REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2889825 - 12/20/18 08:42 PM Re: What s the best fish twin you ever surfed ? [Re: Mat6920]
Retropete Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Originally Posted By: Mat6920
Originally Posted By: manbearpig
Originally Posted By: Colin
Originally Posted By: Colin
I didn't get on well with the McNeill Torus Twin.

I love my DVS fish.

If I lived anywhere near Corey Graham (Melbourne?).... would love to sample one of his.

What DVS do you have? Hows it sized?

I went and spoke with Dick Van about it. Have a 60. Basically just old him my weight and we talked about surfing and ideas etc. it is the more traditional outlined one with the wild bottom and deck. Not concave. Like a deep
Inverted v on both bottom and deck. Makes a double pintail as he describes it. Will try to
Post a pic.

Trying to keep it Australian for the OP.

Cool. I have a 57 rocket fish that was supposedly built for Rastovich who is similar weight to me but taller. Im a bit intimidated by the board as it feels bigger than a fish I would normally ride. Not sure if Im overthinking it, but its kind of made me hesitant to use it.

Dick Van was kind of odd when I tried inquiring about the board. Full message didnt go through and he didnt want to discuss dimensions.

DVS is a strange character, on his boards only the lengths is written. I had a fish wasp from him, ordered a 5'10, gave him my weight. A boat came back ! 5 10 21 1/2 2 3/4, probably like 42-43L when I ride 32L shortboard ! I have to say the board was seriously flying but you couldn't turn that and the board was so heavy.

I was going to say if you're anywhere near the Gold coast drop into the Boardroom at Miami and look at the stock DVS boards they have. Grabbing one off the rack that feels good to you can be better than ordering a custom from Dick as you've found out.

#2889829 - 12/20/18 09:05 PM Re: What s the best fish twin you ever surfed ? [Re: Retropete]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida

#2889832 - 12/20/18 09:43 PM Re: What s the best fish twin you ever surfed ? [Re: Mat6920]
The_El Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Never really got along with a straight up keel fish. My mabile twinzer on the other hand.... rockin

#2889834 - 12/20/18 09:58 PM Re: What s the best fish twin you ever surfed ? [Re: Mat6920]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: in the bathroom
I like my Christenson fish a lot. Not a true groveler, but it still works great in the small stuff. Small, punchier surf it's great. I would think it'd be a phenomenal board for small Maldives

#2889836 - 12/20/18 10:05 PM Re: What s the best fish twin you ever surfed ? [Re: manbearpig]
Mat6920 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

I like my Christenson fish a lot. Not a true groveler, but it still works great in the small stuff. Small, punchier surf it's great. I would think it'd be a phenomenal board for small Maldives

Mate don't get me started, I wish i could take my christenson so bad, on a long fat wall, god

#2889837 - 12/20/18 10:08 PM Re: What s the best fish twin you ever surfed ? [Re: Mat6920]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

I had my best session, so far, on that board in barreling overhead North CA beach break. But then I take it out in small lined up surf and it still flies. Such a magic stick.

#2889869 - 12/21/18 12:43 AM Re: What s the best fish twin you ever surfed ? [Re: manbearpig]
Mat6920 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

i think my best surfs were on that board

#2889878 - 12/21/18 05:15 AM Re: What s the best fish twin you ever surfed ? [Re: Mat6920]
Marcel Offline
Grom

Loc: Euroland
Bad experience with traveling with glass-ons? I regularly take my fish with glass-ons and never had an issue. Just pack accordingly, you should be fine.

Also, if you have a Christenson, that would be the only board I'd surf in the Maldives, but I'm a sucker for twinnies.

#2889882 - 12/21/18 07:17 AM Re: What s the best fish twin you ever surfed ? [Re: Marcel]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

I dont have it in me to take that board on trips due to the glass ons

#2889883 - 12/21/18 07:19 AM Re: What s the best fish twin you ever surfed ? [Re: manbearpig]
Duffy Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Your moms house
I had my best session, so far, on that board in barreling overhead North CA beach break. But then I take it out in small lined up surf and it still flies. Such a magic stick.

Maybe its just me but I never thought of twin keel fishes as boards for small, weak surf.

Mine have always worked best when its solid.

Solid, reeling point breaks.

- The Wasp

#2889926 - 12/21/18 10:41 AM Re: What s the best fish twin you ever surfed ? [Re: Greg Griffin]
SixtyGrit Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: SD
Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin

GG, are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is there a lot of cant on those fin placements?
Sick boards! How did they work out? Dims?

#2889939 - 12/21/18 11:03 AM Re: What s the best fish twin you ever surfed ? [Re: Mat6920]
SixtyGrit Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: SD
I neglected to mention earlier, I'm extra, super stoked on the RTT, since it's better suited for most waves I'm surfing these days, but my Stretch Quadfish afforded me some of my most memorable rides at Sunset Cliffs while I lived there. The way my Quad Fish was sized, it was a bit big for me, but on bigger days, that board was absolutely amazing. The rails on my Quad Fish were WAY better suited for high-speed turns and carves, whereas the RTTs rails are much more squared-off, although both are 50-50.

On my RTT, I'm always riding different fins to get totally different rides (Akila Aipa twins FTW, Christiansen keels are good, etc etc.), whereas on the Quad Fish, Lost Seaworthy split keels were consistently the best setup IMHO.

My Quad Fish is on sale right now, btw...

#2889978 - 12/21/18 12:15 PM Re: What s the best fish twin you ever surfed ? [Re: Mat6920]
EntropyFletch Offline
Nep status

Loc: San Diego
Gary McNeill Rasta Torus Twin for me.

#2890031 - 12/21/18 01:44 PM Re: What s the best fish twin you ever surfed ? [Re: Mat6920]
Agrippa Offline
Grom

I have a 5'0 Christenson that I was riding at Leo Carrillo last spring. Board is such a jam. More versatile than I thought, but a little fickle on where it wants your feet on the deck. Probably less fickle on one with more length.

Edited by Agrippa (12/21/18 01:46 PM)

#2890033 - 12/21/18 01:49 PM Re: What s the best fish twin you ever surfed ? [Re: sd_101]
laidback Offline
Kelly Slater status

Loc: NOC
Originally Posted By: sd_101

Love my TKF but its in need of some refinements.

This is where you go custom
Every board he makes is a custom

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >