REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2893499 - 01/03/19 12:55 PM New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON
deforest Offline
Nep status

Loc: California
Just sharing some information!! New podcast is out. computer

Pretty rad how Tomo is focusing on surfboard nose refinement. It's kind of abstract idea. I dont know of any other shaper who has committed to refining such a specific part of a surfboard, like a nose? Cant wait to see the new designs.

He also talks about bringing back the old dual fin raptor boards with new upgrades and more "user friendly" designs, which sounds epic.

Definitely a good listen!

Also,, I think Bassy is doing a great job with his interviews so i decided to donate to the podcast this time. $5.00 is pre-set on the donate page (in case anyone is interested). I wanted to donate more but I couldn't change the amount. I think his podcasts are worth a $5.00 drop in the bucket!

Here is the link to have a listen.
https://boardroomshow.com/tomo/

#2893551 - 01/03/19 02:53 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest]
ciscojaws Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Beast Coast
There's a podcast thread for this already.

#2893609 - 01/03/19 05:11 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida
Well Deforest , in response to this

Pretty rad how Tomo is focusing on surfboard nose refinement. It's kind of abstract idea. I dont know of any other shaper who has committed to refining such a specific part of a surfboard, like a nose?

Whats more effective in board performance , Nose design or Fin Design ?

I really like what Daniel is doing , lets get that correct . wave2

But I can make others boards work better with fin design . And have for a Very long time .

Nose design can't upgrade anyone else's board .

Several of us in the early 80's designed our nose with their rockers for certain effects .

No podcast back then - thats why this is all new to you bricks

#2893617 - 01/03/19 05:28 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
I enjoyed the conversation, except when they would talk over one another.

But there was a big missed opportunity on Scotts part here when you compare this episode to the general theme of past episodes - US board builders vs. imported boards.

I wish Scott would have asked Tomo what he thought about Dennis Jarvis' campaign to put a tariff on imported boards or what Dan thought about the protectionist attitude of Built in the US or Australia and if that was ever a consideration when signing with Firewire. Would have been interesting to hear his perspective.

#2893618 - 01/03/19 05:28 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest]
retodd Offline
Duke status

I like Dan .

Probably his best interview to date

He touches on his past creativity and a lot of us remember it when there was a new variation every month .

#2893619 - 01/03/19 05:29 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest]
retodd Offline
Duke status

Good point JKB

#2893633 - 01/03/19 05:44 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: retodd]
silentbutdeadly Online   content
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
Haven't listened yet. Still scratching my through the splendor podcast with Hynd.

Dang, you should have posted this in my thread:

https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2892114#Post2892114

I wish tomo made more pointy nose shortboards. I just still can't get over the chopped nose.

#2893647 - 01/03/19 06:21 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: silentbutdeadly]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly
Haven't listened yet. Still scratching my through the splendor podcast with Hynd.

https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2892114#Post2892114

I wish tomo made more pointy nose shortboards. I just still can't get over the chopped nose.

Dude. SKX is an epic pointy nosed shortboard.

#2893649 - 01/03/19 06:27 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: jkb]
silentbutdeadly Online   content
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
Originally Posted By: jkb

#2893661 - 01/03/19 07:12 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: in the bathroom
I wish he still made his twins. Thats still the most interesting designs hes made in my opinion

#2893679 - 01/03/19 08:41 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest]
Wcurtain Offline
Grom

Tried looking at their website but didn't find the available info. Does anyone know when the boardroom show will be in Japan?

#2893681 - 01/03/19 08:43 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest]
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Malibu, CA
Originally Posted By: deforest
Just sharing some information!! New podcast is out. computer

Pretty rad how Tomo is focusing on surfboard nose refinement. It's kind of abstract idea. I dont know of any other shaper who has committed to refining such a specific part of a surfboard, like a nose? Cant wait to see the new designs.

He also talks about bringing back the old dual fin raptor boards with new upgrades and more "user friendly" designs, which sounds epic.

Definitely a good listen!

Also,, I think Bassy is doing a great job with his interviews so i decided to donate to the podcast this time. $5.00 is pre-set on the donate page (in case anyone is interested). I wanted to donate more but I couldn't change the amount. I think his podcasts are worth a $5.00 drop in the bucket!

Here is the link to have a listen.
https://boardroomshow.com/tomo/

You should check and make sure thats not a five dollar a month recurring donation. They like the recurring donation aspect.

#2893691 - 01/03/19 09:25 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: Greg Griffin]
deforest Offline
Nep status

Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
Well Deforest , in response to this

Pretty rad how Tomo is focusing on surfboard nose refinement. It's kind of abstract idea. I dont know of any other shaper who has committed to refining such a specific part of a surfboard, like a nose?

Whats more effective in board performance , Nose design or Fin Design ?

I really like what Daniel is doing , lets get that correct . wave2

But I can make others boards work better with fin design . And have for a Very long time .

Nose design can't upgrade anyone else's board .

Several of us in the early 80's designed our nose with their rockers for certain effects .

I partially agree with what you're saying. But when a nose is pointy and catches or penetrates the water and causes the rider to fall, cutting off the nose or rounding off the nose will "techincally" improve the design. Maybe not as much of an impact as fins, but it does give the board an improvement. I remember riding the IF15 from T patterson and wishing the nose was rounded off because there were times when the nose would catch, or i would be taking off late and was fearful the nose would poke me. But I'll agree that fins effect board performance.

#2893695 - 01/03/19 09:37 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: jkb]
deforest Offline
Nep status

I enjoyed the conversation, except when they would talk over one another.

But there was a big missed opportunity on Scotts part here when you compare this episode to the general theme of past episodes - US board builders vs. imported boards.

I wish Scott would have asked Tomo what he thought about Dennis Jarvis' campaign to put a tariff on imported boards or what Dan thought about the protectionist attitude of Built in the US or Australia and if that was ever a consideration when signing with Firewire. Would have been interesting to hear his perspective.
I felt the same way. I actually was listening and almost anticipating Bassy asking the question... but it never happened. I even messaged Scott and told him that I was surprised he didnt ask Tomo about that. Scott said "maybe I should have; but sorta feel like that topic has been excavated thoroughly." I felt the same and I felt like the overall theme of the interview was about Tomos success and focused on positive things, so asking Tomo about imports and tariffs probably wouldnt have contributed anything positive to the interview. I think that topic generates a lot of negative energy and draws a line in surfing that really isnt productive to anyone in the big scheme of things. Its a difficult situation and tarriffs dont seem to be the proper avenue for positive or even effective change. But i agree it would have been interesting to hear his perspective. Maybe a part 2 with Bassy???

You should try the Hydroshort Squash! facelick Its very similar to an SKX but has a rounded nose.

Edited by deforest (01/03/19 09:42 PM)

#2893740 - 01/04/19 02:19 AM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: Greg Griffin]
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Malibu, CA
Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin

Greg, I already wrote David Lee Scales on instagram and sent him your instagram handle. Provided greggriffinsurfboards is you smile But I would really like to hear you on his podcast. Lee Scales often says he doesn't understand fins and is overwhelmed by fins. His podcast with Pat Rawson just touched on them a bit and Rawson saying they made 7 fin boards even. You gotta get on there and explain to people how much fins effect a board. Give some basics on what makes a fin work and why. All Rawson did was reference fin manufacturers weight charts, heavier guy needs bigger fin.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >