REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: bruddahkine] #2905377
01/29/19 06:26 PM
01/29/19 06:26 PM
NorCenCal
I
Iceman Offline
Phil Edwards status
Iceman  Offline
Phil Edwards status
I

NorCenCal
Originally Posted By: bruddahkine
Here's a little edit I made of my groms riding our hill on MLK Day:

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/314023124" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="https://vimeo.com/314023124">Mt. Bachelor MLK Day Pow Day</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/dkoalani">koalani</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Yeeeeew! Sweet little vid.

I'm leaving for Japan on Thursday and am frothing hard! jam_on

Si se puede!
Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122] #2908478
02/04/19 07:12 PM
02/04/19 07:12 PM
92122 Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status
92122  Offline OP
Gerry Lopez status

Been snowing since Friday all over California. Another 2'-3'+ expected through Tuesday.

Will be on Squaw Valley this Saturday if all goes well.

Last edited by 92122; 02/04/19 07:12 PM.

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122] #2908480
02/04/19 07:17 PM
02/04/19 07:17 PM
F
frvcvs Offline
Duke status
frvcvs  Offline
Duke status
F

And I'm stuck at work. banghead

Tomorrow or Wed when the top pops at Mammoth is gonna be all-time. Trying to get up this coming weekend but it seems like the price of accommodations has skyrocketed this season. Can't seem to find anything for less than $300/night anymore. Which isn't terrible when you're going up with the boys and splitting it 4 ways. But when I want to go up with my GF that becomes a really expensive weekend. I need an RV like Q.

"Milk tits rule!" - Bonzer5Fin

"I've been against every Trump/Republican policy implemented and expressed it here." - Caca_Mugrienta

"I'm someone who has spent way more time in the black community than most white people." - Caca_Mugrienta

"Your credential as an ERbb conservative is officially blown." - Squidley

"while it has over 8,000 nerve endings, a clitoris is nowhere near as sensitive as a MAGA snowflake " - StuAzole
Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: frvcvs] #2908491
02/04/19 07:30 PM
02/04/19 07:30 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Offline
Duke status
Kento  Offline
Duke status
K

The Bar
Originally Posted By: frvcvs

Tomorrow or Wed when the top pops at Mammoth is gonna be all-time. Trying to get up this coming weekend but it seems like the price of accommodations has skyrocketed this season. Can't seem to find anything for less than $300/night anymore. Which isn't terrible when you're going up with the boys and splitting it 4 ways. But when I want to go up with my GF that becomes a really expensive weekend.

Yep.

Mammoth can get f*cked for going from a SoCal "local" mountain to a destination resort like Deer Valley or Aspen. Totally different vibe than 25 years ago and extremely overcrowded/overpriced. I'm shocked Chair 22 hasn't turned into a high speed 6-seater with an espresso machine.

Waiting for a particular local mountain to get a few more feet of snow so they can open. At drastically lower prices, powder that stays untracked for more than 45 minutes, and 1/100th the number of people. hat

Nothing is obscene provided it is done in bad taste.

Russ Meyer
Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: Kento] #2908503
02/04/19 07:54 PM
02/04/19 07:54 PM
F
frvcvs Offline
Duke status
frvcvs  Offline
Duke status
F

Originally Posted By: Kento

Tomorrow or Wed when the top pops at Mammoth is gonna be all-time. Trying to get up this coming weekend but it seems like the price of accommodations has skyrocketed this season. Can't seem to find anything for less than $300/night anymore. Which isn't terrible when you're going up with the boys and splitting it 4 ways. But when I want to go up with my GF that becomes a really expensive weekend.

Yep.

Mammoth can get f*cked for going from a SoCal "local" mountain to a destination resort like Deer Valley or Aspen. Totally different vibe than 25 years ago and extremely overcrowded/overpriced. I'm shocked Chair 22 hasn't turned into a high speed 6-seater with an espresso machine.

Waiting for a particular local mountain to get a few more feet of snow so they can open. At drastically lower prices, powder that stays untracked for more than 45 minutes, and 1/100th the number of people. hat

PM me if you're ever interested in making a surgical strike to this mountain. If we're thinking about the same place they just got 21" of new snow and counting and they're currently on weather hold due to high winds.

Give it some time for Chair 22 to have espresso machines on it. The ikon pass is royally fvcking things up. I hear the mountain is dead on blackout days and the weekends before and after them are swamped. They're going to have to adjust. My friends and I are talking about skipping mammoth all together next season and just planning a couple 2 and 3 day cat trips instead. It could be cost neutral if we do it right.

"I've been against every Trump/Republican policy implemented and expressed it here." - Caca_Mugrienta

"I'm someone who has spent way more time in the black community than most white people." - Caca_Mugrienta

"while it has over 8,000 nerve endings, a clitoris is nowhere near as sensitive as a MAGA snowflake " - StuAzole
Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: frvcvs] #2908507
02/04/19 08:02 PM
02/04/19 08:02 PM
CA
S
stu dog Offline
Duke status
stu dog  Offline
Duke status
S

CA

Yep.

PM me if you're ever interested in making a surgical strike to this mountain. If we're thinking about the same place they just got 21" of new snow and counting and they're currently on weather hold due to high winds.

Give it some time for Chair 22 to have espresso machines on it. The ikon pass is royally fvcking things up. I hear the mountain is dead on blackout days and the weekends before and after them are swamped. They're going to have to adjust. My friends and I are talking about skipping mammoth all together next season and just planning a couple 2 and 3 day cat trips instead. It could be cost neutral if we do it right.

heading up this weekend. also might do a strike mission to Niseko next weekend since it's on the Ikon pass and my brother will be out there. I don't think it's the Ikon pass royalty fooking things up. I'd say it's more the price of regular tickets. $170-ish per day? HOLY fook. They're pricing out even more so now non-passholders. What I've noticed is a lot more families hanging around the lodges not skiing/snowboarding in regular clothes waiting for maybe one person in their group to come off the mountain.

impulse purchased and ordered a set of Union Atlas. they better get here ASAP like backcountry claimed so I can use them this weekend.

Last edited by stu dog; 02/04/19 08:07 PM.
Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: frvcvs] #2908517
02/04/19 08:14 PM
02/04/19 08:14 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Offline
Duke status
Kento  Offline
Duke status
K

The Bar

Yep.

Will do. Might be different mountain than you're thinking of but is far and away best in SoCal but more for backcountry access. I may have said too much already. computer

The pricing is very demoralizing. Easily costs well into the thousands of dollars for a family of 4 to go for a weekend and that is absurd IMO. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was how piss-poor their children's ski school was and how amazingly disorganized their staff is, never mind the hour+ lit lines. Maybe if they focused purely on the mountain and direct services instead of all the vapid periphery (microcosm of America), things wouldn't have gotten as out of control. Nothing they have done is an improvement in my opinion (well, aside from sidestepping up that hill to get on to Chair 1). While I am not a fan of Vail buying out Kirkwood, at least they have their shit together.

Probably would be cost-neutral. Hell, a 3 month trip to Central America would probably be cost-neutral compared to a couple holiday weekends at Mammoth. crazy2

Russ Meyer
Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: stu dog] #2908527
02/04/19 08:32 PM
02/04/19 08:32 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Offline
Duke status
Kento  Offline
Duke status
K

The Bar
Originally Posted By: stu dog
I'd say it's more the price of regular tickets. $170-ish per day? HOLY fook. They're pricing out even more so now non-passholders. What I've noticed is a lot more families hanging around the lodges not skiing/snowboarding in regular clothes waiting for maybe one person in their group to come off the mountain.

I noticed that too - the majority of people traveling up there are not there to ski or snowboard. Which further clogs up the lodging and restaurants.

Yep, they have priced me out. I bought the pass that one year in light of the lift tickets but still was not worth it whatsoever when combined with lodging, daycare, kids rentals (which can take an hour+ on their own due to gross incompetence and understaffing), food, etc. Used to be a family resort and it isn't anymore. Been going there a long time and it makes me a bit bitter how badly they've sold out. They turned into Aspen.

Going forward, it will be day trips to local mountains and occasional forays to Utah, which is much cheaper.

Russ Meyer
Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: Kento] #2908612
02/04/19 10:57 PM
02/04/19 10:57 PM
Orange County
L
littlewave Offline
Michael Peterson status
littlewave  Offline
Michael Peterson status
L

Orange County
Originally Posted By: stu dog
I'd say it's more the price of regular tickets. $170-ish per day? HOLY fook. They're pricing out even more so now non-passholders. What I've noticed is a lot more families hanging around the lodges not skiing/snowboarding in regular clothes waiting for maybe one person in their group to come off the mountain.

I noticed that too - the majority of people traveling up there are not there to ski or snowboard. Which further clogs up the lodging and restaurants.

Yep, they have priced me out. I bought the pass that one year in light of the lift tickets but still was not worth it whatsoever when combined with lodging, daycare, kids rentals (which can take an hour+ on their own due to gross incompetence and understaffing), food, etc. Used to be a family resort and it isn't anymore. Been going there a long time and it makes me a bit bitter how badly they've sold out. They turned into Aspen.

Going forward, it will be day trips to local mountains and occasional forays to Utah, which is much cheaper.

If my family didn't have a place up there, I'd be singing the same tune. I'm locked in to Mammoth unless/until the family spot disappears.

On a related note, I need a new jacket, and I'm waffling between a hardshell or soft shell. Pretty much only used at Mammoth, for whatever that's worth. Anyone want to throw out some suggestions?

Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: littlewave] #2908613
02/04/19 11:00 PM
02/04/19 11:00 PM
CA
S
stu dog Offline
Duke status
stu dog  Offline
Duke status
S

CA
Originally Posted By: littlewave

On a related note, I need a new jacket, and I'm waffling between a hardshell or soft shell. Pretty much only used at Mammoth, for whatever that's worth. Anyone want to throw out some suggestions?

Patagonia Powder Bowl non-insulated. Goretex and not too heavy. I've used it on both hot and cold days. got mine on sale two seasons ago. love it. on a cold day I wear a Nano air puff and am totally fine. high collar to block the wind from your face. hood will go over a helmet. a spring type of day just long sleeve undershirt + t-shirt and not overheating too much.

Last edited by stu dog; 02/04/19 11:03 PM.
Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122] #2908625
02/04/19 11:18 PM
02/04/19 11:18 PM
Orange County
L
littlewave Offline
Michael Peterson status
littlewave  Offline
Michael Peterson status
L

Orange County
Yeah, that jacket is up there on the list. I run hot and sweaty, so I usually have to layer well and vent pretty heavily to dump heat.

Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122] #2908669
02/05/19 12:12 AM
02/05/19 12:12 AM
F
frvcvs Offline
Duke status
frvcvs  Offline
Duke status
F

I've always been a fan of Burton's AK line. Can be a bit pricy, along the same lines as Patagucci. You can poach sales for last season's models 30-40% off and they comes with a lifetime warranty. I have the AK Hover jacket and love it. Keeps me dry and is nice and light. Pair it up with a fleece or a nano air vest or just a t-shirt depending on weather and it keeps me covered. IMHO Gore-tex is a must. There's nothing better than when your gear works for you. You're warm and dry but not overheating and your goggles aren't fogged up. I'd pay a premium for that any day.

That said, with all the pricey gore-tex gear I got curious seeing all the patrolman and lifties using the cheap kinco gloves and decided to give them a try. Picked up a pair of mittens and some snow seal on Amazon for around $20 and haven't looked back. No more $100 gloves for me. These things simply work. And like a baseball mitt seem to get better over time.

Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122] #2909006
02/05/19 07:09 PM
02/05/19 07:09 PM
D
dl4060 Offline
Grom
dl4060  Offline
Grom
D

Mammoth has gotten crushed with this storm. Be safe anyone who is up there. I will be heading up Friday at 4 am along with the rest of socal.

As far as Mammoth as a destination resort, it has frustrated me too. I went to UCSB, where I was on the ski team. We had a house that we rented every year, so you could join the team and go up 2-3 weekends a month an spend vacations there. Usually there would be 20 people crashed in sleeping bags, but it was college, so no big deal. I first skied Mammoth in January of 1994, and I loved it. I grew up in the east skiing bumps, and the places out west I had skied were Vail, Sun Valley, Park CIty, Squaw and Aspen. I had also been to Copper and Abasin on the all-Cal ski trip. The only one of those places I liked better than Mammoth was Squaw, Mammoth is steeper than any of those places except MAYBE Abasin, and Abasin is not nearly as big as Mammoth. I don't think socal people realize how great this mountain is, it is truly one of the best in the country. But as a destination resort, I don't think it really makes sense for a family from, say, Chicago. If you like steep terrain, Mammoth is awesome, much better than Vail. But for a family of intermediate to advanced intermediate skiers/boarders, what does Mammoth have that Vail does not? Those people are not dropping cliffs or skiing Philippe's any time soon. The noids and hangman's are also probably a bit steep for them, so why would they fly into Mammoth, a sketchy flight, when they could more easily go into Park City, Vail or Aspen? I don't think the village will ever work the way they think it will, from what I have heard they have never really courted the local community very well. I know the powers that be WANT to make Mammoth a destination resort, like Vail, but I don't think it will really work. My dad flew in there a couple of years ago, and he said it was the worst flight of his life. Flights get canceled in and out of that airport all the time. If I was Mammoth I would never have spent all that money trying to compete with Vail/Aspen. You have a great mountain, and a built-in customer base that can drive up for weekends. Tahoe is similar, but Reno is a much easier place to fly into. Also, Tahoe has lots of resorts, Mammoth only has Mammoth and June, which means that there is nowhere for the crowds to spread to. I don't think that in the long term things with the village will work out well. I would expect to see more people from Ikon pass places, Denver people who regularly ski Winter Park and folks from Seattle who regularly ski Crystal for instance. You will also get more people from Tahoe and Reno coming. Among serious skiers/boarders, Mammoth has always been known as one of the best mountains in the country, but I don't think they are every going to get the intermediate/midwest vacation crowd. That is who they are going for, and I don't know if it will work. I hope it does not, Mammoth is crowded enough. I'm just really glad that the yellow line goes right by our condo, Mammoth had a parking problem back in 1994, now it is much worse.

The ski industry is eventually going to have a problem. My parents skied a little bit, but they were not all that serious. Growing up in the mid-hudson valley I had places like Belleayre that were 1.5 hours away and cost 20 dollars for a lift ticket. I started when I was 9, and got pretty into, but people could be casual skiers and ski 5 days a year and it was not absurdly expensive. It actually costs far less to be a serious skier these days, for 900 bucks your tickets are essentially covered, back when I lived in Tahoe, I left in 04, a season pass at Squaw was 1600. But it has become extremely expensive to be someone who skis a few days a year. A family of four that wants to do a three day weekend at Mammoth you are talking about AT LEAST 600 a day on lift tickets. Then you have to pay for food. Then lodging. You might also have to rent gear. If the industry is not careful, it will get to the point where the ONLY people who can ski casually are those who are lower upper class and above. You will price out even the upper middle class. Serious skiers will still be able to afford it, because they will get Ikon/Epic passes, but the casual skier will disappear, unless they are very wealthy. My parents were of reasonable means, but if skiing was as expensive then (present valuing what it costs now and going back to the mid-80's) as it is now I might never have gotten into it. This COULD actually be a good thing for mom and pop places. They have the opportunity to charge less for a day ticket, and possibly get those casual skiers.

Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122] #2909016
02/05/19 07:22 PM
02/05/19 07:22 PM
San Luis Obispo
R
RemyXO Offline
Michael Peterson status
RemyXO  Offline
Michael Peterson status
R

San Luis Obispo
Stocked. Going to Sugar Bowl this weekend. Dumping up there, as they've gotten 6'+ the past week, with 2'+ forecasted this weekend. Hope the roads stay open.

Re: ***Official Snow Surfing 2018 - 2019 Thread*** [Re: 92122] #2909029
02/05/19 07:40 PM
02/05/19 07:40 PM
F
frvcvs Offline
Duke status
frvcvs  Offline
Duke status
F

I have mammoth booked for this weekend with my GF. Motel Sex 6 for us. dancing I'll be up early for surgical strikes and will hope to be off the mountain and hanging with her late in the day since I'll be riding solo. Maybe get into some cross country with her since thats more her speed. Looks like more snow headed their way on sat and sun and things seem to be setting up for some Atmospheric River action. jam_on

Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32