REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: ifallalot] #2894671
01/06/19 05:53 PM
01/06/19 05:53 PM
H
hammies Offline
Michael Peterson status
hammies  Offline
Michael Peterson status
H

Originally Posted By: ifallalot
Originally Posted By: manbearpig
Gentrification. On surface itís all good, and one would think making a shitty area nice is all butterflies and unicorns, but itís not.

Nothing is butterflies and unicorns. However the good outweighs the bad. Its just the way things work

The weight of good vs bad 100% relies on perspective. Thatís how it actually works.

Objectively better

Yeah, but the Padres are objectively NOT better than they were 20 years ago.

"The world needs fewer arrogant pricks."
Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: ifallalot] #2894674
01/06/19 05:57 PM
01/06/19 05:57 PM
your mom
F
FecalFace Offline
Duke status
FecalFace  Offline
Duke status
F

your mom

Objectively better for the top 1%

Fixed.

Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: hammies] #2894677
01/06/19 06:04 PM
01/06/19 06:04 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Offline
Duke status
Kento  Offline
Duke status
K

The Bar
Originally Posted By: hammies
Gentrification. On surface itís all good, and one would think making a shitty area nice is all butterflies and unicorns, but itís not.

Nothing is butterflies and unicorns. However the good outweighs the bad. Its just the way things work

The weight of good vs bad 100% relies on perspective. Thatís how it actually works.

Objectively better

Petco Park is a very poor example of culture changing naturally. Its not like the city and stadium grew around each other together like some of the more historic stadiums in America.

Meh, this might be part of my gripe about the high-priced state of the art stadiums. All I want (and I know I'm not alone) is a good view of the game with reasonably priced food and beer, better yet if you can bring your own in (whether overtly or subtlely). Screw all the rest. Not worth dropping several hundred dollars for a family of 4.

Nothing is obscene provided it is done in bad taste.

Russ Meyer
Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2894679
01/06/19 06:09 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
The mechanism of redevelopment agencies that they used diverted resources and fees that would normally have gone towards the operations of the entire city into those specific neighborhoods.

I'm glad the city of SD didn't cave into the Chargers.

#sowhat
Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2894680
M
mundus Offline
Phil Edwards status
mundus  Offline
Phil Edwards status
M

And the Taxpayers usually end up paying for the stadiums, not the ultra rich owners.

Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: ifallalot] #2894684
01/06/19 06:21 PM
01/06/19 06:21 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom

Objectively better

Itís still perspective based. shrug

Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: hammies] #2894693
01/06/19 06:33 PM
01/06/19 06:33 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Originally Posted By: hammies

Objectively better

This is a fact.

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: Kento] #2894694
01/06/19 06:35 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Originally Posted By: Kento

Petco Park is a very poor example of culture changing naturally. Its not like the city and stadium grew around each other together like some of the more historic stadiums in America.

Meh, this might be part of my gripe about the high-priced state of the art stadiums. All I want (and I know I'm not alone) is a good view of the game with reasonably priced food and beer, better yet if you can bring your own in (whether overtly or subtlely). Screw all the rest. Not worth dropping several hundred dollars for a family of 4.

I didn't even imply that was cultural change, it was gentrification for the better. That area of SD was a cesspool, now it's great.

Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: mundus] #2894695
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Originally Posted By: mundus
And the Taxpayers usually end up paying for the stadiums, not the ultra rich owners.

The point was the EVUL GENTRFIKATION of the area once the stadium was built.

Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: manbearpig] #2894696
01/06/19 06:36 PM
01/06/19 06:36 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA

There's no one in the world that thinks a blighted area with struggling businesses is better than a thriving area

Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: ifallalot] #2894698
01/06/19 06:40 PM
01/06/19 06:40 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Offline
Duke status
Kento  Offline
Duke status
K

The Bar
Originally Posted By: Kento

I didn't even imply that was cultural change, it was gentrification for the better. That area of SD was a cesspool, now it's great.

Not to mention an environmental disaster in a lot of areas there. It has improved - Gaslamp isn't really my style but I'll grant you that.

Nothing is obscene provided it is done in bad taste.

Russ Meyer
Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: ifallalot] #2894702
01/06/19 06:47 PM
01/06/19 06:47 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom

There's no one in the world that thinks a blighted area with struggling businesses is better than a thriving area

Those who can no longer afford rent will think otherwise. It even has downsides for non residents.

Last edited by manbearpig; 01/06/19 06:47 PM.
Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: ifallalot] #2894704
01/06/19 06:49 PM
01/06/19 06:49 PM
your mom
F
FecalFace Offline
Duke status
FecalFace  Offline
Duke status
F

your mom

Thriving for few ≠ Thriving

Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: GDaddy] #2894708
01/06/19 06:52 PM
01/06/19 06:52 PM
your mom
F
FecalFace Offline
Duke status
FecalFace  Offline
Duke status
F

your mom
Originally Posted By: GDaddy
The mechanism of redevelopment agencies that they used diverted resources and fees that would normally have gone towards the operations of the entire city into those specific neighborhoods.

I'm glad the city of SD didn't cave into the Chargers.

Every city should tell NFL to fvck off.

It's mind boggling that taxpayer is subsidizing that idiocy.

Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2894718
01/06/19 07:28 PM
01/06/19 07:28 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

West of the Atlantic. East of...
I live in a neighborhood that was "Gentrified" so to speak about 15 years ago. When I got out of college I had no real money but wanted to buy a house. I really wanted to be near the beach. An opportunity fell in my lap to buy a storm damaged house in a predominantly african american neighborhood. House was good sized on a nice sized lot, I could ride my bike to surf and paid next to nothing for the house and just about nothing in property taxes. When I bought the house I didn't realize the problems that surrounded it. All I saw was how cheap I could buy it for and how short the bike ride was to one of my favorite surf spots. This was during the crack epidemic of the early 90s. We had a crack house two doors away and across the street a dumpy luncheonette with a payphone outside. We could lay in bed at night and listen to the desperate addicts on the payphone trying to score a fix. Tons of stories I could tell. There were numerous flop houses and abandoned houses around me. Frequent fights in the street, bottle throwing, trash everywhere. It was a really dumpy neighborhood. By the late 90s were were thinking about starting a family and planned on selling and moving if things didn't start improving quickly. Luckily they did.

Couple of things started happening.

First: By the late 90s there was a big influx of Mexican construction workers into the town that came with the building boom that was just beginning. The Mexicans gobbled up all of the rental properties around me that had been section 8 and problem rentals. The Mexicans literally squeezed out most of the drug addicts and problem individuals and were good neighbors not bothering anyone. They would pay good money to the landdlords and were good tenants compared to what had been there before. If anything their landlords were probably over charging them because they could.

Second: By the early 2000s the building boom reached my forgotten neighborhood. I am one of only a handful of property owners in the neighborhood since the early 90s not to sell. These dummies took offers as low as $15,000-$30,000 for their houses and lots. The developer who bought up all these properties then approached me to rally some of my neighbors to help him get a variance so he could subdivide the properties. For me and my neighbors this would mean that our single lots would become double lots on the zoning map. The zoning change was approved. Within 1 year there were 9 new beautiful beach houses built on my street. The luncheonette across the street was torn down and replaced with 3 single family homes. Cha Ching for everyone who stayed the course and didn't sell out!!!!

Some of the remaining few african american neighbors who remain have made resentful racist comments about all the changes to the neighborhood at the same time they have reaped huge economic and lifestyle rewards for having those changes take place. If I were to put my property on the market today it would sell for many times what I paid for it in the early 90s.

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32