REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest] #2894197
01/05/19 09:05 AM
01/05/19 09:05 AM
G
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Goodfish  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

Yeah, pretty good interview. Interesting to hear how he went from outline to tails to channels and now focused on noses. In terms of aesthetics, I agree with what he said about the Hydronaut; it really is a beautiful board. Also, pretty cool to hear him talk about revisiting old boards, and mentioning the Vader in particular which is still his all-time best board, I think.

Bassy ain't as good as David Lee Scales when it comes to interviewing, but I think that's a personality thing. David is a more gracious host and a more thoughtful listener; he really lets the people he's interviewing do the talking. Bassy usually wants to get them talking about Jesus or something, and that gets oooooooold fast!

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.
Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: Goodfish] #2894333
01/05/19 07:36 PM
01/05/19 07:36 PM
C
crotchgrab Offline
Nep status
crotchgrab  Offline
Nep status
C

Originally Posted By: Goodfish
Yeah, pretty good interview. Interesting to hear how he went from outline to tails to channels and now focused on noses. In terms of aesthetics, I agree with what he said about the Hydronaut; it really is a beautiful board. Also, pretty cool to hear him talk about revisiting old boards, and mentioning the Vader in particular which is still his all-time best board, I think.

Bassy ain't as good as David Lee Scales when it comes to interviewing, but I think that's a personality thing. David is a more gracious host and a more thoughtful listener; he really lets the people he's interviewing do the talking. Bassy usually wants to get them talking about Jesus or something, and that gets oooooooold fast!

He seemed to rave a bit more about the Evo. Said he's been surfing it a lot in junk waves in Oz. Said it's like cheating.

Re: Bass vs Scales. I whole heartedly disagree. Been listening to these for years and Scales goes for a more NPR style and a diplomatic approach. It's tedious and stale. Is guilty of hushing and admonishing Bass whenever things are just about to get interesting. He seems much more scared of pissing off the industry. That's NOT what we want! Too many people suckling on the industry teats to say whats really going on or what they actually think about something. Bass has been podcasting for a really long time. I like his loose and fast approach. When he does his homework, he's far superior. Bass is the strider to Scales Turdpel.
If I want NPR, there are a ton of others doing that better.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest] #2894342
01/05/19 08:03 PM
01/05/19 08:03 PM
X
xmesa Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
xmesa  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
X

yeah but if Bassy's jazzy intros and "let us begin..." isn't aping NPR style, i dunno what is

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: xmesa] #2894352
01/05/19 08:30 PM
01/05/19 08:30 PM
Tower 13
S
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status
silentbutdeadly  Offline
Duke status
S

Tower 13
Both do that cheesdick stuff but I think overall they both do a great job. I just love listening to the characters they interview. I'm typing this as Derek Hynd is talking about his eye surgery.

Wait, why am I posting this here?

"The size / dimensions don't matter. What does matter is that it's flammable. Because you should set it on fire and get a real surfboard" Witchipoo
Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: crotchgrab] #2894399
01/05/19 10:31 PM
01/05/19 10:31 PM
G
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Goodfish  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

Originally Posted By: crotchgrab

He seemed to rave a bit more about the Evo. Said he's been surfing it a lot in junk waves in Oz. Said it's like cheating.

Re: Bass vs Scales. I whole heartedly disagree. Been listening to these for years and Scales goes for a more NPR style and a diplomatic approach. It's tedious and stale. Is guilty of hushing and admonishing Bass whenever things are just about to get interesting. He seems much more scared of pissing off the industry. That's NOT what we want! Too many people suckling on the industry teats to say whats really going on or what they actually think about something. Bass has been podcasting for a really long time. I like his loose and fast approach. When he does his homework, he's far superior. Bass is the strider to Scales Turdpel.

Fair enough, but I totally disagree with your description of their styles! I think Bass panders MUCH more to the people he's interviewing. He's the one who is sucking titty. Scales is a much more intelligent interviewer because his questions open up the guests. Then, depending on the guest, it gets really interesting. I've been listening to the podcasts for a few years too. At first, Scales was way to verbose and tried to explain everything, but now he's much smoother. Whereas Bass is just saying what is in his head, then backtracks when he realises he just said something dumb. Both good though. Both compliment each other well when they're together because they're so different.

I'm saying Bass is Kaipo to Scales' Ronnie Blakey.

UP THE SWELLIANS!

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.
Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: Goodfish] #2894733
01/06/19 08:33 PM
01/06/19 08:33 PM
C
crotchgrab Offline
Nep status
crotchgrab  Offline
Nep status
C

LOL. Touche

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest] #2894825
01/07/19 01:16 AM
01/07/19 01:16 AM
W
Wcurtain Offline
Grom
Wcurtain  Offline
Grom
W

Originally Posted By: deforest
Originally Posted By: Wcurtain
Tried looking at their website but didn't find the available info. Does anyone know when the boardroom show will be in Japan?
May 17 & 18

Thanks Deforest!

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: Goodfish] #2895037
01/07/19 05:58 PM
01/07/19 05:58 PM
California
D
deforest Offline OP
Nep status
deforest  Offline OP
Nep status
D

California
Originally Posted By: crotchgrab

Fair enough, but I totally disagree with your description of their styles! I think Bass panders MUCH more to the people he's interviewing. He's the one who is sucking titty. Scales is a much more intelligent interviewer because his questions open up the guests. Then, depending on the guest, it gets really interesting. I've been listening to the podcasts for a few years too. At first, Scales was way to verbose and tried to explain everything, but now he's much smoother. Whereas Bass is just saying what is in his head, then backtracks when he realises he just said something dumb. Both good though. Both compliment each other well when they're together because they're so different.

UP THE SWELLIANS!
UTFS jam_on #UTFS

I like Bassys approach. Havent really click with DLS but Ill start giving that podcast a listen.
Has anyone seen Bassy surf? I heard he rips.

Instagram: @deforestcooper
Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest] #2895361
01/08/19 04:46 AM
01/08/19 04:46 AM
X
xmesa Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
xmesa  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
X

^ i've heard he rips too...you don't get on KBPS w/o some shred cred. but i also heard that he blew up cardiff along with Joel Tudor on SUPs?...and he's a born again tea lover... so, \_(ツ)_/

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest] #2895363
01/08/19 04:54 AM
01/08/19 04:54 AM
G
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status
ghostshaper  Offline
Miki Dora status
G

He's not an aggro pro, but has a really smooth style. Legit surfer.

Organized competition is entirely peripheral to surfing qua surfing. People surf for love. - William Finnegan
Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest] #2896205
01/10/19 02:00 AM
01/10/19 02:00 AM
California
D
deforest Offline OP
Nep status
deforest  Offline OP
Nep status
D

California
I listened to the podcast again and noticed 2nd time around that Tomo mentioned how he hand shaped for a long time during his apprenticeship and made templates and outlines by hand. He also talked about glassing his own boards and sanding them under trees in AUS. haha. With no masks. And bailing buckets of water out of the shaping room because it would flood from the rain. ha.

I think he elaborated on that a little bit, possibly due to the convos on here about his hand shaping?

He also talked about Greenough not being a surfer (another subject that was touched on in this forum) and how the powerdrive fins were developed by Tomo and his Dad.

I thought those subjects were interesting given that we talked about them here on the forum.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest] #2896220
01/10/19 02:22 AM
01/10/19 02:22 AM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
Greenough not being a surfer

What was he ?

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: Greg Griffin] #2896227
01/10/19 02:58 AM
01/10/19 02:58 AM
California
D
deforest Offline OP
Nep status
deforest  Offline OP
Nep status
D

California
Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
Greenough not being a surfer

What was he ?
windsurfer and kneeboarder.

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest] #2896239
01/10/19 03:22 AM
01/10/19 03:22 AM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
Greenough the Kneeboarder was the Design Inspiration for Wilderness surfboards

Al Merrick admired their boards and they were a big influence on him in the early 70's .

The Crew at a friends ranch in OZ

Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: Greg Griffin] #2896241
01/10/19 03:27 AM
01/10/19 03:27 AM
SoCal
N
need 4 speed Offline
Miki Dora status
need 4 speed  Offline
Miki Dora status
N

SoCal