REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2880950 - 11/29/18 12:44 AM Endorphins
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status

How fast do endorphins kick in?

If you read my earlier posts I've been diagnosed with a congenital heart condition called a myocardial bridge. My lower anterior descending artery (aka the widow maker) has a bit of heart muscle over it which constricts circulation in the systolic phase.

My symptoms happen (not always) when I run. Within a couple minutes of running I
I will feel chest tightness. In a couple more minutes it goes away. For some reason I've never noticed it surfing.

My cardiologist says the fact that it goes away is a mystery. Another cardiologist suggested that maybe endorphins mask the pain.

Could endorphins kick in in a matter of minutes to mask pain in such a targeted area???

My symptoms are so minor, but one of the effects of a myocardial bridge is sudden death during excercise. Kind of sucks having that looming over you when you do the things you love.

#2883274 - 12/05/18 10:44 AM Re: Endorphins [Re: patrolman]
VaB Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
"My cardiologist says the fact that it goes away is a mystery. Another cardiologist suggested that maybe endorphins mask the pain."

Keep #`1, fire #2. Surgeons used to not give people with appendicitis morphine for fear of "masking the pain" and thus missing the diagnosis. Utter crap. The fact that it goes away means your body has found a way to compensate for the flow. Cardiologist #1 realizes that but doesn't understand why. Good, that's ok, we don't know everything. Cardiologist #2 is making up a crap answer instead of saying "I don't know" - makes no sense. Reality, doesn't always make sense.

When I run, I routinely get an endorphin kick around 17 minutes in.

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32