REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2895253 - 01/07/19 06:55 PM Re: Xanadu on Surf n Show [Re: freeride76]
need 4 speed Online   content
Miki Dora status

Loc: SoCal
fin size and template also a very important component

#2895271 - 01/07/19 07:24 PM Re: Xanadu on Surf n Show [Re: tedshred5]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
Interesting.

One thing I noticed on a twin I had recently was that it felt like I lacked down the line projection after a bottom turn. I could get it to highline fine, but if I was dropping in straight, making a bottom turn and angling for the shoulder, there would be a hesitation in the boards acceleration.

It never felt too loose and I never felt like I had to baby my turns in any way. My fins were set 6" up from the tail and I tried 2 different sets (Akila's and Tomo's hatchet keel). Ultimately, I settled on the rationale that the center fin of a thruster wasn't just about hold, but it was also important in projecting down the line after a bottom turn. Not sure if my reasoning is faulty and there is another explanation??

I've been nervous to order another twin since.

#2895292 - 01/07/19 08:29 PM Re: Xanadu on Surf n Show [Re: jkb]
BillyOcean Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Originally Posted By: jkb
Interesting.

One thing I noticed on a twin I had recently was that it felt like I lacked down the line projection after a bottom turn. I could get it to highline fine, but if I was dropping in straight, making a bottom turn and angling for the shoulder, there would be a hesitation in the boards acceleration.

It never felt too loose and I never felt like I had to baby my turns in any way. My fins were set 6" up from the tail and I tried 2 different sets (Akila's and Tomo's hatchet keel). Ultimately, I settled on the rationale that the center fin of a thruster wasn't just about hold, but it was also important in projecting down the line after a bottom turn. Not sure if my reasoning is faulty and there is another explanation??

I feel like I can push harder on a thruster so I generate more speed

When the wave has inherent speed, Twin is faster

If I was a better surfer, Id probably be more confident pushing a twin and be faster all the time on that

Basically, I think twin surfing is more advanced

#2895293 - 01/07/19 08:30 PM Re: Xanadu on Surf n Show [Re: tedshred5]
BillyOcean Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

That Xanadu twin looks sick btw

#2895295 - 01/07/19 08:32 PM Re: Xanadu on Surf n Show [Re: jkb]
Retropete Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Interesting.

Hey, Simon didn't call the design the thruster for no reason...:-) It surely is about thrust...ergo projection.

#2895300 - 01/07/19 08:39 PM Re: Xanadu on Surf n Show [Re: tedshred5]
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: san diego, CA
i rode nothing but quads for a long, long time and this past October started throwing some thrusters in my HPSB. as long as the wave has some push i can absolutely drive the board much harder with the thruster set-up.

it's interesting feeling the differences between quad vs. thruster in similar waves.

taking that one-step further a twin will definitely have less drive than a quad set-up so the difference between a thruster and twin will be pronounced and especially so to someone used to a thruster.
Just a man and his will to survive

#2895308 - 01/07/19 09:00 PM Re: Xanadu on Surf n Show [Re: obslop]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida
Bummer you guys can't get your Twins , 4 fins and Thrusters to work the best they can .

It does involve creating fins for each .

How else could this be possible .

#2895310 - 01/07/19 09:04 PM Re: Xanadu on Surf n Show [Re: tedshred5]
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status

Loc: Kek Point
Twins and quads are faster...in a straight line.

The thruster stabilizes the board's speed.

You can have the fastest vehicle on the planet but without traction the speed it can achieve is irrelevant.

"Lots of trigger points up the pooper.
If they are causing the problem, realeasing them will help
I tried to talk my PT into doing it." -Autoprax

#2895312 - 01/07/19 09:07 PM Re: Xanadu on Surf n Show [Re: Greg Griffin]
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status

Loc: Kek Point
Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
Bummer you guys can't get your Twins , 4 fins and Thrusters to work the best they can .

It does involve creating fins for each .

How else could this be possible .

At minimum the shaper should be able to direct you to a fin template for the board.

Also I've been surprised to hear how many shapers find fin placement irrelevant and do the exact same placement for every shape.

"Lots of trigger points up the pooper.
If they are causing the problem, realeasing them will help
I tried to talk my PT into doing it." -Autoprax

#2895341 - 01/07/19 10:16 PM Re: Xanadu on Surf n Show [Re: jkb]
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: 1134
Originally Posted By: freeride76
nice, but the very first thing you notice about twin fin footage is the immediate loss of a really hard turn back into the pocket and a good roundhouse cutback..........

which those waves were crying out for imo.

Do you think that's a function of a twin fin in general, or a twin with fins placed too far forward?

Both. If the fins are place too far forward, they slide. 6" shouldn't slide out.

The problem with twins is that they lack drive through a turn. I figured this out riding my current board w/o twinzer canards. Putting the canards in make the board project out of a bottom turn with way more speed. W/o canards, the board lagged out of the bottom turn and slow.

I haven't owned a thruster in about 10 years, rode quads for 5 years before switching to twinzers. Every time I jump on someone's thruster to try, it feels like I'm dragging kelp, but in a turn they feel good as long as I don't have to make my own speed (pump).

#2895546 - 01/08/19 01:33 PM Re: Xanadu on Surf n Show [Re: ghostshaper]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
Originally Posted By: ghostshaper
Originally Posted By: freeride76
nice, but the very first thing you notice about twin fin footage is the immediate loss of a really hard turn back into the pocket and a good roundhouse cutback..........

which those waves were crying out for imo.

Do you think that's a function of a twin fin in general, or a twin with fins placed too far forward?

Both. If the fins are place too far forward, they slide. 6" shouldn't slide out.

The problem with twins is that they lack drive through a turn. I figured this out riding my current board w/o twinzer canards. Putting the canards in make the board project out of a bottom turn with way more speed. W/o canards, the board lagged out of the bottom turn and slow.

I haven't owned a thruster in about 10 years, rode quads for 5 years before switching to twinzers. Every time I jump on someone's thruster to try, it feels like I'm dragging kelp, but in a turn they feel good as long as I don't have to make my own speed (pump).

cheers

My suspicion is confirmed.

I should have also added that I didn't feel that same lag on the twinzer of yours that I surfed, but I also wasn't doing deep bottom turns on that day. More of a down-the-line takeoff.

#2895777 - 01/08/19 08:24 PM Re: Xanadu on Surf n Show [Re: jkb]
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: 1134
I caught two shvt waves that day. Your board felt like one of my student's tiny boards when I used to trade w/ them (and I'm lighter than you).

Adding the canards makes a huge difference in hold and drive off the bottom or in a cutback.

To keep it Xanadu related, I had a custom hand shape by Xanadu in the early 90s. When my brother picked it up along w/ his board, Xanadu was proud/happy to tell him that mine was hand shaped.

It was the potato chip era, and I didn't get the drive out of it that I was getting at the time on my JCs, so I put it in the used rack at the surf shop I worked at. It was contest season and Taj Burrow ended up buying it as a backup (think he was on Webbers or MCs at the time). When I found out, I was a stoked grom. jam_on

#2895892 - 01/09/19 09:52 AM Re: Xanadu on Surf n Show [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida
Casa , can you give examples - no names tho

"Also I've been surprised to hear how many shapers find fin placement irrelevant and do the exact same placement for every shape."

It looked like this board worked the best yet for Noel .

Off to finish 40 fins for customs

#2895893 - 01/09/19 09:56 AM Re: Xanadu on Surf n Show [Re: tedshred5]
retodd Offline
Duke status

Greg Griffin

Mayhem
JS
DHD

All use the same Tri fin placement for stock boards

Mayhem uses the same quad location on all but the retro end

JS has only 2 quad placements

DHD all the same every board