REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
Page 27 of 37 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 36 37 >
View All Topics Index
#2896226 - 01/09/19 09:54 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: hal9000]
sussle Online   sick
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: hal9000
Originally Posted By: ifallalot
Is black coffee keto? I've been on a black coffee kick lately.

Hell yeah it is. Its also the main drink of the IF crowd

I had a minor surgical procedure done two months ago and the only thing I was allowed to have in the morning was black coffee. Made me realize how great it tastes.
no sugar?

#2896261 - 01/09/19 11:38 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: hal9000]
freeride76 Offline
Nep status

Loc: Lennox Head.
Originally Posted By: freeride76
Seems like calories in/calories out is just too simplistic and not how shit works.

That's not exactly how it works because there are other factors like genetics, metabolism, activity level, etc. But in general, the number of calories consumed is a good guideline.

dem old confounding factors again.

digestibility by the human gut is only at the basic level of understanding.

but hey, go eat a few thousand calories of grass .......enough to fatten a poddy calf and see what happens.

#2896262 - 01/09/19 11:43 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: hal9000]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA

I had a minor surgical procedure done two months ago and the only thing I was allowed to have in the morning was black coffee. Made me realize how great it tastes.

When you cut out sugar from your diet so many things taste great. Vegetables are extra delicious

#2896266 - 01/10/19 12:01 AM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: ifallalot]
Duffy Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your moms house

I only drink black coffee and water. Those are the only liquids I consume.

- The Wasp

#2896299 - 01/10/19 07:10 AM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: ifallalot]
sussle Online   sick
Michael Peterson status

When you cut out sugar from your diet so many things taste great. Vegetables are extra delicious
i can cut sugar out of everything except black coffee. a strong cup of expresso requires sweetener, and no artificial sweetener will cut it. just a teaspoon.

#2896341 - 01/10/19 10:35 AM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: hal9000]
GWS Offline
Duke status

Loc: Ilklandia
Originally Posted By: GWS
Originally Posted By: aldo1
Processed carbs are easy to eat and fill you up quickly, but not for long. Excess carbs are converted to sugar and stored in the body as fat, starting with visceral fat. Generally people just eat too many.
Keto is about training your body to use consumed fat as fuel rather than storing it, meanwhile reducing your fat/energy stores(blubber).
Its a whole lot healthier than eating crap and becoming obese.
Not all calories are equal. If you eat enormous amounts of green vegetables and nothing else you will not get fat.

Once again balance is the healthiest but not all can maintain balance.

This ignores all the potentially unhealthy side effects that come with the keto diet. And study after study has shown that keto is not a sustainable long-term diet. Most people go off it and gain the weight back.

I thought the problem was a dearth of long-term studies re the keto diet?

Do you really not understand how it could be both of those things?

I didn't look very long, but I found only one longer term study re the keto diet, and that study was favorable re the diet. I linked to it earlier, but it was glossed over. Again...

I really don't know what the answers are here but...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

https://www.researchgate.net/publication...olesterol_Level

shrug

quick search and first result.

Quote:
CONCLUSIONS:
The present study shows the beneficial effects of a long-term ketogenic diet. It significantly reduced the body weight and body mass index of the patients. Furthermore, it decreased the level of triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and blood glucose, and increased the level of HDL cholesterol. Administering a ketogenic diet for a relatively longer period of time did not produce any significant side effects in the patients. Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated.

shrug

So you are claiming that "study after study" has indicated problems with the keto diet long term. I'm not saying those studies aren't there, I just didn't find them. I'm truly interested here. I'm having a hard time believing the diet is a good long term solution.

So please, of the plethora of long term studies that you have found on the keto diet and its damaging aspects, could you maybe just provide me with your top ten? With links? Thank you in advance.

I didn't think the concept of the keto diet was all that old. I'm not sure how you get a long term study done on something that has only been in existence for a relatively short period of time, but maybe science has a way. Looking forward to your links.

#2896367 - 01/10/19 11:36 AM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: GWS]
GWS Offline
Duke status

Loc: Ilklandia
Oh, and because I'm a giver, (give give give) I decided to put my body on the line for science. Since this thread started, I decided to give keto a try for a few weeks re the Atkins thing and drop a few lbs. So I lost a quick five pounds.(And no, it was NOT water weight lol) Then some weird shit started happening.

I have been under really high levels of stress re some family issues. Not my issues, but I seem to be tasked with dealing with everything/trying to fix things.

So what started happening, for the first time in my life, were what I thought were anxiety attacks. I'd be working, into my work, and all of the sudden my heart rate would just spike. Hard. Kind of like a post fight or flight type of response. Happened about three times. Then a few nights ago I picked up a sparring partner for some very, very low-key training. My heart rate spiked beyond anything that was reasonable. I had to bow out and get off the floor. It was embarrassing and scary. One of the guys I work out with came over and asked me if I had changed my diet. Light bulb.

So I googled "Keto racing heart" etc etc and I learned that this is a side effect of the initial stages of the diet for some people. Generally it supposedly goes away after a few weeks. Apparently this is not that out of the ordinary as people start eating this way. Anyway, a little spooky. I prefer the diet explanation as opposed to thinking I was suddenly getting anxiety attacks. Think maybe I'll back off of the keto (as in Atkins approach) and just move to a more rounded paleo approach.

Moderation.

#2896508 - 01/10/19 04:13 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: sussle]
hal9000 Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: Urbana, Illinois
Originally Posted By: sussle

no sugar?

No sugar. Still great.

#2896509 - 01/10/19 04:13 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: ifallalot]
hal9000 Offline
Tom Curren status

Yeah I agree with this fully.

#2896555 - 01/10/19 05:36 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: GWS]
grapedrink Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: A Beach
Quote:
So I lost a quick five pounds.(And no, it was NOT water weight lol)

How can you be absolutely certain it was not at least partially water weight confused2 The science is very straightforward as to why you drop water weight with a low carb/keto diet.

Also, 5 pounds of fat is A LOT of fat to lose in a short period of time shrug

#2896556 - 01/10/19 05:40 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: grapedrink]
the janitor Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: north of the bridge
Originally Posted By: grapedrink
Quote:
So I lost a quick five pounds.(And no, it was NOT water weight lol)

How can you be absolutely certain it was not at least partially water weight confused2 The science is very straightforward as to why you drop water weight with a low carb/keto diet.

Also, 5 pounds of fat is A LOT of fat to lose in a short period of time shrug

I'm guessing it was all in the knees

#2896576 - 01/10/19 06:31 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: hal9000]
Random Guy Offline
Duke status

Im pretty sure that if youre eating at a caloric deficit, theres an initial quick weight loss.
Google gycogen weight loss
But everyone is different
GWS, thanks for giving Keto a try for the good of the erbb. Glad you stopped before if killed you.
Assuming your wife is still a nurse, dont ignore what she say about getting that checked out. Of course everyone knows that the internet is the best doctor, but sometimes a human one can be good for a second opinion
cowabunga
rg

#2896587 - 01/10/19 07:06 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: hal9000]
hal9000 Offline
Tom Curren status

5lbs that quickly is water weight.

#2896608 - 01/10/19 07:47 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: sussle]
Duffy Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your moms house
Originally Posted By: sussle

i can cut sugar out of everything except black coffee. a strong cup of expresso requires sweetener, and no artificial sweetener will cut it. just a teaspoon.

50 calories in each teaspoon

- The Wasp

#2896611 - 01/10/19 07:51 PM Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: hal9000]
hal9000 Offline
Tom Curren status

Page 27 of 37 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 36 37 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32