REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
Page 28 of 47 < 1 2 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 46 47 >
View All Topics Index
#2896619 - 01/10/19 08:13 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: hal9000]
Coat Hanger Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: THE TERRORIST OF TERRAMAR
Originally Posted By: hal9000
I had eggs, tomato, and avocado for lunch today. Am I in the club?

Avocado is a strange thing for a man to eat. Sure it's a great food source but it's like eating an ice cream cone of a banana, better when home alone. Guacamole...... fine. Something that comes with avocado in it...sure. But stand alone you're suspect. If you order avocado toast you're a full blown faggot.

#2896620 - 01/10/19 08:15 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: PPK96754]
Coat Hanger Offline

Originally Posted By: PPK96754
Loco Moko!
2 Hamburger patties, 2 scoops white rice with a side on potato / macaroni salad wif brown gravey. Sunny side egg over the entire mess .....!!

No worry, beef curry! Get Poi too!!

That's my goto after a heavy workout. No better way to get much needed protein and carbs in.

#2896621 - 01/10/19 08:16 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: LBBoozer]
Coat Hanger Offline

Originally Posted By: LBBoozer
All diets work for losing weight as long as you ingest less calories than you expend, pretty simple math. Anybody who thinks there is something "magical" about the keto diet that allows you to lose weight by ingesting more calories than you expend doesn't know much about how the human organism works.

That being said many like Keto because it's simple to understand (don't eat carbs), drops initial weight faster than most other diets (a lot of water from lack of stored glycogen) and fairly easy to adhere to if your are fairly strict and dedicated. Has the same problems that most "diets" have in that most people do not commit to the lifestyle permanently and when they lose the weight they revert back to old eating habits and gain the weight back plus more. It is not fool proof either, some people love meat and if you tell them eat as much as you want some will actually gain weight while remaining in ketosis. Furthermore, it has yet to be seen if it is the most healthy diet long term or if the high levels of fat intake and lack of fiber and micronutrients from carb sources causes health issues in the long term.

I wouldn't suggest anyone adopt the keto lifestyle permanently unless it was the only way they were going to lose the weight and stay at a health weight (healthy weight keto lifestyle probably still healthier than staying over-fat).

A diet which consists of eating the appropriate amount of calories for your goals (maintain, lose or gain weight), consisting of a variety of mostly whole foods (meats, veggies, dairy, grains, fruit, etc.) is most likely the best diet long term, but most people will not commit to living this way. It's really not that hard, you can still drink alcohol, eat junk food, etc. just keep it under about 20% of your total diet. In other words, eat like adult.

Anyone on the Keto diet not eating carbs isn't doing it right.

Also true Keto is lower in protein than I would find useful, limited to somewhere around 70-90g/day.

#2896626 - 01/10/19 08:30 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: hal9000]
GWS Offline
Duke status

Loc: done
5lbs that quickly is water weight.

Maybe. I don't really consider 5 pounds in two weeks "quick."

Used to be all I had to do was not drink alcohol or eat sugar and i could pull off five pounds in less than two weeks.

I've had to make weight a number of times and I like to feel like I know my body well enough to know when I am sucked out/dehydrated vs I've dropped fat. There's a definite difference in the way you feel if you have ever done it.

And I'm assuming by your lack of a response that your claimed "study after study" that indicated long term problems with a keto diet was a BS exaggeration on your part.

I'm still interested if you can produce. LINKS PLEASE.

#2896627 - 01/10/19 08:31 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: Random Guy]
GWS Offline
Duke status

Loc: done
Originally Posted By: Random Guy
Im pretty sure that if youre eating at a caloric deficit, theres an initial quick weight loss.
Google gycogen weight loss
But everyone is different
GWS, thanks for giving Keto a try for the good of the erbb. Glad you stopped before if killed you.
Assuming your wife is still a nurse, dont ignore what she say about getting that checked out. Of course everyone knows that the internet is the best doctor, but sometimes a human one can be good for a second opinion
cowabunga
rg

Actually I didn't quit yet. I just upped my carbs a touch. I've had two other people tell they had the same thing happen to them in the first two weeks. I'm going to push this a little further.

#2896653 - 01/10/19 09:46 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: GWS]
grapedrink Online   happy
Phil Edwards status

Loc: A Beach
Originally Posted By: GWS
5lbs that quickly is water weight.

Maybe. I don't really consider 5 pounds in two weeks "quick."

Used to be all I had to do was not drink alcohol or eat sugar and i could pull off five pounds in less than two weeks.

I've had to make weight a number of times and I like to feel like I know my body well enough to know when I am sucked out/dehydrated vs I've dropped fat. There's a definite difference in the way you feel if you have ever done it.

And I'm assuming by your lack of a response that your claimed "study after study" that indicated long term problems with a keto diet was a BS exaggeration on your part.

I'm still interested if you can produce. LINKS PLEASE.

5 pounds of total weight in 2 weeks is not quick- with "weight" including fat, muscle tissue, and water. 5 pounds of body fat would be very quick unless you are at least moderately obese. For that 5 pounds to be exclusively or even 80-90% fat would be unusual. The less fat you have, the more likely you are to lose muscle in addition to fat when losing weight, which makes the prospect of a reasonably in shape person (which I am assuming you are based on your posting history) to drop 5 pounds in 2 weeks without at least some muscle and water loss highly unlikely. You can certainly lose muscle while losing fat but look more ripped, lift stronger, and feel great because of the relief provided by the fat loss.

Also, it's very complicated to accurately assess muscle loss versus fat loss, even with expensive equipment, let alone parse out the water weight loss.

Here's a link I posted earlier, where ketogenic dieters lost muscle mass while dieting, more so than a standard diet: https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/104/2/324/4564649 Therefore if what you said is true, that would make you an exception to the norm.

Most of the research I've come across that is not pushed by internet diet gurus state that the most total weight a normal person can lose in a week with it being strictly fat and not muscle tissue is 1 pound/week, with some researchers believing that a half pound of fat is more likely (link is a podcast, but cites an actual peer reviewed study) https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/weight-loss/how-much-fat-can-you-lose-0

If I'm wrong, congrats on being a freak blush2 wink2 hat dancing

#2896947 - 01/11/19 06:29 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: grapedrink]
hal9000 Online   content
Tom Curren status

Loc: Urbana, Illinois
Losing muscle mass is, at least to me, one of the best arguments AGAINST the keto diet.

#2896974 - 01/11/19 07:14 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: hal9000]
grapedrink Online   happy
Phil Edwards status

Loc: A Beach
Losing muscle mass is, at least to me, one of the best arguments AGAINST the keto diet.

Sure, but in fairness you will probably have some muscle loss no matter what type of diet you choose, unless you take it slow shrug

#2897495 - 01/13/19 11:39 AM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: hal9000]
hal9000 Online   content
Tom Curren status

Saw an interesting article about orthorexia. Can't help but think keto is just one example of it.

#2897509 - 01/13/19 12:00 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: hal9000]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
Saw an interesting article about orthorexia. Can't help but think keto is just one example of it.

That's a bullshit, proposed "disorder" pushed by the HAES crowd.

A preoccupation with eating healthy food is a good thing, especially when confronted with the worldwide obesity epidemic

#2897536 - 01/13/19 01:20 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: grapedrink]
Coat Hanger Offline

Originally Posted By: grapedrink

Sure, but in fairness you will probably have some muscle loss no matter what type of diet you choose, unless you take it slow shrug

Diet has little to do with muscle mass. It's more of a calorie surplus/deficit thing.

You could do nothing but sit on the couch and eat Pringles and drink Dr Pepper, gain 100 lbs and still see a net gain in muscle mass.

Generally you will never add muscle tissue on a calorie restricted diet. For an obese untrained person there is a small window, but that's it.

I don't think as written the Keto diet allows enough protein for stress recovery. I also think that depending on a persons lipid panel and genetics it could be a very poor choice, again as written.

The very best diet a person could use would be one that measures macro-nutrients, contains whole proteins and saturated fats, and is base lined and minimally adjusted over time depending on measured results. When people tracking this they are usually shocked at how many calories they were actually consuming per day.

#2897549 - 01/13/19 01:50 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: ifallalot]
Random Guy Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: ifallalot

A preoccupation with eating healthy food is a good thing, especially when confronted with the worldwide obesity epidemic

No, its not bullshit
Maybe you dont know anyone like this, but I do.
I know the difference between being concerned about what you eat and obsession over controlling what youre eating and the anxiety that comes with potentially not being able to control what you eat and when you eat it
Its a whole different level
Maybe its not its own disorder, and exists in people with anxiety and ocd, and this is jus the thing that triggers it
And eating Keto or vegan or gluten free may go along with it, but just having a restricted diet isnt what theyd describing.
This is NOT a description of hating On health conscious people. Its describing a behavior that is a mental health issue and may or may not lead to physical health problems as well.
cowabunga
rg

#2897561 - 01/13/19 02:23 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: Random Guy]
hal9000 Online   content
Tom Curren status

Originally Posted By: Random Guy
Originally Posted By: ifallalot

No, its not bullshit
Maybe you dont know anyone like this, but I do.
I know the difference between being concerned about what you eat and obsession over controlling what youre eating and the anxiety that comes with potentially not being able to control what you eat and when you eat it
Its a whole different level
Maybe its not its own disorder, and exists in people with anxiety and ocd, and this is jus the thing that triggers it
And eating Keto or vegan or gluten free may go along with it, but just having a restricted diet isnt what theyd describing.
This is NOT a description of hating On health conscious people. Its describing a behavior that is a mental health issue and may or may not lead to physical health problems as well.
cowabunga
rg

This.

And social media doesn't help either.

#2897720 - 01/13/19 11:26 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: hal9000]
ringer Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: Huntington Beach, California
I don't know all of the fancy chemical analyses, but a diet which encourages eating porkfat (which I definitely eat) but discourages eating apples, oranges, tangerines, and bananas (which I also eat) seems suspect.

#2897762 - 01/14/19 06:56 AM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: ringer]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
Originally Posted By: ringer
I don't know all of the fancy chemical analyses, but a diet which encourages eating porkfat (which I definitely eat) but discourages eating apples, oranges, tangerines, and bananas (which I also eat) seems suspect.

The problem is that those fruits are filled with sugar. A banana almost has as much sugar as a can of soda

Page 28 of 47 < 1 2 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 46 47 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32