REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: Duffy] #2889106
12/19/18 03:50 PM
12/19/18 03:50 PM
Norf Cackalacka
S
surfwhere Offline
Gerry Lopez status
surfwhere  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

Norf Cackalacka
Originally Posted By: Duffy
Quote:
Although some might say even with a similar outline if his rockers etc. exceeded the spirit of the actual model then his shouldn't have been called FRs.

Ive seen a couple of his Freds that had a single concave and one with single to vee.

Easy wipe would be consider them FR prototypes to call them FRs, I guess. Bummer to hear WSL go on and on about FRs when not even close to OTR. One thing to pump brand but to or be lead to falsely pump models is different. Just example. Rumors. Business.

Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: waxurDyl] #2889240
12/19/18 07:50 PM
12/19/18 07:50 PM
S. Redondo
C
ChaseTMP Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
ChaseTMP  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
C

S. Redondo
Did Kelly's Tokoros have Shapers' Spine-Tek inlayed on the deck? There looks to be a black band of similar length and width just slightly protruding width-wise of the center black band (aerospace composite stringer).

Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: ChaseTMP] #2889287
12/19/18 09:24 PM
12/19/18 09:24 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
You will notice these do not resemble Wades normal templating

And the mention of Travis Lee in his help

Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: waxurDyl] #2889355
12/19/18 11:23 PM
12/19/18 11:23 PM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
Originally Posted By: surfwhere
Originally Posted By: deforest
Quote:
I doubt any pro, that is competing on tour, rides a board that everyday non-pro surfers would ride (i.e. OTR). Those guys are on a different level and require different boards.

Ive ridden boards made for Dane Reynolds and Ive ridden boards made for Jordy. They worked fine and I would have kept them had it not been for the shit glass jobs.

Im not a pro. Not anywhere near a pro.
I think you miss-read the post. I said the opposite of what you said. Pros dont usually ride OTR boards on the CT or QS.

Yes, pros don't usually buy a board out of a shop, but you said that " those guys are on a different level and require different boards" Duffy says he has similar needs and likes pro boards but not a pro and he seems everyday. Not sure how's that opposite of what you said. Please explain.

If you look back on page 1 and 2 and read, the context of the discussion was about having lower tier pros (whatever that means) riding stock boards to sell them to the public and having the CT guys riding the customs that arent available to the public. I made a comment that Stuey, Timmy and Ezra ride stock boards. I said pros "on the CT" require different boards (customs) because of their level of skill and what they demand from a board. I doubt a CT guy would ever ride a stock board (unless you're Tom Curren).

Duffy said "he" can ride boards made for pro's (customs). Which really wasn't relative to the point I was trying to make at all. It was actually opposite to the point I was trying to make. I said CT guys dont ride OTR boards, he said he can ride a pros customs boards??? I'm sure most guys "could" ride a custom if they were similar size to the pro it was made for. My point was about CT pros needing a custom not OTR board to compete, and average surfers not "needing" a custom board. Duffy pulled one sentence out of the post and then made some sort of self-deprecating/false modesty comment about his own abilities.

Obviously from previous conversations between Duffy and I, he seems to consider himself more than an "everyday" surfer.

Instagram: @deforestcooper
Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: deforest] #2889465
12/20/18 04:12 AM
12/20/18 04:12 AM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Quote:
the CT guys riding the customs that arent available to the public.

But they are available to the public....

I could order the exact same board that it made for a CT pro. I can also buy boards that actually were customs made for a CT guy.

Quote:
Obviously from previous conversations between Duffy and I, he seems to consider himself more than an "everyday" surfer.

I dont surf every day.

Im not, nor have I ever been a pro level surfer.

Last edited by Duffy; 12/20/18 04:14 AM.

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: deforest] #2889479
12/20/18 05:11 AM
12/20/18 05:11 AM
Norf Cackalacka
S
surfwhere Offline
Gerry Lopez status
surfwhere  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

Norf Cackalacka
All kinds of lower tier pro surfers below the CTers you got your QSers, retired pros, local pros, free surfer pros, trustifarian pros, wanna be pros, pro bros and pro hos

Skill only starts the path to a board, lots more to consider.

CTers could compete with OTR boards but why would they? Custom is better.

Why do you feel average surfers don't need custom boards?

Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: waxurDyl] #2889504
12/20/18 06:25 AM
12/20/18 06:25 AM
S
shaheeb Offline
Grom
shaheeb  Offline
Grom
S

Stoked for this collaboration.

Wade is top notch / top class individual and deserves every ounce of credit

unreal boars

Last edited by shaheeb; 12/20/18 06:25 AM.
Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: Duffy] #2889534
12/20/18 12:51 PM
12/20/18 12:51 PM
Melbourne Australia
M
Mr J Offline
Nep status
Mr J  Offline
Nep status
M

Melbourne Australia
...I could order the exact same board that it made for a CT pro. I can also buy boards that actually were customs made for a CT guy.

You could order the exact same board that is made for a CT pro, but you are not going to. I.e pay the going rate for a new disposable team light glass job. Ordering does not mean getting either. I would be very surprised if you get the pro build treatment. Ok, you might be well connected, but the general public isn't.

I had a good look at one of Kanoa Igarashi's ex tour boards and the laminator and sander had gone to an extraordinary amount of effort to get a superfine edge in the tail. I expect the type of care would vary from pro and manufacturer. It's documented by Darren Handley in Mick Fanning's biography that when building for Fanning they used to weigh the shaped blank before glassing and if it was over a certain weight would get rejected at that stage. Finished build had to be 2.2 KG max. The public aren't going to get that sort attention to build.

On your second point, that's cool that you have easy access to either used CT boards, or CT boards that didn't get used. You live in CI county don't you? The two main Australian labels also unload a small selection of ex team boards to the public, I like the idea of being able to sample them, but I would have to order online and pay for shipping from Qld down to Vic.

Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: Greg Griffin] #2889536
12/20/18 01:14 PM
12/20/18 01:14 PM
Melbourne Australia
M
Mr J Offline
Nep status
Mr J  Offline
Nep status
M

Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
You will notice these do not resemble Wades normal templating

And the mention of Travis Lee in his help

So what are we looking at there? Is it a Tokoro custom shape for Shane Dorian in the Slater Designs build? What was Kelly Slater surfing at the pipe master's this year? He had an insane tube - was on the Australian TV news. I had to google Travis Lee - former marketing manager at CI. So does he work for Firewire now?

Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: Mr J] #2889540
12/20/18 01:28 PM
12/20/18 01:28 PM
Melbourne Australia
M
Mr J Offline
Nep status
Mr J  Offline
Nep status
M

Melbourne Australia
^^ On the subject Shane Dorian I have the JC-Hawaii SD-3 model from what must be at least 10 years ago - its in tufflite 1. Although SD is not what we would call a big bloke, he is a lot bigger than me. Nevertheless that board makes a great step up for me and I used it this year in fairly solid waves. It is 6' x 18.1" x 2.1", so quite narrow and thin - inches in decimal point is what is printed on it. Tail I measured at 14". Of course being tufflite its going to ride quite different to the real thing and nor do I care. As for the shape, it seems that asking for an exact same shape would be like asking for a moving target anyway. I guess it would vary from pro to pro, but some are forever getting tweaks to their signature model.

One famous Australian shaper who I can't remember said that he was always adjusting his top pros board and it was partly to prevent the pro from getting bored. I had a brief email exchange with Byrne some time ago regarding his Phil Macca pro model sold to the public and was told that he was continuously playing with rocker and fin angles on that board, but the shape was representative of what he was riding.

Re: Tokoro Firewires?!?! [Re: Mr J] #2889562
12/20/18 02:27 PM
12/20/18 02:27 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Online content
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Online Content
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Quote:
You could order the exact same board that is made for a CT pro, but you are not going to. I.e pay the going rate for a new disposable team light glass job.

Correct. Thats also why I never pay money for boards that were made for pros.

Quote:
I would be very surprised if you get the pro build treatment. Ok, you might be well connected, but the general public isn't

I know some people but I never ask for special treatment or deals.

Quote:
On your second point, that's cool that you have easy access to either used CT boards, or CT boards that didn't get used.

I wouldnt say easy access. Occasionally boards like this end up under my feet temporarily.

Quote:
You live in CI country don't you?

Yes.

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4