REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2888616 - 12/17/18 11:48 PM Bilbao Car Rental
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: in the bathroom
Kind of a long shot. Expedia has some decent deals on some wagons, but wanted to see if anyone has experience with decent priced car rentals in the Bilbao area. Would love to get a van, or something big enough I could crash in some nights, but so far those are very pricey.

#2889053 - 12/19/18 01:55 AM Re: Bilbao Car Rental [Re: manbearpig]
the janitor Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: north of the bridge

#2889316 - 12/19/18 04:59 PM Re: Bilbao Car Rental [Re: the janitor]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Good looking out. Ill check it out.

#2891886 - 12/28/18 07:58 PM Re: Bilbao Car Rental [Re: manbearpig]
Ranch Offline
Grom

Loc: Huh
My old man is from Bermeo next to Mundaka , know the whole rental game , usually bringing boards with me , I got to say the best play is the wagons , had one super cool van by Volkswagon once , Sharon I think it was called or Maron , flew great gas mileage as well , get the insurance , had a postal truck crush my rental no insurance , cops etc witnesses full detective took a day away from the trip so I wasn't charged with damage , it's been warm all xmas over there

Enjoy the Basque Country

#2891893 - 12/28/18 08:37 PM Re: Bilbao Car Rental [Re: Ranch]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Cheers man. Went with a VW hatchback type thing, should be great on gas. Wanted a wagon, But they were pricey.

Is cheapish accommodations easy to find on the road?

#2891962 - 12/29/18 08:09 AM Re: Bilbao Car Rental [Re: manbearpig]
Ranch Offline
Grom

Yes , when do you go ? I usually surf Bakio , great town 15 from Bilbao views from west side of beach beauty cheap accommodations for sure especially this time of year , Airbnb tons of options Bermeo Bakio Mundaka depends what your looking for , pay 1/2 on booze food outside of the star cities , Mundaka gets absolutely jammed on good days , you can head east or west from there , San Sebastin gets expensive but is still amazing place it use to slow down in the winter there jammed all year now with the food hype Bourdain ( his last show there was his best on true reflection of Basque Country ), surfing there has exploded tad busy Zarauz better option for surf ,French coast is less busy but way quieter outside of the water , I visit the family every year so there's no bs here

Enjoy

#2892118 - 12/29/18 04:14 PM Re: Bilbao Car Rental [Re: Ranch]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Hell yeah thanks ranch! Solid info. Im there Jan 7-21.

Any recommendations for an area to run to when surf gets huge? First day or two so far are in 20+ft range.

Edited by manbearpig (12/29/18 04:29 PM)

#2892359 - 12/30/18 05:17 PM Re: Bilbao Car Rental [Re: manbearpig]
Ranch Offline
Grom

Huge blow outs , here's your choices , San Juan de Gaztelugatze the famous church - if your facing it just to the right of the walkway , there's a videos of Eneko Acero surfing it in winter that's what your lookin at , that's as epic place as it gets , Getxo , closer to Bilbao , Lekeitio can handle big swells , Ondaretta - the Beach , tennis club surf off the point there you'll see a crew there it's a fun left , Hendaye in France as well

And your safe wherever you go along that route , especially in winter you'll meet the real locals and a real appreciation of being in the water that time of year , it's not Cali is what I think I'm trying to say

#2892466 - 12/30/18 10:22 PM Re: Bilbao Car Rental [Re: manbearpig]
Ranch Offline
Grom

MBP : great pic of Jim Harrison by the way , my fave I did a Michigan trip because of him never regretted it , do San Juan G surf you'll feel more alive and smile than you have in a long time , was Kepa Acero video not Eneko , Both killer surfers though , there's a virgin statue in the water there the protector of the fisherman and my old man will protect you , most all tuna fisherman from Bermeo ashes are behind that church in the water , 3 circles in the boat and the urn dropped at least he got Pearl Jam before the dive your in good hands , pm me with anything else cheers

#2892501 - 12/31/18 08:32 AM Re: Bilbao Car Rental [Re: Ranch]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Thanks ranch! Awesome info, much appreciated.

Speaking of Harrison and Bourdain did you see the Montana episode of the show with Harrison? It was unreal good

#2892646 - 12/31/18 03:29 PM Re: Bilbao Car Rental [Re: manbearpig]
the janitor Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: north of the bridge
I did and agree.

If you haven't already, find a copy of "Dark Waters" by Russell Chatham, pretty sure you'll love it

#2892681 - 12/31/18 05:26 PM Re: Bilbao Car Rental [Re: manbearpig]
lovisa Offline
Grom

Can rent right outside of the Bilbao train station. Think we went through Enterprise and had this Citroen 4 door hatchback thing which would fit anything 7foot and under in it.

Enjoy the trip!

#2892685 - 12/31/18 05:52 PM Re: Bilbao Car Rental [Re: manbearpig]
Ranch Offline
Grom

American icon , was neat hearing his voice that show , right up there with Cormac McCarthy , thanks janitor will get on that book , in the Basque Country they say to know food is to know enough, it is. Have a solid Gin Tonic there at the Mundaka Hotel over looking the water or Itxas Ondo in Bakio seeing the sea , doesn't get any better , have a killer trip

#2892752 - 01/01/19 12:46 AM Re: Bilbao Car Rental [Re: Ranch]
Ranch Offline
Grom

And MBP no yellow and red gear in the Basque Country , remember we fought with the yanks , and yes we remember

#2892758 - 01/01/19 01:04 AM Re: Bilbao Car Rental [Re: manbearpig]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

No yellow and red gear in my arsenal so no risk of disrespect from me. I actually think I have equal parts excitement for the surf as I do the food when I get to Spain.

Janitor, book sounds awesome. Will have to grab a copy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32