REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2892256 - 12/30/18 07:53 AM The Ranch to get public access?
Bonzer5Fin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Moon

"all your sisters belong to me." -- subway

#2892259 - 12/30/18 09:58 AM Re: The Ranch to get public access? [Re: Bonzer5Fin]
Duffy Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your moms house
Quote:
Others drove seven hours from Riverside to a commission meeting in Santa Cruz to plea the case for access.

Yay!

- The Wasp

#2892263 - 12/30/18 10:24 AM Re: The Ranch to get public access? [Re: Bonzer5Fin]
mundus Offline
Michael Peterson status

This is a tough one, the landowners seem like a bunch of dickheads. However they are right that if opened to public the place will be ruined.

#2892266 - 12/30/18 10:33 AM Re: The Ranch to get public access? [Re: mundus]
Bohter Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Public access would be a disaster.

Take the survey and voice your opinion here >
http://www.gaviotacoastconservancy.org/

Will The Nature Conservancy (old Bixby) allow similar access?

Access is already there....for those strong enough to paddle in....as the article says. roflmao

#2892267 - 12/30/18 10:44 AM Re: The Ranch to get public access? [Re: Bohter]
Duffy Offline
Miki Dora status

Quote:
Access is already there....for those strong enough to paddle in....as the article says.

Or walk. Or take a boat.

- The Wasp

#2892268 - 12/30/18 10:48 AM Re: The Ranch to get public access? [Re: mundus]
Duffy Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: mundus
This is a tough one, the landowners seem like a bunch of dickheads. However they are right that if opened to public the place will be ruined.

Article says they want picnic tables and bathrooms.

Absolutely it will be ruined.

And I guarantee you that those going to meetings clamoring for access will never set foot there.

This is all based purely on envy.

You have to drive by the entire (publicly open) gaviota coast just to get to the gate there. Why does this unspoiled 8 mile piece of beach have to be ruined?

Envy.

- The Wasp

#2892273 - 12/30/18 11:17 AM Re: The Ranch to get public access? [Re: Bonzer5Fin]
grapedrink Online   happy
Phil Edwards status

Loc: A Beach
The situation with Privates in Capitola, while far smaller in scale, is even more rediculous in principal. The beach is not even private, anyone can buy a key ($75/year, I think?). Even if you dont want to pay, there are literally miles of public beaches access points in both directions, including some directly adjacent to Privates, with cheap if not free parking.

But no, people cant be bothered going to another beach literally a stones throw away. Every beach needs free access, parking, bathrooms, everything!!! toilet

#2892285 - 12/30/18 11:38 AM Re: The Ranch to get public access? [Re: Bonzer5Fin]
CJSB Offline
Nep status

Loc: Santa Barbara
LA Times is so out of touch.

Next, outrage no public access to the Islands.

#2892300 - 12/30/18 12:51 PM Re: The Ranch to get public access? [Re: grapedrink]
sizzld1 Online   content
Miki Dora status

Loc: Here
Originally Posted By: grapedrink
The situation with Privates in Capitola, while far smaller in scale, is even more rediculous in principal. The beach is not even private, anyone can buy a key ($75/year, I think?). Even if you dont want to pay, there are literally miles of public beaches access points in both directions, including some directly adjacent to Privates, with cheap if not free parking.

But no, people cant be bothered going to another beach literally a stones throw away. Every beach needs free access, parking, bathrooms, everything!!! toilet

My folks were telling me surf schools have already moved into Privates bringing vans full of kooks, blocking driveways, and being loud and obnoxious as most surf schools are. Can't wait till they head down on a nice summer day and find out the other reason the place got its name. Dark times.

#2892302 - 12/30/18 12:55 PM Re: The Ranch to get public access? [Re: Bonzer5Fin]
shiver_me_timbers Online   content
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Gig Harbor
You guys are pissing against the tide. The good 'ol days are just that. Wanting privacy in Crowdifornia is a fleeting dream.

Surfing ruined surfing. Long live surfing!

#2892306 - 12/30/18 01:05 PM Re: The Ranch to get public access? [Re: sizzld1]
grapedrink Online   happy
Phil Edwards status

Loc: A Beach
Originally Posted By: sizzld1

My folks were telling me surf schools have already moved into Privates bringing vans full of kooks, blocking driveways, and being loud and obnoxious as most surf schools are. Can't wait till they head down on a nice summer day and find out the other reason the place got its name. Dark times.

Yeah fook that. NPR out of SF did a whole segment on beach access where they talked about the ranch, privates, Martins beach, etc. One of the panelists was saying, what about someone from San Jose who visits for the day and doesnt have a key or the money to buy one? roflmao rolleyes

#2892337 - 12/30/18 02:52 PM Re: The Ranch to get public access? [Re: grapedrink]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA

Hell, you can walk from 1st Point to the Capitola Wharf at low tide

#2892342 - 12/30/18 03:22 PM Re: The Ranch to get public access? [Re: ifallalot]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida
I was given my key to Privates in 1965 , none were for sale when I was there .

Jon Mel oversaw the selling of these during the 80's on

Richard Novak - NHS - paid big bucks for 2 properties a few years ago to combine them to make his new house just north of Privates .

Bet he's stoked the streets will be packed all the way to the Hook .

My friend Betty Young sold her house above Sharks Cove just recently - one of the original 2 houses on Opal Cliffs Drive .

#2892349 - 12/30/18 04:01 PM Re: The Ranch to get public access? [Re: Greg Griffin]
beerbelly Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin

Richard Novak - NHS - paid big bucks for 2 properties a few years ago to combine them to make his new house just north of Privates .

My friend Betty Young sold her house above Sharks Cove just recently - one of the original 2 houses on Opal Cliffs Drive .

Novak is one of the saltiest and opinionated humans alive. Expect him to wage war.

#2892351 - 12/30/18 04:05 PM Re: The Ranch to get public access? [Re: beerbelly]
sizzld1 Online   content
Miki Dora status

Loc: Here
Originally Posted By: beerbelly
Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin

Novak is one of the saltiest and opinionated humans alive. Expect him to wage war.

He's got a gate in front of his place now so it probably won't bug him much once he's behind it, but the front of his place is ground zero for surf school and all other manners of kookdom these days.

Edited by sizzld1 (12/30/18 04:05 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32