REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
Page 6 of 16 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16 >
View All Topics Index
#2892490 - 12/31/18 04:16 AM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: stu dog]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: stu dog
Originally Posted By: Iceman
Originally Posted By: frvcvs
Originally Posted By: stu dog
Originally Posted By: bird.
That rear binding angle shocked2

that's some craving angle jam_on

heading up to Mammoth tomorrow dawn patrol. Giving the new 164cm Korua Pencil a test run. LOTS of camber in it. but the setback is much more than my Flagship.

Thats a sexy bitch, eager for your ride report.

Ditto. Would love to try out any of the Koruas.

All hard pack today. All that camber was perfect. Its a medium weight board and stiff but not to stiff. Board is a rocket ship! Goes so fast. If you aint careful itll try to kill you. Not sure if its the factory wax but it just glides like crazy. Doesnt want to stop

Further update: holy fook! With softer snow the Korua Pencil is insane! Long carves but it can easily go rail to rail quickly. And soooo easy to kick out the tail. Any front side bank no matter the rut crud snow this thing smoothly powers thru with zero bumbs. Still need a powder day, but everything else this board owns and will destroy.

#2893318 - 01/02/19 07:29 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
92122 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Got kind of skunked on the snow / conditions a couple weeks ago in Tahoe, but it was good to be in the mountains again. Misty and socked in clouds on the first day at Squaw, and then all that moisture mustve froze overnight because it was way too firm at Alpine Meadows the next day.

No driving hassles, and the wind was mild so overall a great trip with the family.

Edited by 92122 (01/02/19 07:33 PM)

#2895766 - 01/08/19 08:05 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
dl4060 Offline
Grom

Mammoth has gotten pounded with what should be good base snow. My condo mates who are up there now have rubbed it in. I'm leaving Thursday around 5 am for a four day trip. Hopefully a bit more on the way on top of what should by now be a good base. I have not been up since around Dec 20. The base was decent back then, it should be much better now.

#2895854 - 01/09/19 06:24 AM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: dl4060]
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status

Kento and Kirkwood both start with "k's"
Kirkwood is certainly more fun!
beer

#2896022 - 01/09/19 12:41 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
shiver_me_timbers Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Gig Harbor
After 20+ years I finally bought a new pair of OR mitts. Holy fook, they are plush now! If I get another 20 years out of these I'll be 65.

Heading to Whistler next week with wifey and kiddo, Mon-Sat. If anyone is around hit me up. beer

#2896052 - 01/09/19 01:49 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
rice Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: 92122
Got kind of skunked on the snow / conditions a couple weeks ago in Tahoe, but it was good to be in the mountains again. Misty and socked in clouds on the first day at Squaw, and then all that moisture mustve froze overnight because it was way too firm at Alpine Meadows the next day.

No driving hassles, and the wind was mild so overall a great trip with the family.

Went a couple days after you. Killer weather, zero wind and snow was fine, but obviously not epic. Had a day at Homiewood and a day at Squaw. Forgot how fun it is to do turns on mountains.

#2896080 - 01/09/19 03:35 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: PPK96754]
Kento Offline
Duke status

Loc: The Bar
Originally Posted By: PPK96754
Kento and Kirkwood both start with "k's"
Kirkwood is certainly more fun!
beer

roflmao

My daughter probably thinks so too!

Lagged a bit posting this video up. Christmas Eve was absolute hell. Whiteout conditions and the snow was so wet, it literally stuck to your goggles. Thought I was the only one who was suffering but conferring with others, I definitely wasn't. I didn't even get onto the mountain until 2 that day because if it's going to be cruddy, might as well wait until there was some snow accumulation. Got some decent powder but was absolutely soaked by the end.

Christmas Day was really good at Kirkwood; reward for the day before. Foot+ of fresh powder from the day/night before. Was staying slopeside and was on the 5th chair up The Wall that morning. I made sure to be fast with my bindings at top and passed about 12-15 people so dawdling. 2 or 3 others traversed, leaving me with first tracks down the main face. Very sweet - I don't get that very often. Rode for a few more hours with most of my lines in unmolested powder until most of it was tracked out. Still needed a lot more base so powder stashes were relatively limited compared to later in season.

After that, went with my daughter and wife to the bunny hill. My wife spent most the time practicing on her own while my daughter and I took run after run after run - at least 15. So much fun seeing how stocked (and fearless) she was. Tried to convince her to practice turns but she just wanted to point them and go straight, and of course to lead the way. Which gave me many heart attacks since she apparently likes to buzz people close going fast. She also heckled the people falling under the lift. I taught her none of this so obviously this is hereditary. monkey

Absolutely ranks as one of the top days boarding I've ever had. Fresh powder in the morning and then watching my daughter completely stocked. First time she'd ever skied outside of a lesson and she progressed huge since last season as she was able to ride lifts this trip.

VID_20181225_153117842 from KH on Vimeo.

Russ Meyer

#2896097 - 01/09/19 04:03 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: Kento]
rice Offline
Duke status

smile2

#2896133 - 01/09/19 05:41 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
frvcvs Offline
Duke status

Finally made it up to Mammoth this past week. Met an old college friend who has a house in Tahoe. He said Mammoth conditions were far superior to squaw at the moment. This was prior to the most recent snows. It was good to get on the board again. Mostly stayed on piste. Headed up again on Friday, looking forward to better coverage.

"I've been against every Trump/Republican policy implemented and expressed it here." - Caca_Mugrienta

"I'm someone who has spent way more time in the black community than most white people." - Caca_Mugrienta

"Your credential as an ERbb conservative is officially blown." - Squidley

"while it has over 8,000 nerve endings, a clitoris is nowhere near as sensitive as a MAGA snowflake " - StuAzole

#2896154 - 01/09/19 07:08 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: Kento]
92122 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Originally Posted By: Kento
Fresh powder in the morning and then watching my daughter...First time she'd ever skied outside of a lesson and she progressed huge since last season as she was able to ride lifts this trip.

I watched till the end just to be sure she knew how to stop. heh heh. She will improve exponentially from here I'm sure. Always cool to see.

#2896176 - 01/09/19 08:10 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
Kento Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: 92122
Originally Posted By: Kento
Fresh powder in the morning and then watching my daughter...First time she'd ever skied outside of a lesson and she progressed huge since last season as she was able to ride lifts this trip.

I watched till the end just to be sure she knew how to stop. heh heh. She will improve exponentially from here I'm sure. Always cool to see.

On one of the runs, she almost skittered off that edge into the ski racks. Scared me almost as much as a previous run where she came within a couple feet of a 4 year old kid. I was already coming up with apologies in my head in anticipation of a collision. roflmao

Thanks. Can't do too many of those big trips as it's really pricey but looking at going to somewhere like Snow Valley a couple more times this season. Liftopia seems to have good deals. Any other suggestions where to get cheap tickets?

Russ Meyer

#2896180 - 01/09/19 08:21 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: Kento]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
That's funny Kento my daughter ran into a fence (not bad) at Brian Head last year. It was her first day. We went to snow valley last friday and it was perfect for where the family is at skill wise. My daughter and I closed down the mountain after my wife and son quit a little early. She loves it.

I could take or leave the whole snowboard thing living in SD but whole fam is pretty into it so I guess I'm taking it lol.

#2896801 - 01/11/19 12:21 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: silentbutdeadly]
Kento Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly
That's funny Kento my daughter ran into a fence (not bad) at Brian Head last year. It was her first day. We went to snow valley last friday and it was perfect for where the family is at skill wise. My daughter and I closed down the mountain after my wife and son quit a little early. She loves it.

I could take or leave the whole snowboard thing living in SD but whole fam is pretty into it so I guess I'm taking it lol.

Funny, I'm the one dragging my family into skiing/snowboarding. roflmao

Good to know about Snow Valley. I went there once 30 years ago and it was pretty wretched. Overhyped powder day which was actually ice due to rain at end of the storm. And donkeys galore. Similar to Swamis on a hype swell day, I'd suppose. But if it's decent conditions on a relatively empty day, would be a lot of fun to go up there with just my daughter. Especially if I can get away with rentals and tickets run less than $100 for the day. Far cry from a weekend at Mammoth for family of 4, which will run you deep into the thousands of dollars, enough for a month (months?) in Nicaragua. rolleyes roflmao

Russ Meyer

#2896814 - 01/11/19 12:42 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: Kento]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
Oh trust me I would never go there on my own but I've been twice with the kids and have been pleasantly surprised. I mean what are you going to do at Bear/Summit with the kids that you can't do at SV?

I think the entire So Cal mountain scene is pretty ghetto so it doesn't make much difference to me.

My wife wants to do a June trip cause kids are free.

#2896822 - 01/11/19 01:00 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: silentbutdeadly]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly

My wife wants to do a June trip cause kids are free.

grew up skiing June from about age 10 to 18. had a blast there as a kid. my dad use to ride up the face lift with skies, boots (on one of those old school trees handles) and a cooler with our lunch. was sketchy when he'd get off the lift, but he'd do it. last year went back for the first time in nearly 30 years. not much has changed. was a good line at the face lift, but once on the mountain the crowd disappeared quickly. was just lapping J7 and J4 getting wide open runs. the ride down the face is still nerve racking

Page 6 of 16 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32