REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2894922 - 01/07/19 08:37 AM Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status

Loc: Kek Point

"Lots of trigger points up the pooper.
If they are causing the problem, realeasing them will help
I tried to talk my PT into doing it." -Autoprax

#2894926 - 01/07/19 09:13 AM Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Sharkbiscuit Online   content
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Jacksonville Beach
I'm pretty sure that's Josh Miller here in Duuuuuuval on the repair; Schroff had another post with a phone screenshot saying this was from Florida.

I'm surprised these things do so well here in FL; Corevac, Black Dart, C3, and local EPS price points competitive imho. Almost zero idea how GSI polys sell.

Edited by Sharkbiscuit (01/07/19 09:13 AM)

#2894933 - 01/07/19 09:41 AM Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta]
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status

The GSI in the pic is EPS.

#2894940 - 01/07/19 09:52 AM Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Sharkbiscuit Online   content
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Jacksonville Beach
Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta
The GSI in the pic is EPS.

Right, at least that one has *something* going for it, on paper in theory, as a Fiberflex build which isn't available locally. There is so much cheap poly to be had these days that when I see GSI poly on the racks I just wonder.

#2894952 - 01/07/19 10:06 AM Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
So what's the problem, boxes leaked?

Does a performance surfboard ever last more than 5 years?

#2894961 - 01/07/19 10:18 AM Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta]
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status

The problem is wood glue.

#2894968 - 01/07/19 10:40 AM Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: ifallalot]
Caelho Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: ifallalot
So what's the problem, boxes leaked?

looks like they only used glue on the install. I believe you can use a little glue to set the boxes and then backfill the boxes with resin, not the normal install method but can be done.
I do a lot of ding repair and the Asian stuff sucks, not all of it though, I've seen good quality from there, HS included

#2895027 - 01/07/19 12:48 PM Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Retropete Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Sunny Coast Qld Australia
After looking at Schroff's bio on his website it irks me that he's railing on Asian imported surfboards when he's spent decades working for surf clothing corporations that made all their products in Asia. Now he's cruising around in his van to get away from the crowds he helped create with the image marketing of surfing and building replica surfboard models of McCoys and MR's. Wonder if he's sending them royalties for that?
Only choosing to fight the good fight when it comes to surfboards is BS in my eyes.
Easy target for marketing though.

#2895054 - 01/07/19 01:28 PM Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta]
mundus Offline
Miki Dora status

Did the boxes just fall out? Don't see any damage around the boxes.

#2895056 - 01/07/19 01:32 PM Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
Hey look! Schroff got his Instagram back. monkey

Oops.........on second glance, no he didn't. He had to spell his name differently. roflmao

Edited by jkb (01/07/19 02:05 PM)

#2895069 - 01/07/19 01:50 PM Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta]
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status

Nail on the head

Could also be applied to so many other things...recycling...global warming aware Amazon Prime users...etc.

#2895135 - 01/07/19 03:41 PM Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: mundus]
Caelho Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: mundus
Did the boxes just fall out? Don't see any damage around the boxes.

I repaired a local pro's untitled HS that was sold to a grom, and resold to another grom with this problem. The first time I replaced the side box and repaired the other box due to cracks, grom did not want to pay for replacing second box, I warned him. The second grom that got it i had to replace the other box, rear fin was fine for now. So even though it was glued they did not pop out, due to the fiberglass capping it, just cracked all around the box and wobbling around taking in buckets of water. It probably still has water in it even though it drained for days. It's amazing how much water those things soak up from tiny holes. I should post pictures of the quality issues I come across, and not just the Asian stuff.

I hated that board laugh

#2895158 - 01/07/19 04:22 PM Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Retropete Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta
Nail on the head

Could also be applied to so many other things...recycling...global warming aware Amazon Prime users...etc.

Also shows the sphere of demand for the two products pictured. Schroff wasn't pointing out the supply and demand chain back when he was working for the corporations pumping out their products from Asia to the rest of the world.
In his case I just don't like his tactics when knowing his past work choices didn't gel with the gospel he's now preaching.
My most recent board is a hand shaped 7'4" old school single, triple stringer that was completely built in the factory 2 mins from my house. They were cleaning out stuff and found the dust covered blank with a thick crust on it as it had been in there so long and forgotten. Underneath the crust was a triple stringer blank. Apparently it was a bitch to shape since the blank had gone so hard. Millsy (the shaper) turned it into a beautiful old school board and Jobbo (hey it's and Aussie thing with the nicknames) glassed it with Volan glass. I bought it from their shop which is 8 mins from my house. Picked it up in what used to be the shop van which I have now owned for years. Re-cycle-re-use!
So I like hand shapes, locally made just like the next guy!

#2895180 - 01/07/19 05:02 PM Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta]
indodreams Offline
Nep status

It's obviously been pointed out a number of times, even been discussed and explained in great depth here by the Eco surf guys etc.

Carbon footprint of shipping/travel is only one factor and often only a small factor in carbon footprint.

Really only comes into play when comparing apples with apples and not apples with oranges.

Edited by indodreams (01/07/19 05:03 PM)

#2895183 - 01/07/19 05:05 PM Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta]
indodreams Offline
Nep status

Had a Chilli EPS/Epoxy Future flex with futures...no issues with the boxes, but boy did that board yellow and it's only the second EPS/Epoxy board I've snapped.

BTW. Pretty funny that dude despite all the trolling he has done at Kelly and FW and now HS etc
only has 919 followers on Instagram..

Edited by indodreams (01/07/19 05:12 PM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >