REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2887919 - 12/16/18 06:59 AM Rear stabilisers, anyone playing around?
Clamsmasha Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Nar
Iím loving the fk out of my new (to me) gofoil setup. Iím 80+kgs

We are in the wind swell season so I havenít bothered with the Kai but have been swapping between the IWA and M200. Iíve been swapping the stabilisers out a bit because OCD.

Iím shocked how much difference there is.

The M200 with its own stab is lumbering and a bit slow, and builds up ridiculous lift with any speed/steepness at all. It is very easy to pump sans wave, but you have be brutal on the front foot all of the time.. The M200 with Kai stab actually wonít really fly unless I have a bit of speed and I have to rotate it up pretty positively. Once out it is fairly quick and manoeuvreable. Itís like day and night.

The Iwa with Kai stab is fkn awesome for me. Actually easier to pump back out than the M200. Feels like Iím snowboarding or something. Super stiff and lifty with the Maliko stab.

Iíd love a stab that sits between the two, and maybe a smaller one.

Anyone else tried swapping around?

#2887942 - 12/16/18 09:21 AM Re: Rear stabilisers, anyone playing around? [Re: Clamsmasha]
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: 1134
Sounds like time to make some customs, clammy. Are you vac bagging?

I can't wait to learn how to ride a stock foil so I can start building my own shvt. Figured I need to learn how to ride one first.

Edited by ghostshaper (12/16/18 09:28 AM)

#2888038 - 12/16/18 12:53 PM Re: Rear stabilisers, anyone playing around? [Re: Clamsmasha]
Kaser1 Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: Foiltown , Hawai'i
yea some of the guys that get to test gear here have cut the tips off the Maliko tail to find a mid size in between the 2 tails. some like it some dont.

#2888057 - 12/16/18 01:55 PM Re: Rear stabilisers, anyone playing around? [Re: Kaser1]
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Malibu, CA
Shorter fuselage will change things up too. I only have one setup though so I haven't played with anything. I've never even changed the angle of my rear stabilizer. Not sure what that would do for me, so I just leave it neutral.

#2888256 - 12/17/18 09:42 AM Re: Rear stabilisers, anyone playing around? [Re: ghostshaper]
Clamsmasha Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Hey Ghostie,

I was stoked to see youíve succumbed to the foil perversion! For one, because this is one of the most enjoyable and challenging things Iíve ever done, and also because I cannot wait to see what rolls out of your shed.

I just this minute ordered a vac/infusion setup and materials. Iím going to make foil boards but Iíve been thinking about wings and such as well. I was thinking about using a hydraulic press for some stuff too, but Iíd better walk before I run.

Where are you at with your foiling? I only get hurt half the time now....it seems to be a concentration thing haha.

#2888617 - 12/18/18 12:17 AM Re: Rear stabilisers, anyone playing around? [Re: Clamsmasha]
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: 1134
I'm getting the slingshot surf kit for xmas. Grendel and I towed behind the ski w/ his original flat foil. scary how it wanted to kick flip and make me land on it. So, I'm nowhere. I just got a couple boxes to stick into my 5'5 mini simmons, and I'm going to hack the nose off and convert it to a foil board this xmas break.

I got inspired by surffoil's diy thread, so thought I'd make something. I need to figure out how to ride one first, before I go any further.

I know, my bay is a sty, but it's the pig's fault.

#2889027 - 12/18/18 10:53 PM Re: Rear stabilisers, anyone playing around? [Re: Clamsmasha]
Clamsmasha Offline
Gerry Lopez status

The Simmons should be good.

They do try to kill you on a regular basis at the start. I copped the Maliko across the (thankfully) soft part of my shin last week. It hurt so bad I sweated all night. Was very hard to put my boots on all week.

Actually used mine for good instead of evil a couple of nights ago....a shark appeared and I got a miracle lump that I foiled the sh1t out of safety. Amazing what motivation will do for performance!

Canít wait to see your wing....I donít get the vac setup til the new year, so Iíll have to live vicariously through you.

LOL THAT PIG!! Iím jealous, he looks like a character.

#2889051 - 12/19/18 01:13 AM Re: Rear stabilisers, anyone playing around? [Re: Clamsmasha]
Kaser1 Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: Foiltown , Hawai'i
Was foiling this morning with AlexA from Go Foil, he offered to cut down my Maliko tail which I happily agreed. Also he's gonna tune the humm out of it. It sings pretty bad and I don't use it for that reason.

Hopefully it'll add some additional distance to my Iwa pump outs.

#2889368 - 12/19/18 06:40 PM Re: Rear stabilisers, anyone playing around? [Re: Kaser1]
Clamsmasha Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Originally Posted By: Kaser1
Was foiling this morning with AlexA from Go Foil, he offered to cut down my Maliko tail which I happily agreed. Also he's gonna tune the humm out of it. It sings pretty bad and I don't use it for that reason.

Hopefully it'll add some additional distance to my Iwa pump outs.

Please post pics when you get it back...