REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2895751 - 01/08/19 07:41 PM Grom pro pimping!
DerDer Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: San Diego
I was scrolling through instagram the other day and saw a sponsored ad from an account. The account belongs to an 11 year old, future wanna-be pro surfer! Paying money to advertise on instagram to boost followers?! This girl's parents are pimping her out! I think this is sad on many levels.

https://www.instagram.com/erinbrookssurf/?hl=en

#2895752 - 01/08/19 07:45 PM Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: DerDer]
QuadFin Offline
Grom

Why sad? She obivously have some skill. And to make high level in sports, must start at young age. Look at Chloe Kim. Start very young age, competition, and now set for life with gold medal, easy life, lots of money.

This girl already surf ulu, kauai, northshore, traveling world. Exciting I wish I had as a kid.

It is state of society in that ads help make followers. But in a way always been like that. Famous people make movie ticket sales, even before internet. Band sells tshirts and goods at concert.

#2895755 - 01/08/19 07:53 PM Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: DerDer]
000 Offline
Duke status

#2895758 - 01/08/19 07:56 PM Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: DerDer]
hal9000 Online   content
Tom Curren status

Loc: Urbana, Illinois
It's incredible how many parents pimp their kids out to the "industry". One thing that amazes me about surfing is how so many people can't just do it for fun, they have to also try to be part of the "industry".

#2895835 - 01/09/19 01:59 AM Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: DerDer]
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I've been seeing some really pathetic Instagram ads for grom surfers, adult surfers, surf photographers and crappy "surf" lifestyle clothing brands.

Facebook selling shovels during the gold rush.

#2895843 - 01/09/19 05:26 AM Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: Racer1]
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status

She's wearing a fugging leash.
Mom & Dad need to put on their panties ....

#2896090 - 01/09/19 03:57 PM Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: DerDer]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: in the bathroom
Thats nothing. Theres parents pimping out their own kids much younger than that.

#2896194 - 01/09/19 08:38 PM Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: DerDer]
Muscles Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: California/Hawaii
The worst are the guys on Instagram who are mid to late 20's and are still holding on to the dream. They list some third rate no name sponsors in their profile and post clips of them "ripping". If you're not on a major contract at that point, it is probably not going to happen.

#2896209 - 01/09/19 09:04 PM Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: Racer1]
hal9000 Online   content
Tom Curren status

Loc: Urbana, Illinois
Originally Posted By: Racer1
I've been seeing some really pathetic Instagram ads for grom surfers, adult surfers, surf photographers and crappy "surf" lifestyle clothing brands.

Facebook selling shovels during the gold rush.

Pretty much everything these days is marketed as "surf lifestyle".

#2896296 - 01/10/19 06:55 AM Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: hal9000]
GromsDad Offline
Duke status

Loc: West of the Atlantic. East of...
Originally Posted By: hal9000
It's incredible how many parents pimp their kids out to the "industry". One thing that amazes me about surfing is how so many people can't just do it for fun, they have to also try to be part of the "industry".

Welcome to the wonderful world of competitive grom-surfing. My personal favorite aspect is the parent run social media platforms run by parents trying to create a brand for their micro-grom with inciteful posts on Insta and fakebook that the grom clearly could never have actually written.
This is a bad day for the news media. Lets not kid ourselves, Toobin said on CNN. The larger message that a lot of people are going to take from this story is that the news media are a bunch of leftist liars who are dying to get the president, and theyre willing to lie to do it.

#2896323 - 01/10/19 10:12 AM Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: GromsDad]
CCKeith Offline
Nep status

Originally Posted By: GromsDad
My personal favorite aspect is the parent run social media platforms run by parents trying to create a brand for their micro-grom with inciteful posts on Insta and fakebook that the grom clearly could never have actually written.

this this this this this this

#2896325 - 01/10/19 10:14 AM Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: QuadFin]
CCKeith Offline
Nep status

Originally Posted By: QuadFin
Why sad? She obivously have some skill. And to make high level in sports, must start at young age. Look at Chloe Kim. Start very young age, competition, and now set for life with gold medal, easy life, lots of money.

This girl already surf ulu, kauai, northshore, traveling world. Exciting I wish I had as a kid.

It is state of society in that ads help make followers. But in a way always been like that. Famous people make movie ticket sales, even before internet. Band sells tshirts and goods at concert.

easy life? are you sure about that? and do you know anything about child athletes and burnout?

#2896328 - 01/10/19 10:18 AM Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: QuadFin]
CCKeith Offline
Nep status

Originally Posted By: QuadFin

and we wonder why they're so entitled. i hope one of these groms burns you and blows a fart in your face during his bottom turn.

#2896333 - 01/10/19 10:24 AM Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: DerDer]
oneula Offline
Michael Peterson status

Edited by oneula (01/10/19 10:24 AM)

#2896366 - 01/10/19 11:33 AM Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: DerDer]
Clayster Offline
Miki Dora status

If the surf industry had any decency, it would come up with development programs for kids that at least allow them to go to school through high school. Instead, they all drop out, are home schooled, all in the hope that they make it to the tour, and can stay there. It's horrible. I bet none of the surfers on the WSL actually attended and graduated from a high school.

Pro surfers may be the most poorly educated--and socially maladjusted-- of all professional athletes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32