REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2894610 - 01/06/19 11:33 AM Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: Duffy]
heelnipstr Online   content
Miki Dora status

Loc: Southern Tip, Norcal
Originally Posted By: Duffy
Originally Posted By: CharmingSophisticate
Quote:
Speakers at the Saturday rally railed against the city’s ordinance, calling it a “secret lien” that would force landowners to ultimately sell to well-heeled private developers and lose out on loans or other financial services which would allow them to update their building to meet safety requirements.

That’s some Alex Jones level conspiratard thinking right there...
I don't think that's entirely crazy- it'd be a great way pull the Eminent Domain trick (that Democrats are always want to do) without actually saying the words.

Either way, it is nice to see the "liberal-progressive" Industrial Complex eating itself alive.

Where I live there are signs warning of “high fire” areas and “tsunami warning” areas. Those are, for the most part, in the wealthiest areas.

Must be “the man” trying to punish whitey.

Not punish but rich whitey knowing the gubment will bail him out when the natural disaster eventually comes.

Gentrification is just a natural social occurrence. It's good to invigorate stale communities but something positive is lost when those old communities are replaced. I have watched my little area of SF become gentrified over the past 14 years. Not sure I would choose again to live here the way it is now.

#2894613 - 01/06/19 11:37 AM Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: ifallalot]
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status

Loc: Kek Point
Originally Posted By: ifallalot
roflmao

Full retard all around. Not surprising from Portland

This is a great illustration of the needless bullshit that people in government who think they are doing something well-meaning but just causes monetary waste (the signs) and social problems (idiots protesting idiot things). We're dealing with something that the government didn't even need to address, since anyone with a modicum of common sense knows that brick buildings are more liable to be damaged by earthquakes

BUT WHYTE SUPREMACY PEOPLE NEED SUNSCREEN AREN'T REEL MERICANS

Nanny state meets identity politics.

"Lots of trigger points up the pooper.
If they are causing the problem, realeasing them will help
I tried to talk my PT into doing it." -Autoprax

#2894614 - 01/06/19 11:38 AM Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: ifallalot]
everysurfr Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: Santa Barbara County
roflmao
We're dealing with something that the government didn't even need to address, since anyone with a modicum of common sense knows that brick buildings are more liable to be damaged by earthquakes

BUT WHYTE SUPREMACY PEOPLE NEED SUNSCREEN AREN'T REEL MERICANS

If you read closer, it says unreinforced buildings.

It isn't always obvious which brick buildings are unreinforced, and which ones have been retrofitted.

Get a construction loan, retrofit the building, and raise the rent enough to cover the cost

I thought libertarians relied on a well informed consumer. You should be all for this

#2894615 - 01/06/19 11:41 AM Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Kento Online   content
Duke status

Loc: The Bar
Does this mean Bonzer5Fin will be performing Night of the Living Rednecks at the next erBB benefit concert?

Russ Meyer

#2894616 - 01/06/19 11:42 AM Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: ifallalot]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Loc: down der by the harbor
roflmao

Full retard all around. Not surprising from Portland

That must be why Portland is consistently voted #1 liveable city in the US, while HB is #83.

#2894618 - 01/06/19 11:45 AM Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: Duffy]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: manbearpig
Quote:
They argue the policy will force artificially low sales prices for properties

Well I think they’re right about this and the resulting gentrification.

But I don’t see red lining or discriminating acts based on what the article says alone. Seems like they are over sensitive to past practices, which is understandable.

Gentrification.

I never understood what’s wrong with turning a shithole into a nice neighborhood.

What's the use of the nice neighbourhood if nobody can afford to live there.

The poor consistently get pushed out to new ghettos.

#2894632 - 01/06/19 12:02 PM Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: manbearpig]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
Gentrification. On surface it’s all good, and one would think making a shitty area nice is all butterflies and unicorns, but it’s not.

Nothing is butterflies and unicorns. However the good outweighs the bad. Its just the way things work

#2894634 - 01/06/19 12:16 PM Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: ifallalot]
Kento Online   content
Duke status

Gentrification. On surface it’s all good, and one would think making a shitty area nice is all butterflies and unicorns, but it’s not.

Nothing is butterflies and unicorns. However the good outweighs the bad. Its just the way things work

For long-time residents of LA, how many of you remember the burger stands/shanties in downtown? Greasy tin shacks, about 120 degrees inside, but awesomely good. I find it sad that they got zoned/gentrified out of existence. They were all but cultural landmarks and partly represented the soul of LA.

Yeah, downtown has gotten "cleaned up" (more like the homeless got shifted east a few blocks) but is it really better? Maybe it's because I don't give a shit about tourist/transplant clubs/bars where one might see a Kardashian(!) but I think the homogenization is terrible and very dull.

Let me guess, the new developments will be mixed use with apartments on top and Panda Express, Chipotle, and Peet's Coffee on the ground floor? rolleyes

Russ Meyer

#2894636 - 01/06/19 12:18 PM Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: ifallalot]
FecalFace Offline
Duke status

Except "the good" is just for selected few.

#2894640 - 01/06/19 12:25 PM Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: Kento]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: Kento

For long-time residents of LA, how many of you remember the burger stands/shanties in downtown? Greasy tin shacks, about 120 degrees inside, but awesomely good. I find it sad that they got zoned/gentrified out of existence. They were all but cultural landmarks.

Yeah, downtown has gotten "cleaned up" (more like the homeless got shifted east a few blocks) but is it really better? Maybe it's because I don't give a shit about tourist/transplant clubs/bars where one might see a Kardashian(!) but I think the homogenization is terrible and very dull.

Let me guess, the new developments will be mixed use with apartments on top and Panda Express, Chipotle, and Peet's Coffee on the ground floor? rolleyes

Homogenization sucks, but the new ghettoes are going to develop their own new cultural landmarks

Should something always be frozen in time? Or should culture be allowed to develop naturally?

#2894643 - 01/06/19 12:28 PM Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: FecalFace]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: FecalFace

Except "the good" is just for selected few.

You can say the same thing about the "bad"

It's only a selected few who have to move, and the economic revivals of areas that get gentrified affects a lot more people.

But I guess places are better off left like this

#2894644 - 01/06/19 12:28 PM Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: ifallalot]
Kento Online   content
Duke status

For long-time residents of LA, how many of you remember the burger stands/shanties in downtown? Greasy tin shacks, about 120 degrees inside, but awesomely good. I find it sad that they got zoned/gentrified out of existence. They were all but cultural landmarks.

Homogenization sucks, but the new ghettoes are going to develop their own new cultural landmarks

Should something always be frozen in time? Or should culture be allowed to develop naturally?

How natural do you find big money rolling in, interested in nothing but the almighty dollar?

Russ Meyer

#2894645 - 01/06/19 12:29 PM Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: ifallalot]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: in the bathroom

The weight of good vs bad 100% relies on perspective. That’s how it actually works.

#2894648 - 01/06/19 12:30 PM Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: Kento]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: in the bathroom

How natural do you find big money rolling in, interested in nothing but the almighty dollar?

That’s the libertarian dream. $$$$ over freedom of the individual.

#2894651 - 01/06/19 12:34 PM Re: Can we talk about white supremacy? [Re: manbearpig]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

The weight of good vs bad 100% relies on perspective. That’s how it actually works.

Objectively better

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32