REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
Page 33 of 34 < 1 2 ... 31 32 33 34 >
View All Topics Index
#2872249 - 11/07/18 10:35 PM Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Hoarder]
waxurDyl Offline
Nep status

Loc: SoBay
I like the TechFlex WCT set in all my round pins. I don’t need fins with much rake in my round pins since the narrower tail will provide enough hold on its own. The WCTs have a wider tip and are more upright than most templates

Edited by waxurDyl (11/07/18 10:36 PM)

#2872309 - 11/08/18 01:24 AM Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz]
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Techflex YU thruster in bigger waves. AM2 in smaller waves.

#2872563 - 11/08/18 12:38 PM Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz]
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: PNW
I'm a fan of AM2's in most of my daily driver boards but I felt a little over-finned when I ran them in the Ghost. Medium Dane, JJF feel good but my favorite at the moment is the Creatures ARC Fiberglass Medium. I'm 170-175 and usually ride the Ghost in overhead beachbreak conditions.

#2872833 - 11/08/18 04:00 PM Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz]
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Being that the board has built in speed and I'm usually using it in good waves, I'm debating going with a smaller more maneuverable fin, like WCT futures.

#2872840 - 11/08/18 04:10 PM Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz]
EntropyFletch Offline
Nep status

Loc: San Diego
Originally Posted By: Maz
Originally Posted By: EntropyFletch
I just bought a stock 6' Ghost off the rack. I'm 6' x 165 lbs. I am planning to use this board in bigger/hollower surf (HH+-DOH) around SD (Black's, Baja Malibu, etc) and to take on a trip to Indo in Sept 2019. It has Futures fin boxes, which I dont have a lot of fins for. I generally prefer quad set up, but am not opposed to tri.

What fins would the ERBB brain trust recommend for this board and this purpose?

I wouldn't recommend riding a 6'0 in 15ft faces, but if you do, go AM Large, thruster.

Ghost is a great board for Indo.

Thanks for the recommendation, but last time I checked DOH was 12' face...

#2872843 - 11/08/18 04:12 PM Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: EntropyFletch]
Duffy Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your mom’s house
I just bought a stock 6' Ghost off the rack. I'm 6' x 165 lbs. I am planning to use this board in bigger/hollower surf (HH+-DOH) around SD (Black's, Baja Malibu, etc) and to take on a trip to Indo in Sept 2019. It has Futures fin boxes, which I dont have a lot of fins for. I generally prefer quad set up, but am not opposed to tri.

I wouldn't recommend riding a 6'0 in 15ft faces, but if you do, go AM Large, thruster.

3 feet Hawaiian.

- The Wasp

#2872877 - 11/08/18 05:01 PM Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: waxurDyl]
EntropyFletch Offline
Nep status

Originally Posted By: waxurDyl
I like the TechFlex WCT set in all my round pins. I don’t need fins with much rake in my round pins since the narrower tail will provide enough hold on its own. The WCTs have a wider tip and are more upright than most templates

I like upright rears in quads...

#2873052 - 11/08/18 08:48 PM Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz]
Goodfish Online   content
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Pacific NW
I'm considering adding either a Ghost or a Phantom to my XTR order that I've got going. The extra board doesn't really add much to the shipping cost, so it would make sense. I've never had a Pyzel before, but I think I've got my choices down to a 5'10 Phantom or a 6'0 Ghost with the volume around 30L. Winter is pretty consistent around here with most days around head-high and some bigger days, and I usually do a trip to Indo each year, so I think I'd have waves to cover either board. However, I will have my Hydronaut to cover the bigger winter swells, typhoons and pumping Indo. So, I'm not sure about which one to go for, but I'm leaning towards a Phantom. Any advice or insight would be mucho appreciated!

#2873055 - 11/08/18 09:09 PM Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz]
smithgrind Offline
Grom

FCS PG 5 tri and quad set for my Ghost. Rounded pin = less raked fins.

#2873095 - 11/08/18 10:41 PM Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Maz]
Wcurtain Offline
Grom

Here's my review of the Ghost.

Board is 6' 2" 18 5/8 2 5/16. XTR 8.C. Sprayed it Gray so the board will look ageless as it is a bday gift. I am 5' 10" 154 lbs give and take. 41 years old. Been surfing for 17 odd years or so.

Board is a step up and so it is a little longer than what I usually ride. Surfed it at a reef break in Sumatra. Waves were head high at best that day. It paddles very well, like what everyone says online. I was surprised how quick it took to get into the line up. It catches waves very easily and yes, lots of get up and go speed. Although I would have liked to use it on bigger waves, only head high waves were on offer that day. It could very well be a one board quiver. I could ride it from waist to as big as you can ride it. It's got quite a low end (Not grovel). Sweet spot on the board is really wide open. I never felt that my back foot had to be in a specific spot at any time. Just felt natural riding it. This is really a banger of a board. Think Jon really nailed it. I was debating whether I got it a little too thin as Jon recommends to ride it 1/8 thicker than what you usually ride. But I guess 2 5/16 is fine. The foam is really packed right where the chest is.Rounded pin does have a little more hold. Would have liked to ride it more but I had limited time in Sumatra and had another new Lost Driver to ride and test. Long story short, very very happy with the Ghost, can't say enough good things about it. I will be ordering one in XTR and shorter for the more normal days.

Edited by Wcurtain (11/08/18 10:53 PM)

#2873133 - 11/09/18 02:07 AM Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: EntropyFletch]
Maz Offline
Nep status

Loc: Innzid

Didn't mean to be snide, but my take was: 6ft faces = head high = approx 3ft NZ/Aus. 2xOH to me is pretty fricken solid.

#2873134 - 11/09/18 02:14 AM Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Racer1]
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: Racer1
Being that the board has built in speed and I'm usually using it in good waves, I'm debating going with a smaller more maneuverable fin, like WCT futures.

If you have a set already give them a shot but my gut tells me they will feel a little small.

#2873271 - 11/09/18 12:02 PM Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: smithgrind]
crotchgrab Offline
Nep status

Originally Posted By: smithgrind
FCS PG 5 tri and quad set for my Ghost. Rounded pin = less raked fins.

Tail shape isn't as important to me as rocker when it comes to choosing fins. Flat tail? Upright fin. More tail rocker-re:ghost? More rake.
Each board's different, however.

#2873305 - 11/09/18 12:37 PM Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: Goodfish]
delmartian Offline
Grom

Originally Posted By: Goodfish
I'm considering adding either a Ghost or a Phantom to my XTR order that I've got going. The extra board doesn't really add much to the shipping cost, so it would make sense. I've never had a Pyzel before, but I think I've got my choices down to a 5'10 Phantom or a 6'0 Ghost with the volume around 30L. Winter is pretty consistent around here with most days around head-high and some bigger days, and I usually do a trip to Indo each year, so I think I'd have waves to cover either board. However, I will have my Hydronaut to cover the bigger winter swells, typhoons and pumping Indo. So, I'm not sure about which one to go for, but I'm leaning towards a Phantom. Any advice or insight would be mucho appreciated!

I'd recommend the Phantom since you would get more use out of it in waves that are waist high to a few feet overhead and you already have the hydronaut for occasional larger swells. I'd stick to the same volume you are used to in your daily driver mph shapes or even slightly smaller, the Phantom paddles into waves really well.

But a word of caution from someone else who used to ride mostly Tomo MPH shapes: You might end up feeling the need to swap out the rest of your quiver as well once you start riding Pyzel shapes -- and that can get costly. #ignoranceisbliss

#2873439 - 11/09/18 02:28 PM Re: Pyzel Ghost? [Re: delmartian]
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status

Loc: Palm Coast , Florida

But a word of caution from someone else who used to ride mostly Tomo MPH shapes: You might end up feeling the need to swap out the rest of your quiver as well once you start riding Pyzel shapes -- and that can get costly. #ignoranceisbliss

Does Deforest know this computer

Page 33 of 34 < 1 2 ... 31 32 33 34 >