REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2893748 - 01/04/19 04:49 AM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest]
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: 1134
Retodd needs to do a primer on fins. Same coast as David.

And retodds hand shaped pointy nose Tomo was the best one that Ive ridden. No pearling trying to pump dtl.

#2893763 - 01/04/19 08:47 AM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: ghostshaper]
silentbutdeadly Online   content
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
Is this pearling thing a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist?

I will say that I like and understand his newer noses better. They're not so extreme.

#2893765 - 01/04/19 08:54 AM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: silentbutdeadly]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida
Daniel has had a huge effect on several markets , surfboards , SUP and Kiteboard .

Kite boards started with Wake boards , Daniels trademark look , then went to shortboard designs then rediscovered the wakeboard look again thru Daniels success = fun to watch .

Hopefully this doesn't get spun around as some negative comment .

#2893800 - 01/04/19 10:36 AM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest]
Duffy Online   content
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your moms house
Quote:
But when a nose is pointy and catches or penetrates the water and causes the rider to fall, cutting off the nose or rounding off the nose will "techincally" improve the design.

Wat?

BTW, I once broke the nose off of a board (Channel Islands boards had a habit of that) and just kept surfing it. There were no down sides to it and the up side was more snappy turns due to less swing weight. Thats when I realized that, in some cases much of the nose volume is superfluous in regards to paddling and catching waves.

Thats when I bought a Pod and since then have ridden pointy nosed boards only in large to very large surf.

- The Wasp

#2893808 - 01/04/19 10:44 AM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: ghostshaper]
Duffy Online   content
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: ghostshaper

And retodds hand shaped pointy nose Tomo was the best one that Ive ridden. No pearling trying to pump dtl.

My opinion only here but I think a boards tendency to pearl has more to do (other than rider error) whats under the chest rather that the shape of the nose.

Ya know, volume, width, rocker, concave....

Also tail rocker/width may play a role, particularly in steep waves.

Edited by Duffy (01/04/19 10:44 AM)

- The Wasp

#2893856 - 01/04/19 12:03 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
Originally Posted By: deforest
Originally Posted By: jkb
I enjoyed the conversation, except when they would talk over one another.

But there was a big missed opportunity on Scotts part here when you compare this episode to the general theme of past episodes - US board builders vs. imported boards.

I wish Scott would have asked Tomo what he thought about Dennis Jarvis' campaign to put a tariff on imported boards or what Dan thought about the protectionist attitude of Built in the US or Australia and if that was ever a consideration when signing with Firewire. Would have been interesting to hear his perspective.
I felt the same way. I actually was listening and almost anticipating Bassy asking the question... but it never happened. I even messaged Scott and told him that I was surprised he didnt ask Tomo about that. Scott said "maybe I should have; but sorta feel like that topic has been excavated thoroughly." I felt the same and I felt like the overall theme of the interview was about Tomos success and focused on positive things, so asking Tomo about imports and tariffs probably wouldnt have contributed anything positive to the interview. I think that topic generates a lot of negative energy and draws a line in surfing that really isnt productive to anyone in the big scheme of things. Its a difficult situation and tarriffs dont seem to be the proper avenue for positive or even effective change. But i agree it would have been interesting to hear his perspective. Maybe a part 2 with Bassy???

Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly
Haven't listened yet. Still scratching my through the splendor podcast with Hynd.

Dang, you should have posted this in my thread:

https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2892114#Post2892114

I wish tomo made more pointy nose shortboards. I just still can't get over the chopped nose.

Dude. SKX is an epic pointy nosed shortboard.
You should try the Hydroshort Squash! facelick Its very similar to an SKX but has a rounded nose.

I know!

I saw someone say the two were quite similar over on the Japanese XTR website you posted elsewhere.

That Japanese site is way better than their US site. Way more detailed info.

#2893860 - 01/04/19 12:08 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: manbearpig]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: manbearpig
I wish he still made his twins. Thats still the most interesting designs hes made in my opinion

El Tomo

(Another pointy nose SBD pokestick)

#2893902 - 01/04/19 12:50 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: Wcurtain]
deforest Offline
Nep status

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Wcurtain
Tried looking at their website but didn't find the available info. Does anyone know when the boardroom show will be in Japan?
May 17 & 18

#2893911 - 01/04/19 01:07 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest]
deforest Offline
Nep status

Yeah... Japanese site has a lot of info! When its translated, it almost sounds like some of the information is coming from Daniel??

You have had some of the best luck with boards JKB! That green El Tomo went super good! So did your Hydronaut squash tail and your Evo! I dont know if you get the magic dims or what... but all yours boards have been really good!

Did you hear on the podcast that Tomo is going to be doing hand-finished customs in AUS? I think he said on the podcast that he was going to be starting up a website with a list of current shapes he's going to be doing. Pretty curious to see what he's gonna be offering!

#2893941 - 01/04/19 01:38 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: Duffy]
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: 1134
Originally Posted By: Duffy

My opinion only here but I think a boards tendency to pearl has more to do (other than rider error) whats under the chest rather that the shape of the nose.

My problem w chopped noses is pearling while pumping dtl, not dropping in... Although I took out a Tomo cyber sim in shoulder high steep beachbreaks, and watched water shoot over the squared nose while dropping in. A regular nose wouldve knifed into the face.

#2893957 - 01/04/19 02:01 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Did you hear on the podcast that Tomo is going to be doing hand-finished customs in AUS? I think he said on the podcast that he was going to be starting up a website with a list of current shapes he's going to be doing. Pretty curious to see what he's gonna be offering!

Yeah, I remember him mentioning this in the Tomo thread a while ago. Definitely curious to see what he comes up with, but I was disappointed to hear it's going to be model based only.

I asked him if he'd consider doing a mash-up board with the outline of the hydrosquash and the rocker of the GMM2. He said no bawling

#2894037 - 01/04/19 04:01 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: jkb]
deforest Offline
Nep status

Yeah, I remember him mentioning this in the Tomo thread a while ago. Definitely curious to see what he comes up with, but I was disappointed to hear it's going to be model based only.

I asked him if he'd consider doing a mash-up board with the outline of the hydrosquash and the rocker of the GMM2. He said no bawling
I know... i wish I could order a mash-up as well. My favorite designs thus far have been the Vader, Cymatic, and Hydronaut. So I want to mix those together and see how it goes. A Hydronaut nose, Vader tail/outline, and Cymatic bottom (rocker and hull design). I think that would be an epic board! If I try and shape one it will be like that.

#2894044 - 01/04/19 04:14 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: Duffy]
deforest Offline
Nep status

Quote:
cutting off the nose or rounding off the nose will "techincally" improve the design.

There were no down sides to it and the up side was more snappy turns due to less swing weight.
Would you say that not having a pointy nose improved the boards performance?

#2894084 - 01/04/19 05:24 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: ghostshaper]
Duffy Online   content
Miki Dora status

My problem w chopped noses is pearling while pumping dtl, not dropping in... Although I took out a Tomo cyber sim in shoulder high steep beachbreaks, and watched water shoot over the squared nose while dropping in. A regular nose wouldve knifed into the face.

Well Im not riding chopped noses. Mine are round.

- The Wasp

#2894108 - 01/04/19 05:50 PM Re: New Boardroom Podcast - DANIEL "TOMO" THOMSON [Re: deforest]
Duffy Online   content
Miki Dora status

Quote:
cutting off the nose or rounding off the nose will "techincally" improve the design.

There were no down sides to it and the up side was more snappy turns due to less swing weight.
Would you say that not having a pointy nose improved the boards performance?

I think it depends.

I personally prefer pointy noses when Im in bigger hollow surf. I have a round nose board (58) that I love but I also have the same board but with a pointy nose (64) and find that that one works better when its big and juicy.

And Im talking the wave riding aspect, not the catching waves part.

But I feel like (and people have told me) that I surf better in smaller (less than DOH) surf on my round noses.

- The Wasp

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >