REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 34 of 39 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 38 39
Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Greg Griffin] #2873601
11/09/18 11:35 PM
11/09/18 11:35 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Offline
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Offline
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin

But a word of caution from someone else who used to ride mostly Tomo MPH shapes: You might end up feeling the need to swap out the rest of your quiver as well once you start riding Pyzel shapes -- and that can get costly. #ignoranceisbliss

Does Deforest know this computer

You can lead a deforest to a thruster but you cant make him turn, but for the trees.....

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: delmartian] #2873716
11/10/18 05:43 AM
11/10/18 05:43 AM
G
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Goodfish  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

Originally Posted By: delmartian
Originally Posted By: Goodfish
I'm considering adding either a Ghost or a Phantom to my XTR order that I've got going. The extra board doesn't really add much to the shipping cost, so it would make sense. I've never had a Pyzel before, but I think I've got my choices down to a 5'10 Phantom or a 6'0 Ghost with the volume around 30L. Winter is pretty consistent around here with most days around head-high and some bigger days, and I usually do a trip to Indo each year, so I think I'd have waves to cover either board. However, I will have my Hydronaut to cover the bigger winter swells, typhoons and pumping Indo. So, I'm not sure about which one to go for, but I'm leaning towards a Phantom. Any advice or insight would be mucho appreciated!

I'd recommend the Phantom since you would get more use out of it in waves that are waist high to a few feet overhead and you already have the hydronaut for occasional larger swells. I'd stick to the same volume you are used to in your daily driver mph shapes or even slightly smaller, the Phantom paddles into waves really well.

But a word of caution from someone else who used to ride mostly Tomo MPH shapes: You might end up feeling the need to swap out the rest of your quiver as well once you start riding Pyzel shapes -- and that can get costly. #ignoranceisbliss

Yewwwwwww! That's what I like to hear! Sounds like a good recommendation. That 3 board quiver that Dylan had for sale in the classifieds woulda been perfect for me...

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.
Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: delmartian] #2873960
11/11/18 03:42 AM
11/11/18 03:42 AM
G
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Goodfish  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

Originally Posted By: delmartian
Originally Posted By: Goodfish
I'm considering adding either a Ghost or a Phantom to my XTR order that I've got going. The extra board doesn't really add much to the shipping cost, so it would make sense. I've never had a Pyzel before, but I think I've got my choices down to a 5'10 Phantom or a 6'0 Ghost with the volume around 30L. Winter is pretty consistent around here with most days around head-high and some bigger days, and I usually do a trip to Indo each year, so I think I'd have waves to cover either board. However, I will have my Hydronaut to cover the bigger winter swells, typhoons and pumping Indo. So, I'm not sure about which one to go for, but I'm leaning towards a Phantom. Any advice or insight would be mucho appreciated!

I'd recommend the Phantom since you would get more use out of it in waves that are waist high to a few feet overhead and you already have the hydronaut for occasional larger swells. I'd stick to the same volume you are used to in your daily driver mph shapes or even slightly smaller, the Phantom paddles into waves really well.

OK, so I'm thinking a 5'10 Phantom with stock XTR dims - 2 inches under my height, but around the same volume as most of my boards. I've got a 5'9 Hydrosquash that I've been using a lot when the waves are over shoulder-high, so I was thinking to go with a round tail on the Phantom just to mix it up slightly. Am I sizing it right?

The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.
Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Greg Griffin] #2874068
11/11/18 03:23 PM
11/11/18 03:23 PM
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, D...
P
paunch23 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
paunch23  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
P

Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, D...
Originally Posted By: Greg Griffin

Does Deforest know this computer

i own a stubby bastard thats smaller/less volume than other boards i have. it paddles AS WELL, if not better. looking at it from the side, nose rocker look like it'd plow water. so, maybe he's got something special with the centerline/stringer rocker? awesome board.

Last edited by paunch23; 11/11/18 03:24 PM.

Instagram @chiri_surf_reports
Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz] #2874164
11/11/18 07:50 PM
11/11/18 07:50 PM
SF x Encinitas
B
bluengreen Offline
Grom
bluengreen  Offline
Grom
B

SF x Encinitas
Any thoughts on sizing this board up? This will be my first winter surfing "the beach" in San Francisco. I'm not paddling out any bigger than 2xOH, so I need something in the step-up/mini gun range for those 6-9 foot swells. At 6'4" 190-195lbs, I usually ride a 6'2" Machado Midas (39L), 6'0" Hypto Krypto-type board (36L) from a local shaper, or a 7''0' bonzer egg for cruisier days or when I go to Santa Cruz to surf point breaks. Would a 6'8" Ghost be too much width and volume for big barrels, or should I go with a more traditional mini-gun, like a Lost Retro Gun? Cheers!

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz] #2874168
11/11/18 07:57 PM
11/11/18 07:57 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
I got a 6'1 ghost and really liked it. Felt more confident in bigger waves, so I sized one up to 6'6 but narrower and thinner than stock dims. I've only ridden it once but it felt just like the 6'1. Really happy with it so far. I'm 6'1 190.

6'1 x 19 5/8" x 2 11/16" - 32 liters
6'6 x 19 1/4" x 2 11/16" - 34 liters

Don't be afraid to go thick. The number isn't the same as other boards, it's so thinned out on the rails and tail. I wish I'd gone 2 3/4 on my 6'1 and it'd still be high performance.

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: bluengreen] #2874170
11/11/18 08:09 PM
11/11/18 08:09 PM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Offline
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Offline
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
Originally Posted By: bluengreen
Any thoughts on sizing this board up? This will be my first winter surfing "the beach" in San Francisco. I'm not paddling out any bigger than 2xOH, so I need something in the step-up/mini gun range for those 6-9 foot swells. At 6'4" 190-195lbs, I usually ride a 6'2" Machado Midas (39L), 6'0" Hypto Krypto-type board (36L) from a local shaper, or a 7''0' bonzer egg for cruisier days or when I go to Santa Cruz to surf point breaks. Would a 6'8" Ghost be too much width and volume for big barrels, or should I go with a more traditional mini-gun, like a Lost Retro Gun? Cheers!

For The Beach at that size (DOH) Id get a Padillac. Honestly Id probably just use my 86 Padillac. DOH OB Im not doing turns. Might as well just get in early and get tubed....

But a 70 - 76 would be better.

Last edited by Duffy; 11/11/18 08:10 PM.

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Duffy] #2875309
11/14/18 09:42 PM
11/14/18 09:42 PM
H
HalfBlood Offline
Grom
HalfBlood  Offline
Grom
H

Originally Posted By: Duffy
Originally Posted By: bluengreen

For The Beach at that size (DOH) Id get a Padillac. Honestly Id probably just use my 86 Padillac. DOH OB Im not doing turns. Might as well just get in early and get tubed....

But a 70 - 76 would be better.

Can add my 2 cents here - I have both a 6'2 Ghost and a 7'6 Padillac both of which I use almost exclusively at OBSF. I'm 5'10 and a fit 165 pounds but the 6'2 is stock at 32.8l. My normal HPSB is a 6'0 CI Fever but I usually ride a 5'9 Ward Coffey quad fish anything under head-high at OB, especially if it's fat.

I feel comfortable using the 6'2 Ghost in anything from slightly overhead to ~8 foot but anything more than that, you'll probably feel the need for more foam, especially at a place like OB. The Ghost is good for getting in normal/late for heavy inner bar barrels but the Padillac is clutch when there's a ton of swell and moving water. I've gotten stuck on the inside with my Ghost for 20-30+min, trying to get past the "death-zone" but my Padillac will usually coast somewhat easily through the whitewater to the outside. The length and the foam (most importantly) makes a huge difference in paddling at OB - highly recommend a Padillac for anything above solid ~8-9' foot. It also gets you in way early, enough to set up a solid line for the inside barrel.

The Lost Retro Gun also looks sick - seems to be a bit thinner and narrower than the Padillac overall via pictures but I haven't held one in my hand. Another similar post compared the two saying that a 7'0 Padillac was more of a shrunken big-wave gun (semi-gun) while a similar sized Retro Gun is a grown-up shortboard for bigger waves.

Let me know if you have more thoughts - happy to respond.

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz] #2875326
11/14/18 09:57 PM
11/14/18 09:57 PM
R
ReyRey Offline
Grom
ReyRey  Offline
Grom
R

Finally got my 5'9 XTR ghost in stock dim. (I got it with the red caron Kevlar in 8.0)

Waited a few days to get the board in proper waves, but so far, the board has been working great.

Still getting used to the feel of a XTR board in comparison to traditional team glass PU. (I might try the 8.c if I get a Phantom in 5'7) The board doesn't paddle around as easily as I thought it would like some other guys have mentioned, but it does get into waves like a dream!

Also loving how well the board holds when you really push against during turns, the board also felt "free" once it's up and going on a proper wave face.

I've only tried the AM3 and AM1 fins set up so far, due to my limited futures collection. But so far the AM1 is working a lot better than the AM3 with the smaller trailer fin, (unfortunately, I ripped the trailer fin out of the finbox last night somehow) as the AM3 felt like it was biting into the face more than Id like. Will be trying the John John Techflex Medium and large Blackstix F8 when it arrives in the mailbox.

Thank you all again for the input, stocked!!

Last edited by ReyRey; 11/14/18 10:03 PM.
Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: ReyRey] #2875339
11/14/18 10:22 PM
11/14/18 10:22 PM
Innzid
M
Maz Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
Maz  Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
M

Innzid
Originally Posted By: ReyRey
The board doesn't paddle around as easily as I thought it would like some other guys have mentioned, but it does get into waves like a dream!

Exactly what I found. Felt somewhat insubstantial paddling, but glides in so easily.

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz] #2875341
11/14/18 10:29 PM
11/14/18 10:29 PM
R
ReyRey Offline
Grom
ReyRey  Offline
Grom
R

I agree. If I didn't read the previous posts on this thread I might have blamed it on the construction or glassing haha

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: HalfBlood] #2875551
11/15/18 04:27 AM
11/15/18 04:27 AM
SF x Encinitas
B
bluengreen Offline
Grom
bluengreen  Offline
Grom
B

SF x Encinitas
Thanks for the input, HalfBlood. This is helpful. For the past several weeks I've been going down to Aqua, Wise, and Las Olas far too often to talk boards with the guys in the shops and check the stock out. I ended up at Aqua the day they got a shipment of Ghosts in, including a 6'6. After being determined to buy a 7'0 for weeks, I bought the Ghost half on a whim. Dudes convinced me that a 7'0 was too much sled for the waves I was planning to ride. So looks like I won't be charging as hard as I thought. Probably a good thing, considering I just got back into surfing regularly at 36 and after a 10 year absence. I'll test the limits of the Ghost and take it from there. And let me say, coming from SoCal, all that talk about the OB "death zone," current, and the heaviness of the wave is not hyperbole. I haven't yet had any truly heavy experiences out there this fall, but I remember wanting to puke after making it out on my 7'0 Cambell Bros speed egg on one of those solid 8-foot washing machine days a few weeks ago. Even on shoulder high days, I've sometimes felt like I was fighting just to make it into the lineup. Kinda makes me miss D-Street and Cardiff Reef. Oh well...

Last edited by bluengreen; 11/15/18 04:29 AM.
Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: HalfBlood] #2875981
11/16/18 01:25 AM
11/16/18 01:25 AM
M
mach113 Offline
Grom
mach113  Offline
Grom
M

Do you have any tips for paddling through the "death zone" at OBSF on a bigger board? I've gotten wrecked a few time already this year and it hasn't even gotten super big yet (maybe this evening actually).

Thanks

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: mach113] #2875993
11/16/18 01:47 AM
11/16/18 01:47 AM
Kelly's Cove
Y
YeahNo Offline
Grom
YeahNo  Offline
Grom
Y

Kelly's Cove
Looks like we need a OBSF Death Zone support group beer

Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: mach113] #2876051
11/16/18 05:33 AM
11/16/18 05:33 AM
SF x Encinitas
B
bluengreen Offline
Grom
bluengreen  Offline
Grom
B

SF x Encinitas
Originally Posted By: mach113
Do you have any tips for paddling through the "death zone" at OBSF on a bigger board? I've gotten wrecked a few time already this year and it hasn't even gotten super big yet (maybe this evening actually).

Thanks

Haven't really figured it out yet. But here's my theory:
1. Know the tide. If the tide's going high, the bay is sucking in water, causing the current to pull north. If it's going low, the bay is draining, causing the current to pull south.

2. Watch a few sets to see where the main peaks are. By the time you get to the "death zone" (that area between the inside and outside sand bars), you obviously want to be in between peaks, so that if a set rolls in you're paddling over the shoulders of waves rather than staring into the impact zone.

Page 34 of 39 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 38 39