REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2883190 - 12/05/18 02:19 AM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Kaser1]
grendel95 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: SJC
If you want to get brand new stuff (or be able to put it all on a credit card) ordering online lets you save on tax and there are a lot of people selling stuff.

The slingshot foils look to be backward compatible and they seem to have cheaper parts when you want to upgrade or try new stuff.

If you have the cash, I would get a setup off craigslist as there are deals every week on lightly used Naish and Go Foils, with the odd Takuma Concept and Lift Foils showing up too.

#2883287 - 12/05/18 10:57 AM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: grendel95]
Kaser1 Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: Foiltown , Hawai'i
Wow was surprised when looking on CL in southern california, there's more on there than I'd thought.

Some deals on boards for sure. A new KT full carbon will run $850+ new on Maui. If you can pick up a used board for around $500 I'd jump on it. Almost all boards are build bulletproof, so most are in good shape. Not sure about the WCFC boards though, they look like they're made of PU foam with regular glass jobs and a carbon patch. I'd imagine those get deck pressure from pumping eventually.

#2883295 - 12/05/18 11:10 AM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip]
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Malibu, CA
You forget how many rich people with disposable income there are in Orange County. Add that plus the steep learning curve for ten or so sessions foiling and used stuff shows up. I think a lot of people tried over the summer. Next year will be interesting.

The wcfc bords are glassed pretty heavy Im guessing as I abuse my gear pretty good and dont have any pressure dings really. I am running full grip though. Bought a big 30x30 patch on amazon cheap and cut it up.

#2883299 - 12/05/18 11:28 AM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip]
Kaser1 Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: Foiltown , Hawai'i
Originally Posted By: Hdip
You forget how many rich people with disposable income there are in Orange County. Add that plus the steep learning curve for ten or so sessions foiling and used stuff shows up. I think a lot of people tried over the summer. Next year will be interesting.

The wcfc bords are glassed pretty heavy Im guessing as I abuse my gear pretty good and dont have any pressure dings really. I am running full grip though. Bought a big 30x30 patch on amazon cheap and cut it up.

Makes sense...you got a link for that 30x30 deck pad? Assuming it's cheaper than the $80 I had to spend for front and tail pads?

#2883314 - 12/05/18 11:45 AM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Kaser1]
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status

Oops 20 x 20 rather. It was $14 bucks. Not currently available it looks like, but you get the idea.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HHNTK7Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#2884201 - 12/06/18 06:40 PM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip]
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status

I'm tired of typing reports, sooooooo.

2018 Naish setup, infiniti tombstone board. $1400 Both masts.

https://ventura.craigslist.org/spo/d/naish-foil-set-foilboard/6743613078.html

#2884342 - 12/07/18 08:11 AM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip]
Clamsmasha Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Nar
Its important to think about where you want to go with foiling. I wish I had, I wouldve saved some money for sure.

In my local area we get pretty short even on foilable waves in summer but we have 2 good things. Very strong Seabreeze pretty much every day during the summer and lots of rock walls and marinas. I know a guy here who put 2 and 2 together and came up with something epic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq6yjv2nRr-/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ohz7wqsezone

Ive been riding a couple of different setups up to this point...both in the 1300ish sqcm range. They have been great for actual surfing and Ive been progressing nicely but Im riding shortish waves and Ive been unable to pump back out.

Today I got a Gofoil Kai-Iwa-M200 tripler secondhand. I went straight to the Iwa, and holy crap it changed everything for me. I pumped out twice on first couple of waves and loved it for surfing. It felt so drivey. Tried the M 200 and it was smooth as silk. So stoked, wish Id done it earlier.

Building a 4 board now too.

Well, Im off to work on dock/rock starts. Enjoy!

#2884492 - 12/07/18 01:56 PM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip]
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status

Yup. A bigger wing and tiny waves seem to me now like the way to start.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2