REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lets Talk Leashes #2866993
10/28/18 03:10 PM
10/28/18 03:10 PM
Foiltown , Hawai'i
K
Kaser1 Offline OP
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Kaser1  Offline OP
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
K

Foiltown , Hawai'i
I use one 90% of the time, mostly when there are others out but the 10% I surf without is mostly when alone or just a buddy or 2. I used to hate foiling with a leash because I'd always be stepping on it or it'd get wrapped up in the foil in between waves.

Those of you that don't foil that are reading this are probably thinking "what's the big deal, everyone uses leashes". The annoying part of foiling with a normal "surfing" length/thickness leash is the thing is just slapping the surface behind you tugging on your leg. They also get wrapped up in the foil in between waves as you sit on your board.

So I've tried everything, from tucking half into my shorts so it won't drag the surface like the SUP guys do.

I've tried one of those coiled leashes and they'd get all knotted up and be a pain

I've recently found one I don't mind wearing at all. It's a 5'4" I picked up from Lost on Maui, it's one of those super thin comp leashes. Not alot of drag and noticable slap/jerk. Short enough so that doesn't get caught in the foil in between waves as much.

FoilAholic
Re: Lets Talk Leashes [Re: Kaser1] #2867031
10/28/18 04:59 PM
10/28/18 04:59 PM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Online content
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Online Content
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
Standard shortboard leash. I put it up over my shoulder when sitting for waves.

I wear one 100% of the time.

Last edited by Hdip; 10/28/18 05:04 PM.
Re: Lets Talk Leashes [Re: Kaser1] #2867105
10/28/18 10:06 PM
10/28/18 10:06 PM
48U - Green River, WY
S
Steamroller Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Steamroller  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
S

48U - Green River, WY
i went leashless ONEtime only....that damn foil got picked up by the wave turned a 180 and tried to run me the hell over....now i dive to tje bottom and stay down till i feel the leash pull and its safe to come up....if i accidentally hit someone with an unleashed foil i would feel terrible......can you imagine if you hit a kid in Hawaii because no leash....sheeeeooot now THATS where nightmares come from1w

quit yer bitching...just get out there and...RUN WHAT YA BRUNG!!!
Re: Lets Talk Leashes [Re: Steamroller] #2867167
10/29/18 02:37 AM
10/29/18 02:37 AM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Online content
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Online Content
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
Yeah I don't think I would ride any wave around here without a leash. The thing will just ghostride all the way in without you if you fall.

Saw you do a figure skater pirouette 720 pulling out of a wave on the cam today steamroller.

Re: Lets Talk Leashes [Re: Kaser1] #2867246
10/29/18 12:10 PM
10/29/18 12:10 PM
Nar
C
Clamsmasha Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Clamsmasha  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
C

Nar
I use a booger leash. I took the alnkle strap off a broken leash and use it to secure the leash under my knee. Perfect.

Re: Lets Talk Leashes [Re: Kaser1] #2870658
11/04/18 03:41 PM
11/04/18 03:41 PM
Seignosse, France
C
colas Offline
Grom
colas  Offline
Grom
C

Seignosse, France
The waist coiled leash is the best solution.

- with the waist leash, the cord stays close to the surface and does not wander near the foil to get caught in it
- you are not moving the cord around with your feet movements in the water, so the coil cord does not tangle as it does with a knee of ankle leash
- running into / out of the water is easy, no walking on the leash. Really helpful in tricky situations where you already have the foil to manage, even more important with a also paddle
- of course, it does not drag in the water when flying

Only drawback is that you must be careful not to have the leash in your crotch when wiping out: have the leash attached to the side, not in the center of your back.