REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2877938 - 11/20/18 05:41 PM Re: Superbrand Fling? [Re: Hopeless]
Mat6920 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Originally Posted By: Hopeless
Yeah a bulged disc and pinched nerve. It happened before a couple of years ago. It's a standard story - did core strengthening stuff for a year after the last disc issue then promptly forgot about it. Time to get back into it!

Dr Naomi Conlon in Belrose mate - Talented chiropractor if you dont have any. Impressive how she can fix you up. Not everyone is comfortable with having spine and neck manipulated like that but she fixes me up all the time.

#2877994 - 11/20/18 08:20 PM Re: Superbrand Fling? [Re: Hopeless]
Hdip Online   content
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Malibu, CA
Super emailed me. $100 off all boards until Xmas.

#2878104 - 11/21/18 03:29 AM Re: Superbrand Fling? [Re: Mat6920]
Mr J Offline
Nep status

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: Mat6920
Yeah a bulged disc and pinched nerve. It happened before a couple of years ago. It's a standard story - did core strengthening stuff for a year after the last disc issue then promptly forgot about it. Time to get back into it!

Dr Naomi Conlon in Belrose mate - Talented chiropractor if you dont have any. Impressive how she can fix you up. Not everyone is comfortable with having spine and neck manipulated like that but she fixes me up all the time.

Mat, my path to recovery was via chiropractor too. Chiro took a wholistic approach though - prescribed low risk stretches and persuaded me to get deep tissue massage at the same surgery as part of the treatment. I still get both those treatments every 3 weeks as maintenance.

Massage therapist is very good and can spot imbalances building up in me from the activity I do e.g. he could see that the way certain things were tightening up that I was hyper extending my back and I traced this to non optimal technique taking off, so I concentrated on keeping my chest closer to the board during those essential power paddle strokes that we sometimes need to do to get us into waves. Had chiro manipulation and massage today in fact, went for a skate first this morning. Always have to rest the day after the therapy so tomorrow I will do nothing other than walk to the office.

Like all health professionals some are better at helping individuals than others so your recommendation for those in Sydney is good.

#2878492 - 11/21/18 07:54 PM Re: Superbrand Fling? [Re: Mr J]
Mat6920 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Originally Posted By: Mr J

Mat, my path to recovery was via chiropractor too. Chiro took a wholistic approach though - prescribed low risk stretches and persuaded me to get deep tissue massage at the same surgery as part of the treatment. I still get both those treatments every 3 weeks as maintenance.

Massage therapist is very good and can spot imbalances building up in me from the activity I do e.g. he could see that the way certain things were tightening up that I was hyper extending my back and I traced this to non optimal technique taking off, so I concentrated on keeping my chest closer to the board during those essential power paddle strokes that we sometimes need to do to get us into waves. Had chiro manipulation and massage today in fact, went for a skate first this morning. Always have to rest the day after the therapy so tomorrow I will do nothing other than walk to the office.

Like all health professionals some are better at helping individuals than others so your recommendation for those in Sydney is good.

Agreed 100% for deep tissue massage, I actually did both, had a tendonitis / bursitis on the shoulder. Couldn't get rid of it with rest only, went to see a guy, every time it was extreme pain (trigger point) but releasing those tight tissues is great combined with realignment of bone structure. Had another tendonitis on my outter ankle near the bone, turned out I kind of have a flat foot and very tight calf + weak right glute. Same process again and now it s gone.

But the key to long term surfing is 100% regularly doing sport massage, spending time at home a few hours a weak stretching, using tennis balls, foam roller etc... One guy on internet called Chris Mills gives heaps of tutorial / video around this topic https://surfstrengthcoach.com/ Good youtube channel. Currently following his work out program, good stuff.

#2878586 - 11/22/18 02:41 AM Re: Superbrand Fling? [Re: Mat6920]
Mr J Offline
Nep status

Mat, seems like we have arrived at similar ideas regarding the value of regular maintenance. I buy a package of combined chiro/massage sessions, which is more cost effective than just paying for a session individually. Chiro is most effective when kept up even after the symptoms/problems have gone away and the massage therapist can spot imbalances building up before they become a problem with symptoms - will prescribe me specific stretches.

How often do you surf and how often do you do the fitness program and get the two schedules to work together without overdoing it and interfering with each other? Do you do any other sports?

#2878780 - 11/22/18 05:25 PM Re: Superbrand Fling? [Re: Mr J]
Mat6920 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Originally Posted By: Mr J
Mat, seems like we have arrived at similar ideas regarding the value of regular maintenance. I buy a package of combined chiro/massage sessions, which is more cost effective than just paying for a session individually. Chiro is most effective when kept up even after the symptoms/problems have gone away and the massage therapist can spot imbalances building up before they become a problem with symptoms - will prescribe me specific stretches.

How often do you surf and how often do you do the fitness program and get the two schedules to work together without overdoing it and interfering with each other? Do you do any other sports?

I surf in average 4 times a week, every saturday sunday and 2 or 3 times in the morning before work (1hour to 1h30) in the week depending on swell. I live 2 blocks away from the beach so if there s a swell i ll surf anyway. Gym depends on how much I surf but in any case i ll go at least twice a week, I try to stick to 3 times + force myself to do one yoga session per week (very irregularly throughout the year, I dont like it much I just do it cause I know it s good for the body but sometimes no motivation for weeks). Here in Sydney the surf is rarely physically challenging. I mostly listen to my body, if I have the energy I ll hit the gym in parallel. You can go to the gym everyday too, it depends what you do there.

#2880575 - 11/28/18 03:22 AM Re: Superbrand Fling? [Re: Mat6920]
Mr J Offline
Nep status

That's very good Mat what you are able to do. This is all very individual, but it can be interesting to swap notes, so I am now down to just 1 day a week of core strength exercise and a little bit of light dumbbell work at home. I used to do twice a week of core strength training and dumbbell weights, but I am now able to work remotely 1 day and sometimes 2 days a week. I am just a coder and that can in theory be done anywhere I can get an internet connection, but in practice I need to be in the office most of the week. Just come back from 4 days down the coast, coding for two of them, but can surf twice in a day.

So now that I am using more of my stamina budget up with surfing, there is less left for core strength work. That's great that you are just two blocks from the beach. Melbourne is 1 1/4 hrs minimum from the surf although having flexibility with work is helpful. I wouldn't recommend living in Melbourne unless one has flexibility in life. Gotta have other sport living in Melbourne and it has great skateparks - one awesome one just outside the CBD and I get there 2 sometimes 3 a week before work, which is yet another reason why I'm not going to have room for extra core strength weight work. Plus the sort of skating I do - low grade flat ground and freestyle is very good at tuning up the core - manual variations in particular. Old man transition skating not so good. Skating is guaranteed pain and injury though! So I wouldn't recommend it as a means of training, really got to like to make it worth it - which I do.

Core strength exercise I have picked up from here and there - the chiropractic centre, one former colleague who is a sports scientist and surfed a little and a physio who I saw after a skateboard accident lol.

Yes agree some extra maintenance is going to help with our longevity at surfing, plus when the core is stronger getting a clean pop to the feet is easier. Surfing a lot helps too! Things have got easier now I am not entirely confined to weekends. Almost forgot, I do some back stretching almost every day (a couple of very safe stretches prescribed by chiro). Plus some leg and glute stretches after every skate and occasionally after surfing.

#2906382 - 01/30/19 10:06 PM Re: Superbrand Fling? [Re: Hopeless]
Mat6920 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

@hopeless: How did you go with the fling mate ? I just ordered one in 5'8 smile

#2906504 - 01/31/19 03:31 AM Re: Superbrand Fling? [Re: Mat6920]
Mr J Offline
Nep status

Hopeless, I've been waiting for the review too. Not because I am interested in buying one, but because there seems to be very few boards that you really like! So wondering if you hit the jackpot with this one.

#2906767 - 01/31/19 01:09 PM Re: Superbrand Fling? [Re: Havoc4k]
cdes Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Originally Posted By: Havoc4k
[b][/b]
Awesome. I think I'll pull the trigger. Super have a free (thruster) set of their fins with every board purchase at the moment as well which makes the deal even sweeter.

Just wondering... should I just go for a thruster set or a 5 fin set? Does this board go best as a quad or thruster?

it was mediocre as a quad and magic as a thruster with the superbrand large thrusters. google search real watersports fling

trip foreman was spot on. my boar became magic after the thruster fins. am large felt like too much fin and i really couldnt get a quad set to work.

I agree with this assessment. My Fling felt sluggish as a quad but much more fun as a thruster.
As for the Fling itself, its a good option if youre looking for a board with a lot of range. Has enough rocker to surf bigger days but also enough foam to HP grovel when its weaker. Its the board I grab after my manta, when it looks like you could have some sections that are going to be a bit too mushy for an HP board (that happens a lot where I surf). Its worked in some overhead stuff for me as well, when the wave wasn't too critical.

#2907017 - 01/31/19 06:56 PM Re: Superbrand Fling? [Re: Hopeless]
Mat6920 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

I ordered one, but i start to be a bit worried with size, I usually ride hp board at 32.5L (DHD DX1 6'2), Daily driver gary mcneil 5'11 (32.9) and i ordered the fling in eps 5'8, 34.5L ... i m 83kg. How did you size it ? On my end it s to use it from 1 2 foot waves though and my trip to Maldives in case i get flat days in april

#2907067 - 01/31/19 09:33 PM Re: Superbrand Fling? [Re: Mat6920]
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I ordered one, but i start to be a bit worried with size, I usually ride hp board at 32.5L (DHD DX1 6'2), Daily driver gary mcneil 5'11 (32.9) and i ordered the fling in eps 5'8, 34.5L ... i m 83kg. How did you size it ? On my end it s to use it from 1 2 foot waves though and my trip to Maldives in case i get flat days in april

That sounds kinda big. I'm 6'1 and same weight as you and the old stock 5'6 x 20.5" x 2 5/8" 32 liters is perfect for groveling and riding good waves. I'd go down to 5'6 and trim some width and thickness from it.

#2907071 - 01/31/19 09:46 PM Re: Superbrand Fling? [Re: Racer1]
Mat6920 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Originally Posted By: Racer1

That sounds kinda big. I'm 6'1 and same weight as you and the old stock 5'6 x 20.5" x 2 5/8" 32 liters is perfect for groveling and riding good waves. I'd go down to 5'6 and trim some width and thickness from it.

Yeah that s what I thought, but I did not want to go down to a 5'6, i m 6'2 and I just dont like paddling something so short, also they were advising to ride it with more liters than your shortboard. For 100$ I could have got the new eps tech from Super made in OZ, the 5'8 comes at 33L on new dims, i ve been too cheap on this one haha. Also 6 weeks lead-time vs 5 days.

#2907136 - 02/01/19 04:43 AM Re: Superbrand Fling? [Re: Hopeless]
Hopeless Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Hi guys, I never ended up getting one. I found a deal on gumtree instead for something more cruisy when I was coming out of my back injury. This is the exact board I ended up with (2nd hand) . It's got more foam and to be honest is quite cruisy. Grovels great and is fun from waist high and below.

#2913168 - 02/13/19 05:22 PM Re: Superbrand Fling? [Re: Hopeless]
Mat6920 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Well you can add me to the long list of people stocked on this board, I can't believe how it surfs seriously, the thing has crazy speed and so much pop. Best board I ever had for smaller wave BY FAR.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >