REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2896313 - 01/10/19 09:15 AM Re: Flu Shot [Re: acnjusa]
GromsDad Offline
Duke status

Loc: West of the Atlantic. East of...
Originally Posted By: acnjusa
Originally Posted By: noone
Especially if you use mass transit at all.

The last time i got REALLY sick was about 2 hours after i passed through (PHL) the airport.

The worst is being on the airplane death tube. Always paranoid about getting sick after being crammed into a tight dirty space with 150 other people's germs. Its the only place where germ phobia hits me. Nothing like going on a surf trip and having s sick kid directly behind you coughing, sneezing and being a miserable little shit for a five hour flight and knowing you'll probably end up getting that little bastard's cold.
This is a bad day for the news media. Lets not kid ourselves, Toobin said on CNN. The larger message that a lot of people are going to take from this story is that the news media are a bunch of leftist liars who are dying to get the president, and theyre willing to lie to do it.

#2896691 - 01/10/19 11:41 PM Re: Flu Shot [Re: acnjusa]
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: 1134
How I think about the flu shot:
Let's say the current year's flu shot covers 10 strains for easy math. If you get it, it's the equivalent of getting the flu and building your library of antibodies 10 times, each of a different strain. If you don't get it, and you catch whatever flu strain is going around this year, you just added the antibodies for one strain.

After 5 years, your library of antibodies will cover around 50 different strains vs. 5 strains (if you get the flu once a year).

I'm not assuming you'll be immune from 50 different strains, since they mutate, but at least your immune system could recognize 50 different strains and you won't become as sick and will recover more quickly, if you catch a strain that is related to one of your 50.

#2901430 - 01/20/19 04:19 PM Re: Flu Shot [Re: ghostshaper]
MBfreek Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: crunchy SoCal beachbreak
Originally Posted By: ghostshaper

Let's say the current year's flu shot covers 10 strains for easy math. If you get it, it's the equivalent of getting the flu and building your library of antibodies 10 times, each of a different strain. If you don't get it, and you catch whatever flu strain is going around this year, you just added the antibodies for one strain.

After 5 years, your library of antibodies will cover around 50 different strains vs. 5 strains (if you get the flu once a year).

I'm not assuming you'll be immune from 50 different strains, since they mutate, but at least your immune system could recognize 50 different strains and you won't become as sick and will recover more quickly, if you catch a strain that is related to one of your 50.

Ok, this is not true.
- 2018/19 flu vaccine is trivalent, meaning it uses proteins derived from 3 strains.
- Flu virus is one the fastest mutating viruses known to science, which is the reason that you need a flu shot each fall.
(because it mutates so quickly, antibody 'memory' from getting the flu shot 3 years ago does not confer any significant immunity this year).

Get your flu shot peeps.

#2905796 - 01/30/19 07:22 AM Re: Flu Shot [Re: acnjusa]
acnjusa Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: acnjusa
Originally Posted By: SurfDoc
Get the shot. Every year. End of story line...

i did.
so far so good.

got it.
first week of february like every year.
duration: 4 days.
i think it would have been MUCH worse if no shot.
but; who knows?

#2907309 - 02/01/19 01:46 PM Re: Flu Shot [Re: acnjusa]
StuAzole Offline
Tom Curren status

I don't think people understand what the flu even is. "I got the shot but I still got the flu" happens for sure, but a sore throat and cough isn't the flu, nor is a stomach virus.

#2909174 - 02/05/19 06:00 PM Re: Flu Shot [Re: StuAzole]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
I got a flu shot toda,wish me luck. Only side effect so far is a small penis.

#2909205 - 02/05/19 07:07 PM Re: Flu Shot [Re: silentbutdeadly]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly
I got a flu shot toda,wish me luck. Only side effect so far is a small penis.

roflmao

#2909264 - 02/05/19 11:13 PM Re: Flu Shot [Re: MBfreek]
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: 1134
Originally Posted By: MBfreek
Originally Posted By: ghostshaper

Ok, this is not true.
- 2018/19 flu vaccine is trivalent, meaning it uses proteins derived from 3 strains.
- Flu virus is one the fastest mutating viruses known to science, which is the reason that you need a flu shot each fall.
(because it mutates so quickly, antibody 'memory' from getting the flu shot 3 years ago does not confer any significant immunity this year).

Get your flu shot peeps.

Yeah, 3 or 4 strains in reality.

I didn't study viruses, but it seems like partial recognition of mutated strains is still helpful:

Rather than being a problem, they propose that "[antibodies] classically associated with original antigenic sin might play an important role in protecting the host against secondary encounters with antigenically drifted viral strains."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160818145940.htm

https://www.hhmi.org/news/antibody-recognizes-many-strains-flu-virus

#2918881 - 02/25/19 04:10 PM Re: Flu Shot [Re: ghostshaper]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Loc: San Francisco, CA
"One major shift that's occurred is in the viruses that are circulating. At the start of the flu season, the predominant strain was influenza A H1N1, but now a more severe strain, influenza A H3N2, accounts for nearly half of all the new cases, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"It looks like we are moving from an H1 wave to an H3 wave," said Lynnette Brammer, lead of CDC's domestic influenza surveillance team. "There's still a lot of flu to come."

On the plus side, this year's vaccine is more effective than last year's was. According to Brammer, this vaccine is 62 percent effective against H1N1 and 44 percent effective against H3N2.

For children aged 6 months to 17 years, overall vaccine effectiveness is 61 percent, according to the CDC.

Source.

#2927015 - 03/13/19 09:14 AM Re: Flu Shot [Re: acnjusa]
SurfDoc Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: ex-pat Huntington Beach
Flu kills many young people. People with flu are highly contagious to others.
GET THE FRIGGIN' SHOT EVERY SINGLE YEAR. End of story.
Very little verifiable EVIDENCE against it. Maybe egg allergy. Everything else is anecdotal whining.
The shot will NOT give you the flu. It may make your arm a bit sore or feel a bit feverish for a day or two. You can still catch a cold regardless. A cold is NOT the flu.

GET THE SHOT EVERY YEAR.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32