REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: ko25ok] #2895513
01/08/19 05:30 PM
01/08/19 05:30 PM
CA
S
stu dog Offline
Duke status
stu dog  Offline
Duke status
S

CA
Originally Posted By: ko25ok
Originally Posted By: Duffy
Originally Posted By: 20W-50 and blood
is the answer low income housing...or limiting/taxing/who knows? the psychotic amount of income properties?

Or, you know, you could move to a more affordable area....

THIS

I’ll never understand not moving to a more affordable area.

My entire family is from Hawaii and I’m fortunate enough right now to still live here and am doing okay. If things started to get tonight and I started to really feel the the effects of the INSANE cost of living than I’d be gone and moved to the mainland in a second. Wouldn’t even ever consider my family living in the projects or homeless on the beach.

Why people aren’t willing to be more mobile is beyond me.

cause jobs aren't mobile. When you can only afford maybe something in Santa Clarita but your job is Santa Monica. hour 1/2 drive one way on a good day.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: stu dog] #2895521
01/08/19 05:52 PM
01/08/19 05:52 PM
R
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status
RWVBWL  Offline
Nep status
R

Originally Posted By: stu dog

cause jobs aren't mobile. When you can only afford maybe something in Santa Clarita but your job is Santa Monica. hour 1/2 drive one way on a good day.

Traffic, traffic, traffic.
Yep, tooo much drive time!

Say you have a 1 hour commute each way to get to work, 1 hour to to get back home.
That's 2 hours a day behind the wheel heading to+from.

Multiply that times 5 work days a week,
you now have 10 hours behind the wheel each work week.

Multiply that by 4 work weeks a month, congrats, you will have spent 40 hours this month,
One Whole Work Week, just drivin' to + from work, right? F**k that, it's gotta suck!

I hope that your boss gives you a paycheck for those 40 hours of your time this month...
frown

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: stu dog] #2895532
01/08/19 06:14 PM
01/08/19 06:14 PM
California/Hawaii
M
Muscles Offline
Nep status
Muscles  Offline
Nep status
M

California/Hawaii

That's a cop out.

There's plenty of jobs in affordable parts of the country. People move everyday and start over in a cheaper place. The internet makes it even easier. You can apply for jobs and find something well before you even get to wherever you're going.

Let's be realistic. People want to live in California and Hawaii and some believe that it is their right because their family lives there.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: Muscles] #2895534
01/08/19 06:16 PM
01/08/19 06:16 PM
CA
S
stu dog Offline
Duke status
stu dog  Offline
Duke status
S

CA
Originally Posted By: Muscles

That's a cop out.

There's plenty of jobs in affordable parts of the country. People move everyday and start over in a cheaper place. The internet makes it even easier. You can apply for jobs and find something well before you even get to wherever you're going.

Let's be realistic. People want to live in California and Hawaii and some believe that it is their right because their family lives there.

the 405/10 intersection is a major major area for jobs. lucky enough I got in here for housing before prices went crazy. nearly everyone I work with commutes an hour+ daily to that area. telecommuting is pretty rare in my experience.

Last edited by stu dog; 01/08/19 06:17 PM.
Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: stu dog] #2895540
01/08/19 06:26 PM
01/08/19 06:26 PM
California/Hawaii
M
Muscles Offline
Nep status
Muscles  Offline
Nep status
M

California/Hawaii
Originally Posted By: Muscles

That's a cop out.

the 405/10 intersection is a major major area for jobs. lucky enough I got in here for housing before prices went crazy. nearly everyone I work with commutes an hour+ daily to that area. telecommuting is pretty rare in my experience.

Some people need to face reality and realize they can't afford California unless they want to put up with the 1.5 HR commutes to live out in the middle of nowhere.

My wife's family is from California. Three families had enough and had to move to Texas to afford a house. One family moved way inland and does the long commute in order to own a house.

I never understood those that can't afford California or Hawaii but insist on living paycheck to paycheck and on the brink of homelessness.

Last edited by Muscles; 01/08/19 06:48 PM.
Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: thrillkicker] #2895542
01/08/19 06:30 PM
01/08/19 06:30 PM
F
frvcvs Offline
Duke status
frvcvs  Offline
Duke status
F

It's not just Los Angeles. And homelessness is a real crisis that POTUS should be talking about instead of this border nonsense.

"Milk tits rule!" - Bonzer5Fin

"I've been against every Trump/Republican policy implemented and expressed it here." - Caca_Mugrienta

"I'm someone who has spent way more time in the black community than most white people." - Caca_Mugrienta

"Your credential as an ERbb conservative is officially blown." - Squidley

"while it has over 8,000 nerve endings, a clitoris is nowhere near as sensitive as a MAGA snowflake " - StuAzole
Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: frvcvs] #2895601
01/08/19 07:38 PM
01/08/19 07:38 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Online sleepy
Duke status
GDaddy  Online Sleepy
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
Originally Posted By: frvcvs
It's not just Los Angeles. And homelessness is a real crisis that POTUS should be talking about instead of this border nonsense.

California has ~12% of the nation's population but (supposedly) 25% of homeless. The State of California has a much bigger homeless problem than most states.

#sowhat
Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: thrillkicker] #2895634
01/08/19 08:57 PM
01/08/19 08:57 PM
LA
N
NDG80 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
NDG80  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
N

LA
Commuting stresses me out more than paying too much for rent. I walk to work now and it’s pricelss to me.

Also jobs aren’t mobile. There are only really 3 places in the world that you can do my job in the medium I’ve chosen and make a decent living doing it.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: GDaddy] #2895640
01/08/19 09:00 PM
01/08/19 09:00 PM
F
frvcvs Offline
Duke status
frvcvs  Offline
Duke status
F

Originally Posted By: GDaddy
Originally Posted By: frvcvs

California has ~12% of the nation's population but (supposedly) 25% of homeless. The State of California has a much bigger homeless problem than most states.

It’s definitely ground zero. No arguing that. But that doesn’t mean the problem doesn’t extend beyond our borders. I was just in Washington State last week and there were very similar encampments.

"Milk tits rule!" - Bonzer5Fin

"I've been against every Trump/Republican policy implemented and expressed it here." - Caca_Mugrienta

"I'm someone who has spent way more time in the black community than most white people." - Caca_Mugrienta

"Your credential as an ERbb conservative is officially blown." - Squidley

"while it has over 8,000 nerve endings, a clitoris is nowhere near as sensitive as a MAGA snowflake " - StuAzole
Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: NDG80] #2895642
01/08/19 09:02 PM
01/08/19 09:02 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Online sleepy
Duke status
GDaddy  Online Sleepy
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
Originally Posted By: NDG80
Commuting stresses me out more than paying too much for rent. I walk to work now and it’s pricelss to me.

Also jobs aren’t mobile. There are only really 3 places in the world that you can do my job in the medium I’ve chosen and make a decent living doing it.

That right there is a significant obstacle. But it doesn't apply to most occupations.

I think the question that probably most people should ask themselves is how much they are gaining or losing as a direct result of the combination of choices they have made. When the gains outweigh the losses then that's good; when it's the other way around, not so good.

#sowhat
Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: thrillkicker] #2895656
01/08/19 09:25 PM
01/08/19 09:25 PM
R
Random Guy Offline
Duke status
Random Guy  Offline
Duke status
R

A lot of California has great weather for homeless living. Ever try being homeless in New York in February ? No, because it’s too f*cking cold!
How about Florida in August?
Hell no!
But Los Angeles ?
Outdoors all day every day
Just sayin is all
cowabunga
rg

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: Duffy] #2895657
01/08/19 09:29 PM
01/08/19 09:29 PM
san diego, CA
O
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status
obslop  Offline
Phil Edwards status
O

san diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Duffy
Originally Posted By: obslop
of relevance:

James Stack, who predicted the 2008 real estate crash and nailed last year’s housing slowdown with uncanny timing, is back with some bad news for 2019.

“Housing could be heading for its worst year since the last housing crash," Stack, 67, said in a phone interview. “Expect home sales to continue on a downward trend in the next 12-plus months. And there’s a significant downside risk to housing prices if a recession takes hold.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...rst-yet-to-come

So housing will get cheaper.

Good news for the homeless!!!!*

*except for the fact that most homeless people are not that way because of housing prices....

the next real estate downturn will coincide with an economic recession IMO so it's more about purchasing power than price.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: NDG80] #2895671
01/08/19 09:46 PM
01/08/19 09:46 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA

This is why I chose to buy in San Francisco than the East Bay.

Great minds think alike! cheers

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: Mr Doof] #2895716
01/08/19 11:25 PM
01/08/19 11:25 PM
M
MrDobalina Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
MrDobalina  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

Originally Posted By: Mr Doof

This is why I chose to buy in San Francisco than the East Bay.

Great minds think alike! cheers

I wish I could buy in SF.
I'm struggling to keep our rent controlled apartment now that our roommate has left.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: Random Guy] #2895717
01/08/19 11:26 PM
01/08/19 11:26 PM
M
MrDobalina Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
MrDobalina  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

Originally Posted By: Random Guy
A lot of California has great weather for homeless living. Ever try being homeless in New York in February ? No, because it’s too f*cking cold!
How about Florida in August?
Hell no!
But Los Angeles ?
Outdoors all day every day
Just sayin is all
cowabunga
rg

I read recently that the homeless population by city was
1. NYC
2. LA
3 Seattle
4 SD
5 San Jose

Shocking to me, and probably shocking to those that eat up the Anti SF hype.

Not shocking? All major tech hubs

Last edited by MrDobalina; 01/08/19 11:30 PM.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32