REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2892205 - 12/29/18 10:24 PM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: Mr J]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida
More for Mr.J

Reese racing to beat this blob on the Gulf Coast

Board Created in Hawaii for Everywhere

#2892445 - 12/30/18 09:33 PM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: Greg Griffin]
Mr J Offline
Nep status

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin
More for Mr.J

Reese racing to beat this blob on the Gulf Coast

Board Created in Hawaii for Everywhere

Cool shot Greg jam_on The lip descending in front of Reese look like icicles of snow, he is clearly a very capable surfer prepared to take on a variety of conditions.

Notice the almost complete absence of whisker spray. As I was saying the amount of spray is more to do with the surfers exertion and situation than an indication of efficiency or lack of it.

Referring to the previous photo where you point out the "non deflected" whisker spray. I said the spray was being "left behind", however as Stephen Hawking explained in one of his physics for the masses books there is no such thing as stationary or moving - its all relative, so we could think of the spray as travelling backwards relative to the board. The spray contains some mass and because it is not deflected it is travelling backwards over a portion of the hull surface and would incur "parasitic drag" i.e in this case surface friction drag. That's where I think the source of whisker spray drag is.

Then refer to the article I posted on whisker spray and boats fitted with "spray rails" below the chine which are designed to block the whisker spray to reduce drag. So this actually suggests that deflecting the whisker spray would be a good thing from a speed point of view. You know I don't believe in channels. In a similar way to your lack of faith in concaves I am not saying channels don't do anything, I just don't think they are a good feature. Short channels not a valid design - don't do anything useful and the highly capable Noel Salas demonstrated this in one of his comparison reviews. Long channels, an overly elaborate way of achieving something that surfers have difficulty in describing. Based on theory that I have read, at best long channels might act as spray rails on the whisker side spray of the board. Extrapolating naval architects Lindsay Lord books on overly complex hulls would be a source of suction on the wave face side - at best some good and some bad with some quirks. There must be quirks from cutting out big ruts. I think most surfers go for their looks rather than any knowledge of performance.

Chined/keeled hulls actually take on a sideways position when towed, Lord said this was because there is less suction and less drag when the water is travelling diagonally over the chines/keel.

#2892457 - 12/30/18 09:53 PM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: Mr J]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Same day with Spray :

#2893600 - 01/03/19 04:59 PM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: Greg Griffin]
000 Offline
Duke status

#2893605 - 01/03/19 05:05 PM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: 000]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

She's good Too wave2

#2896526 - 01/10/19 04:46 PM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: Greg Griffin]
Waterlogged05 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

#2896527 - 01/10/19 04:46 PM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: Greg Griffin]
Waterlogged05 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Look what I just found Greg

#2896577 - 01/10/19 06:32 PM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: Waterlogged05]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Oh crap , it has wings drowning

#2896679 - 01/10/19 11:04 PM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: Greg Griffin]
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: 1134

roflmao

#2896720 - 01/11/19 03:38 AM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: Greg Griffin]
Mr J Offline
Nep status

well, you stuck to your policy of providing the rider with adjustable fins. The rear fin is in a short single fin box and the front fins can be moved with an angle grinder and some replacement fin fillet rovings and patches.

#2896725 - 01/11/19 04:36 AM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: Waterlogged05]
Mr J Offline
Nep status

$450 for a 1982 surfboard, quite a collectors item wave2

#2896787 - 01/11/19 11:41 AM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: Greg Griffin]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
When did you start shaping Greg and what inspired you to start?

#2896797 - 01/11/19 12:18 PM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: jkb]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

I started 1967 with Doug Haut

Surfing and surfboard design was very exciting to this teenager

#2896838 - 01/11/19 01:40 PM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: Greg Griffin]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
Very nice cheers

Was your dad a craftsman?

When did you start your own label?

I know you've mentioned working under Brewer, Local Motion, T&C, but did you have your own label at the same time or did you start your own label afterwards?

#2896875 - 01/11/19 03:05 PM Re: Custom for Reese [Re: jkb]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Never worked for Brewer

Worked for the large Hawaiian companies from 1980 - 2007

Those companies don't allow you to do your own label .

My dad was a General Contractor , first Custom Homes then Commercial .

My dad sold his house to this guy George - not greenough , this in the backyard .

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >