REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: ***Official Surf Podcast Thread*** [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2897839
01/14/19 04:00 PM
01/14/19 04:00 PM
G
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status
ghostshaper  Offline
Miki Dora status
G

almost finished w/ the MC podcast on the way into work today.

Can somebody tell me where I need to fast forward to past all the Jesus talk? I wanna hear about what MC thinks about Burch. Why do these surfboard podcasts keep going back to Christianity? foreheadslap

Organized competition is entirely peripheral to surfing qua surfing. People surf for love. - William Finnegan
Re: ***Official Surf Podcast Thread*** [Re: ghostshaper] #2897848
01/14/19 04:21 PM
01/14/19 04:21 PM
Tower 13
S
silentbutdeadly Online content OP
Duke status
silentbutdeadly  Online Content OP
Duke status
S

Tower 13
Just keep listening. It's annoying but worth it.

"The size / dimensions don't matter. What does matter is that it's flammable. Because you should set it on fire and get a real surfboard" Witchipoo
Re: ***Official Surf Podcast Thread*** [Re: ghostshaper] #2897904
01/14/19 05:39 PM
01/14/19 05:39 PM
Innzid
M
Maz Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Maz  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
M

Innzid
Originally Posted By: ghostshaper

Can somebody tell me where I need to fast forward to past all the Jesus talk? I wanna hear about what MC thinks about Burch. Why do these surfboard podcasts keep going back to Christianity? foreheadslap

You should listen through that bit. Worth it, as it's part of the big picture.

And MC isn't being all hallelujah on us, but is talking about finding something to anchor him in the middle of a life shitstorm. And, thankfully, not trying to convert the rest of us.

Re: ***Official Surf Podcast Thread*** [Re: Maz] #2898203
01/14/19 11:05 PM
01/14/19 11:05 PM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Offline
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
Kyle Theirmann podcast with Kai Lenny and Jeff Clark wasn't a bad way to kill an hour while driving for work today.

"You're not barreled unless you can see the wave on the beach side of you."

Re: ***Official Surf Podcast Thread*** [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2898257
01/15/19 12:43 AM
01/15/19 12:43 AM
G
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status
ghostshaper  Offline
Miki Dora status
G

Finished it on the way home today. Here's my take:
I love listening to MC mainly b/c he's good at conveying his passion for his design, and he's good at talking it up. I had to have one of his deep concave boards after he resurrected his label from the BASE debacle. My good friend wanted one, too, and now, MCs are all he rides.

I'm not surprised that he turned to Jesus, given his past. I feel like religion recruits people that need hope in their lives. I'm a science person, and there's no place for the supernatural or invisible people in my life (but that's me).

It was super interesting hearing the last segment on Burch and Machado. MC took David's standard questions and ran w/ it. It was interesting to hear how much MC respects them. I also noticed how he refers to Machado as a designer, as opposed to a shaper. I think Machado falls into the category of amazing surfer that could make anything work.

Organized competition is entirely peripheral to surfing qua surfing. People surf for love. - William Finnegan
Re: ***Official Surf Podcast Thread*** [Re: ghostshaper] #2900841
01/19/19 03:05 PM
01/19/19 03:05 PM
Tower 13
S
Duke status
Duke status
S

Tower 13
Latest episode of Spit is somewhat interesting. Talks about a drunk altercation with Hayden and AJW about overseas production.

Then David asks Bassy what his true take is on the overseas boards. He explains pretty well why a lot of people support their local shaper.

"The size / dimensions don't matter. What does matter is that it's flammable. Because you should set it on fire and get a real surfboard" Witchipoo
Re: ***Official Surf Podcast Thread*** [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2900892
01/19/19 05:07 PM
01/19/19 05:07 PM
G
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status
ghostshaper  Offline
Miki Dora status
G

Thanks, I'll listen to it next. I just finished Derek hynd's. I thought the most interesting part was at the end when he talks about the drug influence in the industry. Wish David asked him about the pro who tested positive for PEDs.

Currently on the Tomo podcast. I think Tomo made a good choice in signing w fw. He has a sweet life bc of it. I was laughing to myself when bassy asked if he's recognized in the parking lots now, and immediately thought of our new resident fw fanboi.

Re: ***Official Surf Podcast Thread*** [Re: ghostshaper] #2900908
01/19/19 05:20 PM
01/19/19 05:20 PM
Tower 13
S
Duke status
Duke status
S

Tower 13
Lol yeah I thought that was funny too. Imagine how many people paddle up to and around you. I'd be annoyed but It comes with the territory I guess.

I'm not a fan of FW but I absolutely cannot blame tomo for going that route. He seems to have the greatest shaping gig in the industry IMO.

Re: ***Official Surf Podcast Thread*** [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2903993
01/25/19 11:18 PM
01/25/19 11:18 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Just finished the Derek Hynd interview.

That guy needs to smoke a joint.

I can't even imagine how far beyond the looking glass he would go.

smokin

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: ***Official Surf Podcast Thread*** [Re: ghostshaper] #2904080
01/26/19 01:28 AM
01/26/19 01:28 AM
G
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Goodfish  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

Originally Posted By: ghostshaper

Haha! I was just gonna post something along those lines. The last few ones Scott Bass has done have been full of that fairytale: Damien Hobgood, Ryan Sakal...I usually just stop listening. Gets tiring. The Surf Splendor one with Switchfoot was going the same way, so I stopped that one too. NO ONE CARES! WE JUST WANNA LISTEN TO SURF STUFF AND STORIES OF PEOPLE GETTING DRUNK N WILD AND RAGING!

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.
Re: ***Official Surf Podcast Thread*** [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2904132
01/26/19 05:36 AM
01/26/19 05:36 AM
SJC
G
grendel95 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
grendel95  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

SJC
Listened to the Chris Mauro one today, very different conversation as Bassy knows Mauro well.

Cool insider stories from the surf mag glory days, the dot.com bubble and surprisingly the WSL media machine.

Vivat Grendel!
Instagram: @mighty_surf hat
Re: ***Official Surf Podcast Thread*** [Re: grendel95] #2904942
01/28/19 07:26 PM
01/28/19 07:26 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Originally Posted By: grendel95
Listened to the Chris Mauro one today, very different conversation as Bassy knows Mauro well.

Cool insider stories from the surf mag glory days, the dot.com bubble and surprisingly the WSL media machine.

That was a really good interview......except when Bassy steps all over Chris as he's trying to finish a thought.

Hey Bassy. Let your guests finish a sentence. pokestick

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: ***Official Surf Podcast Thread*** [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2904972
01/28/19 08:27 PM
01/28/19 08:27 PM
M
MrDobalina Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
MrDobalina  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

Bassy is a chauvinist, a xenophobe, a poor attempt at a sensationalist, and a chronic interrupter. There have been parts of episodes on Spit! that left me absolutely cringing. His boardroom show is a great concept and I love what it's done for the board building community, but his ignorance is hard to take sometimes. As an interviewer, he tends to tee people up with questions asked so they can provide an answer he's like, rather than asking questions so they can explore the idea or provide an opportunity to tell a story. Then he cuts them off. The episode where him and David argue over the way the show is promoted was embarrassing. Yes Scott, you started podcasting before others, we know. David is better at it.

That being said, I listen to all the stuff on Surf Splendor.

Last edited by MrDobalina; 01/28/19 09:33 PM.
Re: ***Official Surf Podcast Thread*** [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2905172
01/29/19 04:49 AM
01/29/19 04:49 AM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Grom
Waxfoot  Offline
Grom
W

[u][/u]I used to think the same thing of Bass, but now really enjoy him just took me a while to get him.

Hes very self-aware and witty, and open about his own shortcomings, which I find endearing. He's also not afraid to say the things we all think, and I appreciate that kind of candour.

Whats giving me the shits though, is the number of magic sky Jew flavoured episodes spread across the Surf Splendour network of podcasts. I realise it's a bit of a thing among surfers for some reason, but still annoys me to be subjected to it.

Last edited by Waxfoot; 01/29/19 04:52 AM.
Re: ***Official Surf Podcast Thread*** [Re: Waxfoot] #2905505
01/29/19 09:19 PM
01/29/19 09:19 PM
M
MrDobalina Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
MrDobalina  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

Originally Posted By: Waxfoot
[u][/u]I used to think the same thing of Bass, but now really enjoy him just took me a while to get him.

Hes very self-aware and witty, and open about his own shortcomings, which I find endearing. He's also not afraid to say the things we all think, and I appreciate that kind of candour.

Whats giving me the shits though, is the number of magic sky Jew flavoured episodes spread across the Surf Splendour network of podcasts. I realise it's a bit of a thing among surfers for some reason, but still annoys me to be subjected to it.

Yeah...

I think he believes he is self aware. He definitely finds opportunities to imply how self aware he is, but he clearly isn't able to be aware of some of the things he says in real time.

I think some of the things "we all think" but don't say, might be because we know that our first thought is not always our most reasoned and knowledgable response. For example, stating that he doesn't follow the women's tour because they don't surf well enough is fine. But when he gets super objectifying and rude about it, it gets to be a little much. Or when he criticizes Kanoa Igarashi because his way of celebrating his win at the US Open was not "traditionally Japanese enough", is not a matter of "saying what we all think" as much as it is a complete lack of self awareness.

Finally, I don't know what "magic sky Jew flavored" means. Christianity? ok. I don't really dig it either, but seems like a weird way of referencing it. When a guest brings up religion as part of their life story, I think it's totally valid and reasonable. When Bassy points points the guests into that direction, or others, it seems forced and unlistenable.

Again, all that being said, I enjoy the care taken to create episodes with solid production quality, the increasing breadth and variety of guests, and the sheer amount of content that Scales produces. Bassy laid a lot of groundwork for that and often brings some great insight to the SPIT show, but I'm really happy that David got his legs under him and continued growing in the platform.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5