REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 23 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 22 23
Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip] #2905114
01/29/19 01:23 AM
01/29/19 01:23 AM
Here
S
sizzld1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
sizzld1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Here
First few sessions were down at the northside of Zuma by Trancas. Also had a couple of quick and frustrating sessions at Sunslop trying to pick off waves under an army of sups and wavestorms...while also making sure I wasn't going to put anyone in a dangerous position on the inside.

My first session at Zuma got me hooked instantly. It was a perfectly glassy morning, dead clear water, 1-2 foot and soft. The first wave that I finally felt any measure of control over the foil (a very relative term given that I still have no real control) a little seal came swimming directly under me and all I could think was "damn, you have no idea how much danger you are in right now little buddy." monkey

I'd be stocked to meet up once I have my feet under me a bit better. Hopefully won't be too long. cheers

"I love it when people who are supposed to be surfers.....posting on a surfing forum.....don't know the difference between stoke and stock." - GromsDad
"I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too." - Mitch Hedberg
Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip] #2905139
01/29/19 02:29 AM
01/29/19 02:29 AM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i
Originally Posted By: Hdip
Is that @Foiltheworld 's setup? He went on a plane somewhere and had 4 wings with him. Which wing was it? the 1600 I'm guessing if it's close to the Iwa in size.

Edit: I'll guess it was foiltheworlds setup, since you're in his instagram stories haha. He has a snapped fuselage in his stories too. I can't really tell what brand it is from the shot though. Not an armstrong though as he typed "no titanium".

yea met up with him this morning. he was alittle late and i was about done when he got there. i did see that tail snap pic, dunno if that was his or not. the harbor is deep enough where you don't hit bottom, that musta been either a structure fail due to flaw or maybe a wave did it when he lost his board. there were some punchy sets out there.

FoilAholic
Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip] #2905140
01/29/19 02:39 AM
01/29/19 02:39 AM
Nar
C
Clamsmasha Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Clamsmasha  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
C

Nar
How do you lose a 200? They float like bitch....

Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Kaser1] #2905146
01/29/19 03:03 AM
01/29/19 03:03 AM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
The snapped foil picture foiltheworlds stories wasnt his. Repost of another account.

Zuma is where I started too. Really frustrating spot to learn though. I did a bunch of days at heavens. Its usually empty enough and the ones at lower tide that roll in off the kelp are long enough to get good rides on.

If youre not adverse to driving Ventura harbor has been real good for foiling the last week. The small ones at low tide today wouldve been perfect for learning. Just walk one or two peaks south of the surfers knoll parking lot. In front of the rivermouth is a bit shallow though.

Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip] #2905169
01/29/19 04:30 AM
01/29/19 04:30 AM
SJC
G
grendel95 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
grendel95  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

SJC
Got my XL wings!! But now I have to free all the bolts on my fuselage cussing

Already broke my large phillips attachment and ripped the head off one bolt...

Loosen everything after every session people!

Chuck Patterson paddled out today and I got to pick his brain a bit between 1 footers. He told me he's going to be testing the new Naish wings next week, hinted there is going to be a wing between the L and the XL.

Got one of his waves on my instagram while packing up.

Last edited by grendel95; 01/29/19 04:34 AM.

Vivat Grendel!
Instagram: @mighty_surf hat
Re: Best foil for you. [Re: grendel95] #2905173
01/29/19 04:51 AM
01/29/19 04:51 AM
Nar
C
Clamsmasha Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Clamsmasha  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
C

Nar
Hey Grendel,when you do get them out swap for hex heads. So much better.

Re: Best foil for you. [Re: grendel95] #2905222
01/29/19 01:07 PM
01/29/19 01:07 PM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline
Kaser1  Offline
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i
Originally Posted By: grendel95

Chuck Patterson paddled out today and I got to pick his brain a bit between 1 footers. He told me he's going to be testing the new Naish wings next week, hinted there is going to be a wing between the L and the XL.

Got one of his waves on my instagram while packing up.

Chuck is good people! Always smiling..

FoilAholic
Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip] #2905302
01/29/19 04:48 PM
01/29/19 04:48 PM
Here
S
sizzld1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
sizzld1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Here
Originally Posted By: Hdip
The snapped foil picture foiltheworlds stories wasnt his. Repost of another account.

Zuma is where I started too. Really frustrating spot to learn though. I did a bunch of days at heavens. Its usually empty enough and the ones at lower tide that roll in off the kelp are long enough to get good rides on.

If youre not adverse to driving Ventura harbor has been real good for foiling the last week. The small ones at low tide today wouldve been perfect for learning. Just walk one or two peaks south of the surfers knoll parking lot. In front of the rivermouth is a bit shallow though.

Thanks for the head up. I've been checking Staircase occasionally but hadn't really given Heavens much thought. Now that you mention it, it does seem like a good spot to learn. Same with Ventura. Always thought Shores would be a good area, but wouldn't have really thought about the harbor zone as much. cheers

"I love it when people who are supposed to be surfers.....posting on a surfing forum.....don't know the difference between stoke and stock." - GromsDad
"I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too." - Mitch Hedberg
Re: Best foil for you. [Re: sizzld1] #2905395
01/29/19 06:56 PM
01/29/19 06:56 PM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
I started at the left on the North side of staircase actually. Ran into steamroller there once even. I found Heaven's to be better though. I've always thought that about shores too. With the big fat middle section would be good I bet. I only ever look at it when it's overhead though and dropping in on overhead waves on a foil is a challenge.

/end thread hijack.

Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Clamsmasha] #2905737
01/30/19 05:04 AM
01/30/19 05:04 AM
SJC
G
grendel95 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
grendel95  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

SJC
Originally Posted By: Clamsmasha
Hey Grendel,when you do get them out swap for hex heads. So much better.

Done! Hopefully no more frozen components.

Got the XL setup and out today in small beachbreak as my surf window was during low tide.

Took me about 15 minutes to figure I shouldn't try to takeoff on the sets and moved inside to the real dribblers, this wing is a hovercraft.

So much fun in 1ft. waves. Truly a foot tall, the waves breaking outside were waist high dumpy closeouts with the inside barely breaking. The XL was eating up the tiny lumps coming in. Not super long rides, but way longer than anyone else that tried to sit on the stretch I was foiling.

As for the ride, I can definitely feel how some people say its "slower." It doesn't like a lot of heavy input, I bucked myself off plenty trying to get it flying on the takeoff as I would on my regular setup. About half an hour in I was able to get it wired, just let the wing build speed and make subtle movements.

I'm sure I would've had fun on my L wing today, but the XL could catch anything that looked like it would break.
Gonna try and beat the tide and get it out at the local tomorrow, hopefully see how long I can pump it!

Vivat Grendel!
Instagram: @mighty_surf hat
Re: Best foil for you. [Re: grendel95] #2905756
01/30/19 05:48 AM
01/30/19 05:48 AM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
Nice. Just in case you missed it. Read the qoute above from seabreeze forum regarding how to trim the rear wing.

Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip] #2906258
01/30/19 10:26 PM
01/30/19 10:26 PM
K
keoki Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
keoki  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
K

Its been super small/weak down here in south oc lately. Have been trying to get the GF IWA to work for me. Got some lift/glides but wish that I had the bigger wing Maliko. I was too cheap when starting out to get the combo pack. Now regret it. any ideas or locations where I could buy just the wing?

Of course, if i get the wing i am sure swell will pick up so i dont need it.

Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip] #2906264
01/30/19 10:34 PM
01/30/19 10:34 PM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
I really don't think you need the Maliko if you're trying to ride waves. I've seen Gregfoil on some super soft 1 footer's connecting 4 waves in a row on the Iwa.

That being said, GoFoil wings used to have to be matched in the factory to the fuselage. I'm not sure if that is still the case or not. I seem to remember reading that you could sand the fuselage to get them to fit. Read up on that before you spend money on a new wing.

Here is Ryan Hurley on the Naish Large, which is smaller than the Iwa, making it look easy in some weak OC waves. It's all about technique. You'll get it, just keep going.

Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip] #2906271
01/30/19 10:41 PM
01/30/19 10:41 PM
K
keoki Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
keoki  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
K

Hdip, true that. I have seen Greg down at sano. he is really good. I definitely need more time under my belt, have only been at it for a few months now.

Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip] #2906305
01/30/19 11:34 PM
01/30/19 11:34 PM
Nar
C
Clamsmasha Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Clamsmasha  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
C

Nar
Keoki, I have the triple and the Iwa is probably my favourite wing overall but I do surf the 200 pretty regularly too. Im 80kg and proning.

Depends on your conditions I guess but at this time of the year my local waves a generally a bit of whitewash coming off the back of a dry rock....just enough to kick me in bum so I can get up and pump away..def 200 territory, but I can do it wth the Iwa too just takes better timing and skill.

Page 6 of 23 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 22 23