REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2893747 - 01/04/19 03:46 AM FIN talk
shaheeb Offline
Grom

Really want to learn more about fins and have been feeling like a beginner grommet regarding what fins to run.

Thrusters / quads / twins

Is there some marketing BS behind fin construction materials and the extensive variety of options?
.. getting confused over here

#2893750 - 01/04/19 05:03 AM Re: FIN talk [Re: shaheeb]
Hopeless Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

There definitely is a difference between constructions. The main thing I have found is that different people like different fins... even if they're riding the same type of boards and fins.

For example, I'm not a fan of the Al Merrick template, even though it's probably the 2nd or 3rd most popular template around here.

#2893753 - 01/04/19 07:02 AM Re: FIN talk [Re: shaheeb]
Mr J Offline
Nep status

Loc: Melbourne Australia
I wrote about this here https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2873720#Post2873720

I summarised that in one sentence here

https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2874276#Post2874276

Also Hopeless is right about personal preference. I am one of those who likes the AM templates in all sorts of materials and boards.

#2893777 - 01/04/19 09:42 AM Re: FIN talk [Re: shaheeb]
njsurfer42 Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: shrouded in a 5/4
Retodd to the white courtesy phone, please

#2893809 - 01/04/19 10:45 AM Re: FIN talk [Re: shaheeb]
Duffy Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Your moms house
Quote:

Yes / yes / yes

- The Wasp

#2895077 - 01/07/19 01:59 PM Re: FIN talk [Re: shaheeb]
flyinraptr Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Hacienda Iguana, Nicaragua
Originally Posted By: shaheeb
Really want to learn more about fins and have been feeling like a beginner grommet regarding what fins to run.

Is there some marketing BS behind fin construction materials and the extensive variety of options?
.. getting confused over here

Whenever marketing is involved there is bound to be a certain level of BS - or at least some exaggeration of benefits. IMHO - decision on thruster, quad, twin, single - really comes down to how you want to surf on that particular board or in specific wave conditions. The only way to find out what is best for you is to experiment and find out what you prefer. What i can tell you is that fins can completely change the characteristics of a board - and i am not just talking about going from say thruster to quad - i'm referring to the overall template - upright vs raked as well as material - stiff vs flex etc. Personally - i like to change fins and configurations up every so often - just to keep things fresh / interesting.

#2895426 - 01/08/19 08:41 AM Re: FIN talk [Re: flyinraptr]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida
Personally - i like to change fins and configurations up every so often - just to keep things fresh / interesting.

Your missing something Very Special

Both the board and fins planing together creating what surfers call "Magic"

Once you become aware of this feeling - experience you will want this in all boards .

Specific fins and placements along with the boards design is the only way for this to occur .

No fin company or Podcast is aware of this . wave2

#2895450 - 01/08/19 10:06 AM Re: FIN talk [Re: Greg Griffin]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
Setup a demo with noel salas so he he discover this magic you speak of.

#2895453 - 01/08/19 10:15 AM Re: FIN talk [Re: silentbutdeadly]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

That would harm his industry connection .

This is a factor and consideration in all these media reviews and podcasts .

#2895459 - 01/08/19 10:45 AM Re: FIN talk [Re: shaheeb]
nightfly Offline
Michael Peterson status

I've gotten a lot of great advice from folks here like Retodd and others. I find that asking specific questions about specific boards is the best way to learn.

Personally I don't like the AM template either, but I find that for example the K2.1 template (Futures WCS) which is a fairly small fin with not much rake, works really well when you want to loosen up a board that has plenty of drive already. Conversely bigger fins with more rake work on boards that lack drive but are plenty loose.

Quads are black magic to me but again, thanks to folks here, I've hit on some magic combinations like Merrick Twins in front and controller rears on my Bottom Feeder.

Every time I get a board, I try what I have and suspect might work and then I post up here and see what people think once I have a general idea of what the board isn't doing and I want it to do.

#2895460 - 01/08/19 10:49 AM Re: FIN talk [Re: nightfly]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
The todd has helped me a few times as well (maybe more)

I'm not a huge AM fan either. Only really liked them on one board.

#2895463 - 01/08/19 10:55 AM Re: FIN talk [Re: Greg Griffin]
flyinraptr Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Hacienda Iguana, Nicaragua
Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
Personally - i like to change fins and configurations up every so often - just to keep things fresh / interesting.

Your missing something Very Special

Both the board and fins planing together creating what surfers call "Magic"

Once you become aware of this feeling - experience you will want this in all boards .

Specific fins and placements along with the boards design is the only way for this to occur .

No fin company or Podcast is aware of this . wave2

Respectively disagree with you GG. Sure if the waves are firing - obviously want to put your best foot or equipment forward. But - unfortunately those conditions don't exist every day ... so when its fat, slow, marginal or super small - and you just want to get in the water and get some exercise - why not mix it up and experiment? Or have you reached the point of forgetting that sometimes its just about going out and having some fun?

#2895525 - 01/08/19 01:02 PM Re: FIN talk [Re: flyinraptr]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Notice the speed and distance being covered on this 6" Slope - barely a wave .

Board and its custom fins planing together .

Put any other fin available in this board and this will not occur .

#2895544 - 01/08/19 01:31 PM Re: FIN talk [Re: flyinraptr]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

These comments are not needed :

Or have you reached the point of forgetting that sometimes its just about going out and having some fun?