REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2895799 - 01/08/19 09:51 PM Re: Gavin Newsome - insurance for the illegals - mandate for everyone [Re: CharmingSophisticate]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Loc: down der by the harbor
Surfers pay more?

LOL@U DUM DUM

You actually get cheaper insurance if you are a lancer.

#2895814 - 01/08/19 11:08 PM Re: Gavin Newsome - insurance for the illegals - mandate for everyone [Re: Wheelhouse]
GDaddy Offline
Duke status

Loc: Carlsbad
I want to pay for my own risk profiles, not for anyone else's. You should, too.

#2895817 - 01/08/19 11:37 PM Re: Gavin Newsome - insurance for the illegals - mandate for everyone [Re: GDaddy]
JEwing Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: Carlsbad, California USA
Do you realize that a West Hollywood fag and a Serbian immigrant are the erBB internet tough guys. I hang around for the laughs but you guys need to try surfing, you might like it.

#2895818 - 01/08/19 11:53 PM Re: Gavin Newsome - insurance for the illegals - mandate for everyone [Re: JEwing]
1whoknows Online   content
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: JEwing
Do you realize that a West Hollywood fag and a Serbian immigrant are the erBB internet tough guys. I hang around for the laughs but you guys need to try surfing, you might like it.
GDaddy is gay? Thats cool

#2895819 - 01/09/19 12:01 AM Re: Gavin Newsome - insurance for the illegals - mandate for everyone [Re: GDaddy]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: GDaddy

If you are semi-healthy, you are paying for somebody else, whether you like it or not.

That's how insurance works and single payer is no different.

#2895821 - 01/09/19 12:23 AM Re: Gavin Newsome - insurance for the illegals - mandate for everyone [Re: JEwing]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

I guess your near death experience didn't teach you not to be a racist homophobic xenofuck.

Sad.

#2895822 - 01/09/19 12:24 AM Re: Gavin Newsome - insurance for the illegals - mandate for everyone [Re: 1whoknows]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: 1whoknows
GDaddy is gay? Thats cool

It would be cool but no such luck.

#2895939 - 01/09/19 10:52 AM Re: Gavin Newsome - insurance for the illegals - mandate for everyone [Re: FecalFace]
GDaddy Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: FecalFace

If you are semi-healthy, you are paying for somebody else, whether you like it or not.

That's exactly the problem - the insurance carriers have increasingly been prohibited - by our government - from operating their health insurance programs in the same manner that they operate their other lines - like car insurance or building insurance - where the risk pools are separated by their respective risk profiles.

https://www.actuary.org/content/risk-pooling-how-health-insurance-individual-market-works-0

Quote:
What is adverse selection?
Adverse selection describes a situation in which an insurer (or an insurance market as a whole) attracts a disproportionate share of unhealthy individuals. It occurs because individuals with greater health care needs, when given the opportunity, are more likely to purchase health
insurance and to purchase health insurance with richer benefits than individuals with fewer health care needs.

Why is adverse selection a problem?
Adverse selection increases premiums for everyone in a health insurance plan or market because it results in a pool of enrollees with higher-than-average health care costs. Adverse selection is a byproduct of a voluntary health insurance market in which people can choose whether and when to purchase insurance coverage, depending in part on how their anticipated health care needs compare with the insurance premium charged.

The higher premiums that result from adverse selection, in turn, may lead to more healthy individuals opting out of coverage, which would result in even higher premiums. This process typically is referred to as a premium spiral. Avoiding such spirals requires minimizing adverse selection and instead attracting a broad base of healthy individuals, over which the costs of sick individuals can be spread. Attracting younger adults and healthier people of all ages ultimately will help keep premiums more affordable and stable for all members in the risk pool.

Quote:
What if some plans were allowed to avoid ACA rules altogether?
If some plans were allowed to avoid the ACA rules altogether, then plans competing to enroll the same participants wouldnt be competing under the same rules. Noncompliant plans would likely be structured to be attractive to low-cost enrollees, through fewer required benefits, higher cost- sharing, and premiums that vary by health status.

Higher-cost individuals would tend to want the broader benefits and pre-existing condition protections of ACA-compliant coverage. Rather than having a single risk pool, in which costs are spread broadly, there would be in effect two risk poolsone for ACA-compliant coverage and one for noncompliant coverage. As a result, average premiums for ACA-compliant coverage could far exceed those of noncompliant coverage, thereby destabilizing the market for compliant coverage. The instability would be exacerbated if market rules facilitate movement of people between the two pools (e.g., if people with noncompliant coverage can easily move to compliant coverage when health care needs arise).

#2895942 - 01/09/19 10:55 AM Re: Gavin Newsome - insurance for the illegals - mandate for everyone [Re: GDaddy]
heelnipstr Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Southern Tip, Norcal
Originally Posted By: FecalFace

That's exactly the problem - the insurance carriers have increasingly been prohibited - by our government - from operating their health insurance programs in the same manner that they operate their other lines - like car insurance or building insurance - where the risk pools are separated by their respective risk profiles.

https://www.actuary.org/content/risk-pooling-how-health-insurance-individual-market-works-0

Quote:
What is adverse selection?
Adverse selection describes a situation in which an insurer (or an insurance market as a whole) attracts a disproportionate share of unhealthy individuals. It occurs because individuals with greater health care needs, when given the opportunity, are more likely to purchase health
insurance and to purchase health insurance with richer benefits than individuals with fewer health care needs.

Why is adverse selection a problem?
Adverse selection increases premiums for everyone in a health insurance plan or market because it results in a pool of enrollees with higher-than-average health care costs. Adverse selection is a byproduct of a voluntary health insurance market in which people can choose whether and when to purchase insurance coverage, depending in part on how their anticipated health care needs compare with the insurance premium charged.

The higher premiums that result from adverse selection, in turn, may lead to more healthy individuals opting out of coverage, which would result in even higher premiums. This process typically is referred to as a premium spiral. Avoiding such spirals requires minimizing adverse selection and instead attracting a broad base of healthy individuals, over which the costs of sick individuals can be spread. Attracting younger adults and healthier people of all ages ultimately will help keep premiums more affordable and stable for all members in the risk pool.

Quote:
What if some plans were allowed to avoid ACA rules altogether?
If some plans were allowed to avoid the ACA rules altogether, then plans competing to enroll the same participants wouldnt be competing under the same rules. Noncompliant plans would likely be structured to be attractive to low-cost enrollees, through fewer required benefits, higher cost- sharing, and premiums that vary by health status.

Higher-cost individuals would tend to want the broader benefits and pre-existing condition protections of ACA-compliant coverage. Rather than having a single risk pool, in which costs are spread broadly, there would be in effect two risk poolsone for ACA-compliant coverage and one for noncompliant coverage. As a result, average premiums for ACA-compliant coverage could far exceed those of noncompliant coverage, thereby destabilizing the market for compliant coverage. The instability would be exacerbated if market rules facilitate movement of people between the two pools (e.g., if people with noncompliant coverage can easily move to compliant coverage when health care needs arise).

A lot of words that leave out the phrase death panels. Wonder why !

#2895944 - 01/09/19 10:59 AM Re: Gavin Newsome - insurance for the illegals - mandate for everyone [Re: Wheelhouse]
GDaddy Offline
Duke status

It pays to be a winner. That's how we humans got here.

In car insurance terms they have a separate risk pool for the superusers. aka "assigned risk"

#2895955 - 01/09/19 11:10 AM Re: Gavin Newsome - insurance for the illegals - mandate for everyone [Re: 1whoknows]
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status

I think tax funded, federally administered healthcare is a great idea. I dont see any downside except for those in for-profit healthcare management, who account for an unreasonable percentage of our healthcare costs. Obamacare has opened the door to this type of medical care and Republicans are probably not going to be able to close it again, regardless of how much money they throw at it.

I dont think its a great idea, but its coming because too many people have very negative outcomes from healthcare being rationed with the current structure

Once we go down that road, different and potentially worse problems may emerge

#2895968 - 01/09/19 11:22 AM Re: Gavin Newsome - insurance for the illegals - mandate for everyone [Re: BillyOcean]
StuAzole Offline
Tom Curren status

Originally Posted By: BillyOcean
I think tax funded, federally administered healthcare is a great idea. I dont see any downside except for those in for-profit healthcare management, who account for an unreasonable percentage of our healthcare costs. Obamacare has opened the door to this type of medical care and Republicans are probably not going to be able to close it again, regardless of how much money they throw at it.

I dont think its a great idea, but its coming because too many people have very negative outcomes from healthcare being rationed with the current structure

Once we go down that road, different and potentially worse problems may emerge

slippERY slOPE!

#2895981 - 01/09/19 11:35 AM Re: Gavin Newsome - insurance for the illegals - mandate for everyone [Re: 1whoknows]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA

I guess you've never seen the history of tax funded, federally administered programs

#2896140 - 01/09/19 06:05 PM Re: Gavin Newsome - insurance for the illegals - mandate for everyone [Re: JEwing]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck

Damn JEwing, save some pussy for the rest of us, bro.

#2896143 - 01/09/19 06:15 PM Re: Gavin Newsome - insurance for the illegals - mandate for everyone [Re: ifallalot]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

WTF is this "single matter" if not single payer?

You are misconstruing the facts.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32