2896457 - 01/10/19 02:09 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: trevorbc]
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Jacksonville Beach
Originally Posted By: trevorbc
Quote:
Unless you live in Bayleiwa Headolua or Spring-a-Lago New Jersey, both of which break just like Boxdoor, and the mailman is making seven figures.

No mailman is making seven figures. Why spout that shvt?

Karl Malone made seven figures, so all mailmen make seven figures.

Also a cobblestone point in Orange County is comparable to a Hawaiian reefbreak with north exposure, and totally not a thin lipped fairy wave moving at like half the speed.

Plus Sea Girt is just as easy to surf, especially backside, as The Box.

Take deep breathes, and improve your stock game.

Edited by Sharkbiscuit (01/10/19 02:10 PM)

#2896458 - 01/10/19 02:10 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: afoaf]
BillyOcean Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

If Im hiring someone to take care of my kids, Im generally not looking to chisel them on pay

By contrast, it i was hiring someone to administer the line at the DMV, Im not sure why I should be paying that person more than the person who administers the line at the car wash

#2896463 - 01/10/19 02:23 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: BillyOcean]
trevorbc Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Sure. I think that is why there are pay scales in government. Someone like that would definitely be at the bottom. Their pay is probably pretty low. The fact that they then get decent healthcare and maybe a small pension (if they do it for 30 years) I don't think is evidence of a problem with government. What are our priorities as a society? If someone doesn't have the brains to be an engineer we don't think they should have their basic needs taken care of? The guy managing the line at the DMV in theory is showing up on time and doing his job well. Imagine a DMV without order? That is what some 3rd world countries are like, a free for all, and it is hell. Hell, orderly lines are the best thing about the 1st world.

#2896468 - 01/10/19 02:32 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: afoaf]
BillyOcean Offline

The money is coming from somewhere

Overpaying the DMV guy means there is less money available for other stuff

When govt claims they cant afford to do certain things, part of it is because they dont tax some people enough, but part of it is because they waste the money they have

Then theres the part about the DMV guy usually having some connection to a politician

I guess thats the way the world works so if DMV guy cultivated that connection and it pays off, whatever

#2896471 - 01/10/19 02:37 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: trevorbc]
ElOgro Offline
Duke status

Sure. I think that is why there are pay scales in government. Someone like that would definitely be at the bottom. Their pay is probably pretty low. The fact that they then get decent healthcare and maybe a small pension (if they do it for 30 years) I don't think is evidence of a problem with government. What are our priorities as a society? If someone doesn't have the brains to be an engineer we don't think they should have their basic needs taken care of? The guy managing the line at the DMV in theory is showing up on time and doing his job well. Imagine a DMV without order? That is what some 3rd world countries are like, a free for all, and it is hell. Hell, orderly lines are the best thing about the 1st world.

Ive learned through my extensive experience in a third world country that you can

Pay to go to the front of the line.

Pay someone to wait in line for you.

smokin

"That's all it takes--one moment." Sponge

#2896473 - 01/10/19 02:40 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: ElOgro]
trevorbc Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Originally Posted By: ElOgro

Ive learned through my extensive experience in a third world country that you can

smokin

Exactly cheers

#2896474 - 01/10/19 02:41 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: heelnipstr]
DerDer Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: San Diego
Originally Posted By: heelnipstr
Originally Posted By: GromsDad
Meanwhile a starting salary for a fireman in my town is over $80,000 plus incredible benefits. They work 24 on 48 off. School teachers have the same starting pay. Perhaps the only municipal workers in my town at the lower end of things would be entry level clerks and public works employees. I'm not complaining but cry me a freaking river.

Liar.
Starting teachers in NJ earn $50k a year.

https://www.sokanu.com/careers/elementary-school-teacher/salary/new-jersey/#by-seniority

He also lied about firemen. In NJ, their avg starting salary is less then $50k.
https://careertrend.com/what-is-the-starting-salary-for-a-firefighter-in-new-jersey-12592100.html

#2896475 - 01/10/19 02:43 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: BillyOcean]
trevorbc Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Originally Posted By: BillyOcean

When govt claims they cant afford to do certain things, part of it is because they dont tax some people enough, but part of it is because they waste the money they have

Then theres the part about the DMV guy usually having some connection to a politician

I guess thats the way the world works so if DMV guy cultivated that connection and it pays off, whatever

First I don't think the DMV guy is over paid. Does he have a second home? A yacht? In this day and age could he even afford to buy a home or have a family?

So you really believe that the guy that manages the line at the DMV cultivated a relationship with a politician to get that job? I don't even know what to say man.

#2896488 - 01/10/19 03:26 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: ElOgro]
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status

Originally Posted By: ElOgro

smokin

Any pointers on not getting skipped once you're in the front of the line?

#2896489 - 01/10/19 03:27 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: afoaf]
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status

Look people the trash man in Belmar makes more than Bezos and L Jetty breaks just like Kirra de la Cruz.

#2896491 - 01/10/19 03:32 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: trevorbc]
BillyOcean Offline

Originally Posted By: BillyOcean

First I don't think the DMV guy is over paid. Does he have a second home? A yacht? In this day and age could he even afford to buy a home or have a family?

So you really believe that the guy that manages the line at the DMV cultivated a relationship with a politician to get that job? I don't even know what to say man.

Yeah, I do believe that

Not for DMV specifically, but Ive seen it happen with people I know in local politics

Like I said, theyre just playing the game, so whatever, but those are somebodys taxes that could be spent on other things besides hooking up a buddy

#2896494 - 01/10/19 03:41 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: afoaf]
StuAzole Online   content
Tom Curren status

I went to the DMV a few weeks ago. In and out in no time at all. Seemed pretty dialed in to me.

#2896529 - 01/10/19 04:49 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: StuAzole]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Loc: down der by the harbor
Originally Posted By: StuAzole
I went to the DMV a few weeks ago. In and out in no time at all. Seemed pretty dialed in to me.

There's a brand new fancy one that just opened in Esco.

#2896533 - 01/10/19 04:53 PM Re: Fixing Government Services [Re: afoaf]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Loc: down der by the harbor
What I don't get tho is all the whining and jealousy about government employees getting better bennies than the private sector, instead of whining at the private sector for underpaying and not providing better benefits.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32