REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2878892 - 11/23/18 11:58 AM Re: John Roberts is a RINO Activist Judge [Re: StuAzole]
squidley Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: StuAzole
Originally Posted By: squidley
It's hypocritical of a Chief Justice to claim that a lower court is acting impartially when his Supreme Court is forced to overturn virtually all of the lower court's major rulings for being overtly partisan.

How many times do I need to demonstrate you don't know shit about the legal system before you'll shut up?

First, the SCOTUS overturns about 75% of ALL cases it hears. It is far more likely to hear cases that it disagrees with because, well, if they agree, they simply deny cert and let the lower court ruling stand.

Second, the 9th Circuit is behind the 6th and 11th when it comes to being overturned. Those 2 Circuits cover conservative states.

Third, the types of cases coming through the 9th Circuit are often times more cutting-edge than in other districts because of the nature of the territory. There's a lot more going on in CA/Oregon/Washington etc. than other places.

Fourth, shut the fook up.

First, wait. The ninth circus hears more controversial cases so that's why their cases show up so often and get overturned by the Supremes? Then how is it possible, as you claim, that the Ninth Circus doesn't get reviewed or overturned any more than other district courts?

Dumbass.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter...ecord-close-80/

"The Supreme Court reversed about 70 percent of cases it took between 2010-15. Among cases it reviewed from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, it reversed about 79 percent."

And that only covers a period before Trump took office. It's probably gotten worse.

Edited by squidley (11/23/18 12:03 PM)

#2878894 - 11/23/18 12:02 PM Re: John Roberts is a RINO Activist Judge [Re: GDaddy]
grapedrink Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: A Beach
Originally Posted By: GDaddy
For Roberts to deny the federal courts have become politicized is laughable. With that said, I also seem to recall Pres. Obama complaining about court rulings he didn't like.

Nonetheless, the federal court judges are far less team sports than all other branches of government, and most of the electorate for that matter. For the most part they do not systematically default to partisan ideology, hence the butthurt by Trump and his minions here roflmao

#2878896 - 11/23/18 12:15 PM Re: John Roberts is a RINO Activist Judge [Re: grapedrink]
GDaddy Offline
Duke status

Loc: Carlsbad
I agree that the federal judges should be politically impartial and unbiased and I would prefer they act solely on principle, but we're already way past that.

We just witnessed a partisan circus over Trump's (partisan) appointment of Kavanahugh vs the (partisan) opposition of that nomination on purely political grounds. Ditto for the RBG deathwatch. Everyone knows the SCOTUS is politicized. Roberts can say otherwise but that doesn't make it so.

Personally, I hope that if/when RBG retires that whomever is in office at the time picks a nominee who will more/less maintain the current balance. I don't think that letting the political bias of the SCOTUS drift too far away from some sort of balance would be a good thing.

#2878904 - 11/23/18 01:13 PM Re: John Roberts is a RINO Activist Judge [Re: GDaddy]
grapedrink Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: A Beach
Originally Posted By: GDaddy
I agree that the federal judges should be politically impartial and unbiased and I would prefer they act solely on principle, but we're already way past that.

We just witnessed a partisan circus over Trump's (partisan) appointment of Kavanahugh vs the (partisan) opposition of that nomination on purely political grounds. Ditto for the RBG deathwatch. Everyone knows the SCOTUS is politicized. Roberts can say otherwise but that doesn't make it so.

Personally, I hope that if/when RBG retires that whomever is in office at the time picks a nominee who will more/less maintain the current balance. I don't think that letting the political bias of the SCOTUS drift too far away from some sort of balance would be a good thing.

Most of that political theatre was on behalf of Congress, not the judges themselves. The institution itself is politicized, but that is not a direct reflection of how judges use their political beliefs to make decisions. Trump calling out the Idiot in Cheif is a prime example of that.

#2878928 - 11/23/18 03:25 PM Re: John Roberts is a RINO Activist Judge [Re: grapedrink]
GromsDad Offline
Duke status

Loc: West of the Atlantic. East of...
If what Roberts claims were even remotely true democrats would have no reason to go as crazy as they do over republican nominees to the courts.
This is a bad day for the news media. Lets not kid ourselves, Toobin said on CNN. The larger message that a lot of people are going to take from this story is that the news media are a bunch of leftist liars who are dying to get the president, and theyre willing to lie to do it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32