REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2867053 - 10/28/18 01:32 PM Concussion?
squattyfk Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Reinfecting HB in the OC soon
Lip smacked squarely on my forehead while attempting to tuck under the close out after a ride a couple days ago. When I surfaced I was completely disoriented and dizzy for prob 45 mins. Noticed myself spinning/treading in circles for I don’t now how long and then stopped when I came to my senses and thought what the fuq am I doing. Grabbed my board and floated to shore. Eventually crawled out when I wasn’t so dizzy. Getting those slight jarring sensations in my head and a headache off/on. Going to get it checked tomorrow if it doesn’t subside. I’m resting and icing my forehead and neck. And I was just outta the water for 2 months bc of a bad knee sprain. You’re welcome for the fun swells the last few weeks

#2867081 - 10/28/18 04:05 PM Re: Concussion? [Re: squattyfk]
Duffy Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your mom’s house
Kind of sounds like an inner ear injury.

- The Wasp

#2867870 - 10/29/18 11:57 PM Re: Concussion? [Re: squattyfk]
MelesMeles Offline
Nep status

Loc: Wrong side of the tracks Leuca...
Did you go to the doc?

It sounds to me like you were concussed and TBI and accumulated CTE are no joke. They can even detect or through a blood test when it is recent to the event.

Take it easy.

#2868122 - 10/30/18 02:55 PM Re: Concussion? [Re: squattyfk]
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: around san diego
I’d take it easy. At the very least sounds like a minor concussion.

They’re scary when they are clearly concussions - memory loss, forgetting what you were doing or saying, lack of focus, etc.

I’ve had my bell rung a few times and still need outside influence to slow down.

Slow down, give it a few days. Have seen people not listen to the head and gotten much more serious injuries a few days later with a simple knock to the head that otherwise would have been ok.

#2871738 - 11/07/18 08:05 AM Re: Concussion? [Re: squattyfk]
SurfDoc Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: ex-pat Huntington Beach
Not a concussion. Common problem caused by cold water, acute disorientation due to the smack and spin of a wipe out whatever. Sets the middle ear fluids in motion hence the dizziness sensation. Generally subsides in a few minutes but can last up to a day or two. Rarely needs medical attention just rest and recovery. Concussion needs more neurological symptoms like brief loss of consciousness, slight memory loss, impaired cognition, and possible pupil reaction irregularities.

#2883724 - 12/05/18 11:58 PM Re: Concussion? [Re: Duffy]
xmesa Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Originally Posted By: Duffy
Kind of sounds like an inner ear injury.

#2884469 - 12/07/18 01:11 PM Re: Concussion? [Re: squattyfk]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I've felt that way after faceplanting and getting what feels like half a liter of cold ocean jammed up my sinus....insta sinus pressure dull headache.

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32