REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >
View All Topics Index
#2912095 - 02/11/19 04:58 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: stu dog]
Belchfire1 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: Leucadia
Was up at Mammoth last week Wed-Fri. Stayed in the village with a group from work, annual trip that we have gotten skunked on it the past, but scored this year. Low crowds, deep snow, bluebird skies. Best snow in years for me. Hope everyone has a great winter.

Belch

#2912703 - 02/12/19 07:09 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
92122 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

We made the national news!! ...well, not really, but Squaw Valley did with 50" of accumulation in 24-hours. Against our better judgement, we went for it this weekend despite an official red status winter storm warning, and highway closures imminent. This may have been the trip that broke me on choosing to get out there and soldier through these types of conditions (sorry, no pics of us sliding completely sideways downhill while in 4wd...lol). I can see why many older / wiser snow lovers simply avoid such conditions. Pure luck we made our Sunday evening flight home. Highway 80 didn't open until ~3;45pm Sunday and it was still snowing on the way down the hill.

#2912704 - 02/12/19 07:09 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
92122 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

#2913109 - 02/13/19 04:07 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
GeoPac Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Ballast Point
Man I feel bad for those who didn't stick around for Mondays Bluebird cause it truly was a special day! Entire mountain opened up and nothing but light fluffy powder, blue skies, light winds and the icing on the cake was extremely light crowds. Many Mammoth locals and lift operators claiming it day of the year. My legs are still sore 2 days later. Needless to say I was super stocked to experience such a magical day!

A few pics I snapped throughout the day.

#2913110 - 02/13/19 04:07 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
GeoPac Offline
Gerry Lopez status

#2913113 - 02/13/19 04:10 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: frvcvs]
dl4060 Offline
Grom

Originally Posted By: frvcvs
Just got back from mammoth. Total foolking shit show on Saturday. Only the lower mountain opened due to weather holds. Managed to score some fresh tracks despite the zoo. Last night delivered the goods and the previous days circus and weather seemed to scare off the crowds. Highest I made it on the mountain due to weather holds was traversing to lower Lincoln off of 16. Got it 3rd chair. Was a short run but the snow quality was as good as Ive seen it at mammoth and well over thigh deep in spots. Cant complain. Those lucky enough to stick around another day are going to score big time tomorrow. 80% of the mountain is untracked. Its gonna be all time.

I was lucky enough to be around Monday. I had fun on Saturday, despite the zoo. I waited in line and got a very fresh line down avi 2 on 22, then waited in line for 25 and got a great line there too. After that they shut down 22 and 25. Sunday I lapped roller coaster, usually cutting under Lincoln peak for a fresh line. People were waiting for Canyon express to open instead of using Rollercoaster which amazed me. It was VERY deep and light, some of the best snow I have ever seen at Mammoth. Monday...WOW!!! I left Tahoe in 2004 for weekend warrior status at Mammoth, I get 30-40 days a year, mostly at Mammoth, so I have had lots of Mammoth powder days...But Monday just might have been the best Mammoth top powder day I have ever had. I started out with two laps on chair 5. I assumed 5 would be wind affected, but it really was not. Super deep and light, absolutely awesome. Then I went and waited in line for 23. I assumed 23 would be wind affected, it usually is, but Monday it was pretty much not affected by the wind, at least where I went. You just never get blower powder on the top at Mammoth, it usually slides if it is too light, but despite 4.5 FEET of light fresh, the Paraniods did not slide at all, which does not even seem possible. My first line was in Paranoid 1, and I crossed maybe one track. It was almost waist deep, and VERY light, maybe the best line I have EVER had in the noids. I went back for another round and it was still spectacular, some tracks but still VERY deep and light. I went back again and did a P4 into Philppe's, which was awesome. On the chair ride up for my first lap I saw a guy come rocketing out of Kiwi Flat, launching the cliff instead of wiggling through the choke. After Philippe's I skied a couple of Hangman's laps, which were cut up but beautiful. Hangman's is wide enough that hopefully the usual traverse rut from the skier's right won't develop, you can really ski the choke smoothly. I took a quick break, then took the gondola up and went out to the Dragon's Back for a long line all the way back to Eagle. I took the bus back to the condo, shoveled my car out and drove back home on a high. I'm not positive that was my best day ever at Mammoth, but I don't know if I have ever seen the top that deep, that light, and that stable. I'm still buzzing a few days later. I don't think I will go back up this weekend, but you never know. I'm really glad I was able to stay Monday. I won't ever forget that day. Waist deep, blower hero snow off the top of Mammoth with perfect stability. That just does not happen.

Be VERY careful driving around town. The snow banks are huge and people have to inch out to see if they can pull out. I would encourage everyone to use the shuttle bus system if possible. Mammoth Snowman's weather guy is predicting 60-83 inches at Main Lodge by Monday, it will be more up top. Have fun and stay safe for all who go.

https://www.mammothsnowman.com/

#2913115 - 02/13/19 04:11 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
GeoPac Offline
Gerry Lopez status

A great edit of local pro Gabe Taylor shredding the Mountain Monday

https://www.facebook.com/MammothMountain/videos/383444889106779/

#2913119 - 02/13/19 04:13 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122]
dl4060 Offline
Grom

I should add that even when I left on Monday afternoon Main Street was still only one lane in each direction. The snow banks are nuts.

#2913129 - 02/13/19 04:22 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: GeoPac]
dl4060 Offline
Grom

Originally Posted By: GeoPac

That is sick!

The one thing I wish I would have done would have been to hike Hemlock. Looks like Gabe got at least one great line down Hemlock.

#2913140 - 02/13/19 04:36 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: dl4060]
Kento Offline
Duke status

Loc: The Bar
Originally Posted By: dl4060

That is sick!

The one thing I wish I would have done would have been to hike Hemlock. Looks like Gabe got at least one great line down Hemlock.

I broke trail on Hemlock once after a substantial (5'+) dump. It was closer to swimming breaststroke uphill than hiking. Well worth it in the end but that hike took 45 minutes. drowning That was a prime day though. Got in massive trouble for ditching my family and friends completely (prior to cell phones) showing up at the condo at 5. They all thought I was dead. roflmao

Hemlock is one of my favorite runs at Mammoth. Especially on windy spring days when your tracks get filled in every half hour or so. My record still stands at hiking it 13 times in one day. smile2

Russ Meyer

#2913150 - 02/13/19 04:54 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: dl4060]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
I should add that even when I left on Monday afternoon Main Street was still only one lane in each direction. The snow banks are nuts.

was like that Thursday night when I drove up. person we stayed with who has a house in Mammoth was saying the city hasn't made a dump run yet taking all snow and off loading it down the hill. guess they're waiting for all the storms to clear as it costs the city some decent $'s to dump the snow out of town. crazy they're letting the snow banks eat up a lane of traffic on both sides the street.

#2913174 - 02/13/19 05:38 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: Kento]
dl4060 Offline
Grom

Originally Posted By: Kento

That is sick!

I broke trail on Hemlock once after a substantial (5'+) dump. It was closer to swimming breaststroke uphill than hiking. Well worth it in the end but that hike took 45 minutes. drowning That was a prime day though. Got in massive trouble for ditching my family and friends completely (prior to cell phones) showing up at the condo at 5. They all thought I was dead. roflmao

Hemlock is one of my favorite runs at Mammoth. Especially on windy spring days when your tracks get filled in every half hour or so. My record still stands at hiking it 13 times in one day. smile2

I did my ski bum years in Squaw, and the rule on pow days for hiking was that you wanted to be maybe 10th up a line like Granite Peak. If you are the one breaking trail you will be exhausted and get to watch the people following you get the goods.

13 times!!! That's nuts!! Way to earn it.

#2913182 - 02/13/19 05:57 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: stu dog]
GeoPac Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Originally Posted By: stu dog

was like that Thursday night when I drove up. person we stayed with who has a house in Mammoth was saying the city hasn't made a dump run yet taking all snow and off loading it down the hill. guess they're waiting for all the storms to clear as it costs the city some decent $'s to dump the snow out of town. crazy they're letting the snow banks eat up a lane of traffic on both sides the street.

Snow dump runs started yesterday morning as I was leaving town. There must have been 15 dump trucks full of snow heading out of town towards the 395. Cal-Trans brought in a convoy of plows and heavy equipment at Mammoth Lakes request to clear as much snow as possible before the next atmospheric river returns today. I saw crews up and down every street throughout town digging out fire hydrants and clearing snow off roofs. Mammoth is on the verge of a snow emergency and this next storm is forecasting extremely heavy wet snow (Sierra cement) due to the warmer air mass associated with the storm. A few more feet will most likely put them over the top and possibly cripple the town but crews were hard at work yesterday preparing for it.

#2913190 - 02/13/19 06:08 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: GeoPac]
frvcvs Offline
Duke status

Man I feel bad for those who didn't stick around for Mondays Bluebird cause it truly was a special day! Entire mountain opened up and nothing but light fluffy powder, blue skies, light winds and the icing on the cake was extremely light crowds. Many Mammoth locals and lift operators claiming it day of the year. My legs are still sore 2 days later. Needless to say I was super stocked to experience such a magical day!

A few pics I snapped throughout the day.

It pained me to leave on sunday afternoon. Hard to complain about the low-angle storm riding I got in but I knew what I was gonna be missing. Glad one of us got on it! cheers jam_on

"I've been against every Trump/Republican policy implemented and expressed it here." - Caca_Mugrienta

"I'm someone who has spent way more time in the black community than most white people." - Caca_Mugrienta

"Your credential as an ERbb conservative is officially blown." - Squidley

"while it has over 8,000 nerve endings, a clitoris is nowhere near as sensitive as a MAGA snowflake " - StuAzole

#2913191 - 02/13/19 06:13 PM Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: dl4060]
Kento Offline
Duke status

Loc: The Bar
Originally Posted By: Kento

That is sick!

I did my ski bum years in Squaw, and the rule on pow days for hiking was that you wanted to be maybe 10th up a line like Granite Peak. If you are the one breaking trail you will be exhausted and get to watch the people following you get the goods.

13 times!!! That's nuts!! Way to earn it.

In hindsight, it wasn't a great idea. Total magic day. I somehow got first tracks on everything as lifts progressively opened up.

With the 13 laps up Hemlock, I was practically running up there in 5-7 minutes each time. roflmao

Russ Meyer

Page 12 of 14 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32