REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2888359 - 12/17/18 12:41 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: bruddahkine]
bruddahkine Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: bruddahkine
Speaking of Austen Sweetin, if you haven't watched this, do it now. He's easily one of my favorite riders these days. Watch it all the way through.... there's a lot packed into 10 minutes..

The Phil Hansen (in the orange hat) clips at 6:13 are so mental... He's a pro skater for Lib Tech but maybe snowboards better than he skates.

#2888412 - 12/17/18 02:44 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
92122 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

People are scoring this morning at Squaw Valley!! Just saw a few rip some awesome lines as the camera pans / zooms to different zones.

https://squawalpine.com/skiing-riding/weather-conditions-webcams/lake-tahoe-webcams

#2888760 - 12/18/18 12:33 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
rice Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: 92122
People are scoring this morning at Squaw Valley!! Just saw a few rip some awesome lines as the camera pans / zooms to different zones.

https://squawalpine.com/skiing-riding/weather-conditions-webcams/lake-tahoe-webcams

Going to Squaw in 2 weeks. Stocked.

#2889871 - 12/21/18 01:01 AM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: rice]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
Rode Mammoth today. Couple days late but was up for work so I'll take what I can get. Good amount of snow for this time of year and the quality was pretty damn good in certain spots. Surprisingly empty too considering how close we are to Christmas.

Dave's run was the best but the traverse on a snowboard in the wind was a bitch so I only did it twice. Couple of surprisingly good windblown stuff by chair 9 but the lower parts had shit coverage.

#2889983 - 12/21/18 12:31 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
RemyXO Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: San Luis Obispo
Anyone have some good step-in binding rec's? I'd rather not drop $300+ on new bindings, I'm actually looking for a decent one less than $150. I see there's some in that price range, just not sure about their durability. Need a large size for my 12 boots, for all-mountain riding. Thanks in advance. cheers

#2889985 - 12/21/18 12:35 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: RemyXO]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: RemyXO
Anyone have some good step-in binding rec's? I'd rather not drop $300+ on new bindings, I'm actually looking for a decent one less than $150. I see there's some in that price range, just not sure about their durability. Need a large size for my 12 boots, for all-mountain riding. Thanks in advance. cheers

step in-s? there's really only Flow left and the new Burton step in's, but those require special boots

#2890037 - 12/21/18 01:54 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: stu dog]
RemyXO Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: stu dog

step in-s? there's really only Flow left and the new Burton step in's, but those require special boots

Dang, meant to say strap ins. . foreheadslap Just your typical SB bindings. Yeah, not looking at replacing my boots either. Never had the toe cap strap, do you like those?

#2890043 - 12/21/18 02:02 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: RemyXO]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: stu dog

Dang, meant to say strap ins. . foreheadslap Just your typical SB bindings. Yeah, not looking at replacing my boots either. Never had the toe cap strap, do you like those?

the toe caps are pretty standard now. they do relieve pressure on the toes. also good for circulation. my front foot toes would sometimes go numb on the chair lift with over the boot strap fronts. It's peak season so finding something good on sale is kind of tough. maybe could score something on craigs'list? I've been using Union bindings and like them. Had a Ride set of bindings and they were pretty good.

these could be a decent buy
https://www.evo.com/outlet/snowboard-bindings/ride-lx-2018

Edited by stu dog (12/21/18 02:03 PM)

#2890050 - 12/21/18 02:27 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
RemyXO Offline
Michael Peterson status

Thanks Stu, I will look into those. I feel like I'm out of the loop on SB gear, as its been awhile since I've upgraded my equipment. My toes go numb too, hope the toe cap will help that. Always thought it was the boots.

#2890090 - 12/21/18 03:43 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: RemyXO]
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: LA
I think Union bindings are probably the best bang for your buck these days.

Keep in mind that at the $150 price point you're going to get a relatively flexy binding regardless of brand. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to keep in mind. If you can bump it up a hundred bucks, Union Force is a good all mountain binding and cheaper than direct competitors from Burton, Rome, etc. Union Flight if flexy sounds good to you.

I like having Burton bindings though since no matter where you are, the shop's likely to have replacement parts if you find yourself in a jam.

#2890123 - 12/21/18 05:31 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
Iceman Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: NorCenCal
I second the Union binding rec. I went for the Falcors and love them, though a bit more pricey.

My snowboarding trip calendar is filling up fast. Heading to Montana Jan 4-9 to get some action at Big Sky, and now planning to go to Japan the first week of February. Anybody been? Probably end up in the area of Rusutsu/Niseko.

Also want to get to Jackson Hole and Snowbird on separate trips by season's end.

#2890124 - 12/21/18 05:32 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: Iceman]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: Iceman
I second the Union binding rec. I went for the Falcors and love them, though a bit more pricey.

My snowboarding trip calendar is filling up fast. Heading to Montana Jan 4-9 to get some action at Big Sky, and now planning to go to Japan the first week of February. Anybody been? Probably end up in the area of Rusutsu/Niseko.

Also want to get to Jackson Hole and Snowbird on separate trips by season's end.

post some Big Sky pics! thinking of going there this year since they're on the Ikon pass

#2890641 - 12/23/18 01:37 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: Iceman]
dl4060 Offline
Grom

Originally Posted By: Iceman

Nice!! I have seen lots of video footage of Japan, but never been.

Big Sky is another place I have always wanted to go. Definitely some of the best terrain in North America, it is pretty under the radar. The people I know who have been there rave about it.

I ski Mammoth 2-3 weekends a month, which requires a ski lease. The ski lease costs us about 500 a month with utilities over a six month season, which leaves precious little for a travel budget. It is a shame with the Ikon pass having all these great locations I want to hit. I have an old friend from my ski bum days in Tahoe who lives in the bay but is in Tahoe almost every weekend, so I can stay with him and hit Squaw. My wife has a friend whose dad has a place in Utah, so I might be able to get in some Snowbird days, but I don't see a trip to Big Sky or Revelstoke or Jackson as likely. If only Mammoth was an hour away and I didn't need a ski lease! Actually, that would be a disaster, it is crowded enough as it is.

There was a couple who used to be in our ski lease before they bought their own place. They are both attorneys, but they have they, literally, hit Mammoth every weekend. They don't have kids, so they have money and freedom. Each winter they take a two week trip, driving up to the interior of British Columbia, hitting places on the way up and the way back. Some day I would love to do that. Both of them just retired in their early 50's, they still do some consulting on the side, mostly in the summer, but they have moved to Mammoth permanently. They said the two week trip will now last for a month. Needless to say they are pretty pumped on the Ikon pass.

#2890781 - 12/24/18 01:42 AM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: dl4060]
Kento Offline
Duke status

Loc: The Bar
I love the terrain at Mammoth but the mountain and lodging situation has made it kind of a pain in the ass. Something about it trying so hard to be a destination resort just really rubs me the wrong way. shrug

Kirkwood was fun today. Snow is still pretty packed but not too bad. Absolutely empty today. Walked on to every lift. Got my daughter situated with ski school in the morning with hopes being a year older would pay off a lot. After riding umpteen gullies (one of the things I love about Kirkwood) and snagging some sticky powder remnants in the trees for a couple hours, did a few runs with the wife as she is still learning, and then headed over to pick up my daughter.

Stocked! Everything clicked for her (night and day from Mammoth last year where her lesson was so bad she just trudged off the mountain before her lesson ended, never wanting to ski again) and she was up and riding lifts for first time. Had just enough time to get one last run in with her. I have been waiting for this moment a long time. Was awesome to have her ski with me for the first time. And she charged it! Pointed them straight, with exception of small speed checks, just fearlessly hauled ass to the bottom. jam_on

Russ Meyer

#2890878 - 12/24/18 01:15 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
shiver_me_timbers Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Gig Harbor
jam_on

we're taking our daughter up to the mtn this week for her first ski lesson. wink2

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32