REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Board longevity/durability [Re: manbearpig] #2893572
01/03/19 08:45 PM
01/03/19 08:45 PM
Lennox Head.
F
freeride76 Offline
Nep status
freeride76  Offline
Nep status
F

Lennox Head.
I think pu/pe manufacturers were forced to up their game and improve durability due to asian surfboards, first Surftech, then FW who used improved durability as a selling point.

Ironically, pu/pe's got stronger, FW's got weaker and Surftechs went extinct.

All the sailors with their seasick mamas hear the sirens on the shore.
Re: Board longevity/durability [Re: manbearpig] #2893577
01/03/19 08:49 PM
01/03/19 08:49 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

West of the Atlantic. East of...
Designs have changed a bit too so you're not seeing as many broken PU/PE boards as you did 20 years ago.
Thicker wider shorter = less breakage.

“I always thank God I didn't go to film school because I would have learned that I couldn't be doing what I've been doing already.” - Bruce Brown,
Re: Board longevity/durability [Re: mundus] #2893584
01/03/19 09:13 PM
01/03/19 09:13 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline OP
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline OP
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Originally Posted By: mundus
Never ridden an epoxy, so don't know. Do the manufacturers really want increased durability, doesn't that mean less units sold?

Some do genuinely want more durable boards, despite the fact it theoretically means less units sold.

Re: Board longevity/durability [Re: GromsDad] #2893589
01/03/19 09:31 PM
01/03/19 09:31 PM
M
mundus Offline
Miki Dora status
mundus  Offline
Miki Dora status
M

Originally Posted By: GromsDad
Designs have changed a bit too so you're not seeing as many broken PU/PE boards as you did 20 years ago.
Thicker wider shorter = less breakage.
Actually a good point.

Re: Board longevity/durability [Re: freeride76] #2893597
01/03/19 09:56 PM
01/03/19 09:56 PM
CA
S
stu dog Offline
Duke status
stu dog  Offline
Duke status
S

CA
Originally Posted By: freeride76
I think pu/pe manufacturers were forced to up their game and improve durability due to asian surfboards, first Surftech, then FW who used improved durability as a selling point.

Ironically, pu/pe's got stronger, FW's got weaker and Surftechs went extinct.

CI still puts out shitty glassed PU boards that wear out in 6 months shrug

Re: Board longevity/durability [Re: manbearpig] #2893606
01/03/19 10:06 PM
01/03/19 10:06 PM
M
mundus Offline
Miki Dora status
mundus  Offline
Miki Dora status
M

Worst glass job ever was on a CI, if you looked at the thing wrong it dinged

Re: Board longevity/durability [Re: manbearpig] #2893614
01/03/19 10:17 PM
01/03/19 10:17 PM
R
retodd Offline
Duke status
retodd  Offline
Duke status
R

Bet those issues were from a bad batch of blanks

Re: Board longevity/durability [Re: manbearpig] #2893677
01/04/19 01:29 AM
01/04/19 01:29 AM
G
goingright Offline
Gerry Lopez status
goingright  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

I felt like I wasted 2-3 years riding all these stupid tech. PU/PE is the gold standard.
It was nice trying out those different techs but once I went back to PU/PE, it was like reuniting with an old friend.

Re: Board longevity/durability [Re: mundus] #2893678
01/04/19 01:34 AM
01/04/19 01:34 AM
G
goingright Offline
Gerry Lopez status
goingright  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

Never ridden an epoxy, so don't know. Do the manufacturers really want increased durability, doesn't that mean less units sold?

For the most part, it's a marketing gimmick to move more boards. I will take anyday a board that breaks in 3 months than a board that lasts 2 years and shitty to ride.

I think my 2 cents also, PU/PE works as a dampener on a good wave. When energy of the wave is coming and you are paddling, pu/pe tends to Absorbs the energy of the wave and rides smooth. The energy of wave is nicely/efficiently transitioned into the surfer. Epoxy tends to do the opposite and bounce off water/energy especially when waves have juice. One epoxy board I had, as I was paddling and wanted to take off late backside, the tail kept fukkkin flexing back and forth like crazy as I come into contact with energy of the wave. Fukkkin weird. Not sure that makes sense. Just my experience but Im sure experienced surfers can make anything work and look good

Re: Board longevity/durability [Re: goingright] #2893684
01/04/19 02:05 AM
01/04/19 02:05 AM
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
R
Retropete Offline
Miki Dora status
Retropete  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Originally Posted By: goingright

For the most part, it's a marketing gimmick to move more boards. I will take anyday a board that breaks in 3 months than a board that lasts 2 years and shitty to ride.

I think my 2 cents also, PU/PE works as a dampener on a good wave. When energy of the wave is coming and you are paddling, pu/pe tends to Absorbs the energy of the wave and rides smooth. The energy of wave is nicely/efficiently transitioned into the surfer. Epoxy tends to do the opposite and bounce off water/energy especially when waves have juice. One epoxy board I had, as I was paddling and wanted to take off late backside, the tail kept fukkkin flexing back and forth like crazy as I come into contact with energy of the wave. Fukkkin weird. Not sure that makes sense. Just my experience but Im sure experienced surfers can make anything work and look good

Essentialy a useless post.
Epoxy...ok that is resin. There's a vast number of different eps foams, laminations, skins, resins in use now that a blanket statement about epoxy boards serves no purpose. Need to be specific.

Caution: excessive Kool Aid consumption may lead to a bitter aftertaste!
Re: Board longevity/durability [Re: Retropete] #2893688
01/04/19 02:13 AM
01/04/19 02:13 AM
CA
S
stu dog Offline
Duke status
stu dog  Offline
Duke status
S

CA
Originally Posted By: Retropete

Epoxy...ok that is resin. There's a vast number of different eps foams, laminations, skins, resins in use now that a blanket statement about epoxy boards serves no purpose. Need to be specific.

I'm pretty sure he means EPS foam instead of Epoxy

Re: Board longevity/durability [Re: manbearpig] #2893689
01/04/19 02:17 AM
01/04/19 02:17 AM
G
goingright Offline
Gerry Lopez status
goingright  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

Quentin Tarantino puts it best. We can push technology as much as we want but there are some things that cant be replicated.

Re: Board longevity/durability [Re: stu dog] #2893692
01/04/19 02:26 AM
01/04/19 02:26 AM
M
mundus Offline
Miki Dora status
mundus  Offline
Miki Dora status
M

Originally Posted By: stu dog
Originally Posted By: Retropete

I'm pretty sure he means EPS foam instead of Epoxy
Yes, my mistake,

Re: Board longevity/durability [Re: goingright] #2893700
01/04/19 03:26 AM
01/04/19 03:26 AM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline OP
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline OP
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Quentin Tarantino puts it best. We can push technology as much as we want but there are some things that cant be replicated.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BON9Ksn1PqI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I call BS in regards to build material having nowhere else to go. Lots of proof to the contrary.

Re: Board longevity/durability [Re: manbearpig] #2893708
01/04/19 03:44 AM
01/04/19 03:44 AM
G
goingright Offline
Gerry Lopez status
goingright  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

Originally Posted By: manbearpig

I call BS in regards to build material having nowhere else to go. Lots of proof to the contrary.

Totally agree;)

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7