REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2896895 - 01/11/19 03:57 PM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: Greg Griffin]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
Shaping for the big Hawaiian labels in the 90's and early 00's, were you shaping the kind of designs that you wanted to make or were you shaping glass slipper style boards because that's what the label wanted you to do?

#2896905 - 01/11/19 04:16 PM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: jkb]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida
93 - 94 I worked for Glen Minami at Blue Hawaii , super thin big concave and rocker was in - Al Merrick clones . This was the only time I made these , Glen was happy .

jkb that George guy in my parents backyard was the World Champ then ;-)

#2897949 - 01/14/19 01:19 PM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: Greg Griffin]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

You must have been shaking your head when making some of those thin rockered out boards.

Thanks for answering my questions. Seeing that winged board of yours made me realize I didn't know much about how you started shaping and how it eventually developed into your own label.

Is that George Foreman?

#2898013 - 01/14/19 02:09 PM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: jkb]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Yes its George Foreman

For Japan Glen had us use white PVC stringers - I have no idea why and they were very flexible .

I made a 6'6" x 18 1/4" x 2 5/16" 5 fin demo which had 2 3/8" tail rocker and flat bottom instead of single concave and 2 3/4" rocker of that time .

The morning crew at Lanis just kept saying " It just keeps going ! " Good fun .

#2898160 - 01/14/19 04:43 PM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: Greg Griffin]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Would shapers (like Glen) ride one of your shapes before he'd hire you or was it more about having you shape something to his specs and then examining the finished product?

#2898277 - 01/14/19 08:20 PM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: jkb]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Glen needed a shaper for his new Blue Hawaii label in 1984

He tried a few then Gavin Hasgawa suggested myself .

I watched him shape one and brought back a copy , Glen's response was " How'd yu do that !

I got the same response in 1993 with Glen and Bobby Owens in the room inspecting my trial board the next time I worked for him .

I gave Wade Tokoro and Don Johnston that 6'6" 5 fin demo to ride - both liked it .

It was a fun time .

#2898692 - 01/15/19 01:49 PM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: Greg Griffin]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

That's awesome!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3