REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
To Skate or Not to Skate... #2863526
10/22/18 12:36 PM
10/22/18 12:36 PM
Murrica
O
OneWorldEd Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
OneWorldEd  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
O

Murrica
So let's say there's this very early 50-something skater. Broke his fooking shoulder on the home quarterpipe on Friday. Last run of the day with a best friend and the young sons. Frontside turn, a simple checkturn halfway down and over the handlebars. Crack!!

It's not a terrible break, but it's pretty healthy. Broke the blade horizontally all the way to the socket. It's a 1mm gap across. At 6mm is when they recommend surgery. So I'm in a sling for six weeks or so. But the real question now - do I hang up the transition skating - and/or skating altogether? Other 'go to's' are surfing and mountain biking. But man, I was loving Charleston's skatepark and skating w/my son. I have a buddy with a long Carver that he rides at the park with park wheels. I rode that thing a couple of months ago, and it frankly seems a hell of a lot of fun, and safer than my standard twin tip because you're mostly just flow turning. (I have a shorter Carver Swallowtail too and ride it a good bit, but I had graduated back to a regular board in the park and on the ramp).

I'm self-employed (thank God I can still type) and my disability doesn't even kick in for three months if I need it. So I could be hosing the family - and myself - pretty good with a really bad future wipeout. Plus, as most of you know, you don't heal so fast when you get older, and frankly, I'd imagine my bone density ain't what it used to be. And I'm already a pretty dang careful skater.

Skating has taken a toll in fractures on my posse here in Chucktown since that dang park opened. Some could say I got off pretty damn lucky this time. In fact, I say that myself. My wife seems ok with me maybe going back to a Carver after I heal and rehab, and taking it easier, but at what point do you just hang it up and concentrate on other stuff that has a lower chance of leaving you unable to pay the bills - or worse?

Informed - and ill-informed - opinions welcome.

To Skate or Not To Skate...
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 10/22/18 12:27 PM
Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2863543
10/22/18 01:28 PM
10/22/18 01:28 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Online content
Duke status
GromsDad  Online Content
Duke status
G

West of the Atlantic. East of...
Falling on water is much more forgiving. I'd stick to cruising flat ground and leave the parks for the kids.

I ended my skating over a fall that wasn't even a fall. I was probably 45 at the time. Dropped into half pipe and got my weight on my back foot. I didn't even fall. From just rescuing my balance and I guess tensing up while off balance I threw my back out and was in agony for about two weeks and discomfort for another few weeks. That's when I hung it up.

I used to go to the skate park a ton with my son and I got to witness a lot of middle age skaters get serious injuries. The most recent was a guy in his late 40s who I saw take a very minor fall on flat land. When he broke his fall he ruptured his bicep tendon. Guy was in agony and his entire bicep mussel was in a wad in all the wrong place. Pretty ugly injury and one that required surgery and a lengthy recover.

We brake easier and take longer to heal when we get this age.

What's the difference between conservatives and liberals?

Conservatives get angry when you lie to them. Liberals get angry when you tell
them the truth.
Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2863550
10/22/18 01:57 PM
10/22/18 01:57 PM
Los Angeles~California!
R
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status
RWVBWL  Offline
Nep status
R

Los Angeles~California!
Howdy OneWorldEd!
Good question, as I too am ponderin' this also. Used to run the old Dog~Town shop, ya know where Zephyr + The Z~Boyz be from, for many, many years. As I approach 60, fer old f**ks sake, I too think I need to stay off the sk8, and I even don't sk8 like Alva, Stacy, Jay~boy, or other gnarly Venice/SM dudes. This past late May/early June, felt like part of the bottom of my rear foot, my power foots bottom heal, came off, slid a few 1/64"s while sk8in'. F**kin' still sore, so no surfin' still. At least the L.A. sharkz went nuts this summer, breachin' daily out past the line~up, so I got my jollies tryin' to photograph 'em. My thoughts? Hang it up, or just ride a soft~wheeled cruiser sometimes to feel that sk8 flow...
RW

L.A.

Last edited by RWVBWL; 10/22/18 02:09 PM.
Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2863553
10/22/18 02:18 PM
10/22/18 02:18 PM
Room 429
C
c_olden Offline
Miki Dora status
c_olden  Offline
Miki Dora status
C

Room 429
Quit skating that small sh_t. Every time Ive been injured skating,
its been in small terrain. Too little time to react and bail.
Skate big pools/bowls/pipes.

"I'm way too baked to drive to the Devil's house."
Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: GromsDad] #2863560
10/22/18 02:28 PM
10/22/18 02:28 PM
Murrica
O
OneWorldEd Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
OneWorldEd  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
O

Murrica
Originally Posted By: GromsDad
Falling on water is much more forgiving. I'd stick to cruising flat ground and leave the parks for the kids.

I ended my skating over a fall that wasn't even a fall. I was probably 45 at the time. Dropped into half pipe and got my weight on my back foot. I didn't even fall. From just rescuing my balance and I guess tensing up while off balance I threw my back out and was in agony for about two weeks and discomfort for another few weeks. That's when I hung it up.

I used to go to the skate park a ton with my son and I got to witness a lot of middle age skaters get serious injuries. The most recent was a guy in his late 40s who I saw take a very minor fall on flat land. When he broke his fall he ruptured his bicep tendon. Guy was in agony and his entire bicep mussel was in a wad in all the wrong place. Pretty ugly injury and one that required surgery and a lengthy recover.

We brake easier and take longer to heal when we get this age.

I sure as heck don't agree with everything you write, but there is much truth in this post.

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: c_olden] #2863579
10/22/18 02:57 PM
10/22/18 02:57 PM
valley purgatory
S
santacruzin Offline
Miki Dora status
santacruzin  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

valley purgatory
Originally Posted By: c_olden
agree 100%

I like the gloves. They are needed in the aquatic deeds of perversion that he partakes in.
Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2863582
10/22/18 03:01 PM
10/22/18 03:01 PM
valley purgatory
S
santacruzin Offline
Miki Dora status
santacruzin  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

valley purgatory
other things that help me are stretching a lot, warming up before I skate and using my pads when I fall.

I see a lot of people wearing pads and not using them at all when they fall! sort of defeats the whole purpose!

I like the gloves. They are needed in the aquatic deeds of perversion that he partakes in.
Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2863586
10/22/18 03:09 PM
10/22/18 03:09 PM
Murrica
O
OneWorldEd Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
OneWorldEd  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
O

Murrica
Yeah - I reckon if I go back I'm gonna work hard on the proper falls. I was padded like a hockey player. Didn't help.

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: c_olden] #2863588
10/22/18 03:13 PM
10/22/18 03:13 PM
Rbeach
R
rowjimmytour Offline
Miki Dora status
rowjimmytour  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Rbeach
Originally Posted By: c_olden

This +1 I got rid of my backyard 1/4pipe and put a 8' piece of coping curbside instead for backyard grinding. Pad up 100% and trade carver in for 8.75" -10" deck, Indyz 169, and 56mm-60mm wheels cheers

There's a time to shit and a time for God
The last shit I took was pretty fooking' odd!
Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2863613
10/22/18 04:07 PM
10/22/18 04:07 PM
S
sussle Offline
Michael Peterson status
sussle  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

58 y/o skater here, with a skate park a few blocks away from my house...that i haven't been to in 3-4 years and may never go again, with no regrets. ride a Carver set-up on a 34" Sector 9 board all over the neighborhood, but it's too loose for a park and i just do not feel any compulsion to adjust it to make it park-friendly.

i look at it like this: i would rather surf than do anything, i'm healthy enough to still short-board, and it's not worth risking my ability to do so in a skate park anymore. if i got hurt in a park, i would be so pissed at myself for f*cking up my otherwise sweet life with some kind of foreseeable orthopedic disaster - likely one that would be costly and difficult to come back from at this age. just my 2 cents. ymmv.

ideologically vacant
Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2863620
10/22/18 04:20 PM
10/22/18 04:20 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
A while back, I am taking a nephew on a tour of some sk8 fixtures in SF.

Decide to roll around a bit myself, take it easy is the plan, remember the good old days of scabs, banged up hips, raw fingertips, and moments of decent coordination.

After some warm-up, feeling like I've not lost too much, decide to carve a little higher on in the deep end of the the pool, and end up having to run it out because with no pads, I can't knee-slide to safety.

Yeah, that foot slam woke me up, and I sit out the rest of the time wondering who I was fooling. Next day, foot and the knee (!) were a little sore from the jolt.

Sigh.

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: santacruzin] #2863628
10/22/18 04:33 PM
10/22/18 04:33 PM
CA
R
rice Offline
Duke status
rice  Offline
Duke status
R

CA
If you skate, you're going to get hurt again. If you're okay with that, than you're good.

Also, pretty much everyone I know mountain bikes a ton and every one of them has gotten pretty injured at least once.

My wife is an ER nurse and says that she sees way more mtb than skate injuries.

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: rice] #2863637
10/22/18 04:45 PM
10/22/18 04:45 PM
valley purgatory
S
santacruzin Offline
Miki Dora status
santacruzin  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

valley purgatory
Originally Posted By: rice
If you skate and want to get better, you're going to get hurt again. If you're okay with that, than you're good.

fixed smile

I can take it easy and not fall an entire session , but if I try and learn anything (even simple shit) its time to hop on the pain train!

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: santacruzin] #2863755
10/22/18 07:13 PM
10/22/18 07:13 PM
Tower 13
S
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status
silentbutdeadly  Offline
Duke status
S

Tower 13
I seperated my shoulder last year skating and was out of the water for 7 months. I still skate although I'm having a rough time getting back up to speed at 41. I can't quit completely, it's just too damn fun. I am just more cautious now. If you're willing to Mountain bike I wouldn't be that concerned. Lot's off great opportunity there to get hurt.

"The size / dimensions don't matter. What does matter is that it's flammable. Because you should set it on fire and get a real surfboard" Witchipoo
Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2863788
10/22/18 07:39 PM
10/22/18 07:39 PM
Urbana, Illinois
H
hal9000 Offline
Tom Curren status
hal9000  Offline
Tom Curren status
H

Urbana, Illinois
Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly
I seperated my shoulder last year skating and was out of the water for 7 months. I still skate although I'm having a rough time getting back up to speed at 41. I can't quit completely, it's just too damn fun. I am just more cautious now. If you're willing to Mountain bike I wouldn't be that concerned. Lot's off great opportunity there to get hurt.

This.

I'd keep at it, just stay within limits and skate small stuff.

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: hal9000] #2863810
10/22/18 07:58 PM
10/22/18 07:58 PM
LBNY
S
subway Online content
Phil Edwards status
subway  Online Content
Phil Edwards status
S

LBNY
ha, timely topic.

Doesn't have to be a skateboard. a week ago last Friday, we had a quick shot of swell from Michael. first wave, my back foot slipped of the traction pad and all my weight (and the falling lip) came down on my front leg as i tried to maintain/correct my stance, knee bent sideways/inwards. Much ouch.

2 doc visits and an MRI later, I've got a sprained and partially torn MCL, luckily no surgery, but 4 weeks of PT ahead. Not to mention instructions NOT to do my normal train-walk-subway-walk commute. So for the next month I'll be spending 90 minutes each way in the car, plus rehab and work.

I've already prepped my manager for the fact that i will not be driving into midtown 5 days a week. Just aint happening.

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2863814
10/22/18 08:09 PM
10/22/18 08:09 PM
Beach
D
Drumsurf Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Drumsurf  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
D

Beach
I skate to get coffee or check the surf. Nothing more for me these days. Broken wing would mean no drums, no soccer, no surfing. Ain't worth it.

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2863820
10/22/18 08:21 PM
10/22/18 08:21 PM
LA
B
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status
bird.  Offline
Phil Edwards status
B

LA
I'm younger than most of the guys in this post, but my POV is if you love skating you should keep skating. For me, surfing was WAY more important to me, so I don't skate any more.

With the exception of snowboarding, my non-surf activities are lower on the injury risk spectrum.

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2863848
10/22/18 09:03 PM
10/22/18 09:03 PM
San Luis Obispo
R
RemyXO Offline
Michael Peterson status
RemyXO  Offline
Michael Peterson status
R

San Luis Obispo
Great thread and advice, as I have been skating more the past couple years and realizing how much I missed it. I took a break from skating between ages 26-ish to 40, but now that my kids are getting older and more into it (just cruising around the 'hood, park will be the next step) I need to stop riding their small skinny boards and get one of my own. Although the wife is a little suspect about my decision.

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: RemyXO] #2863865
10/22/18 10:02 PM
10/22/18 10:02 PM
Rbeach
R
rowjimmytour Offline
Miki Dora status
rowjimmytour  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Rbeach
Originally Posted By: RemyXO
Great thread and advice, as I have been skating more the past couple years and realizing how much I missed it. I took a break from skating between ages 26-ish to 40, but now that my kids are getting older and more into it (just cruising around the 'hood, park will be the next step) I need to stop riding their small skinny boards and get one of my own. Although the wife is a little suspect about my decision.

Having the right tool for the job...You would not charge pipe with your grovel board right? You have twogreat parks SLO and Los Osos very nice bowl wave2

There's a time to shit and a time for God
The last shit I took was pretty fooking' odd!
Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2863982
10/23/18 02:08 AM
10/23/18 02:08 AM
NE
B
bigtuna Offline
Billy Hamilton status
bigtuna  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
B

NE
Havent read the other responses yet, but its a subject that hits close to home for me as a lot of my recent thought has been directed towards this.

Im a life long extreme sports nut. BMX, snowboarding and surfing mostly. Man, the whole going easy thing doesnt work. I tore my meniscus on a got damn pull-up (pop-wheelie) bar spin off of a curb a year ago, knees been clicky and funky ever since. Then two months ago I popped up on a steep wave and somehow tweaked it on a normal pop up to where it was locked up and took 25 minutes rolling around fiddling with it on the beach before I could walk as the piece of meniscus popped back into place. I havent been able to do any form of cardiovascular exercise in two months, it has locked up three times rendering me rolling around indefinitely (four hours the latest time) and quite frankly Im effing over it.

Being able to walk kicks a$s, and that would never have become my new motto had I not had it nearly taken away from me. But dude, being able to walk really, REALLY - kicks as$.

So much so that Ive decided to hang up the BMX, which I had really passionately gotten back into upon healing my back pain. Brought the snowboard back home to collect dust (everyone out here is a flake any ways) and Im going to sell my shortbord that I was getting back into surfing with, along with all my good fins that I didnt sell the first round).

The lucky thing for me is that this isnt my first time losing a passion. When BMX got taken from me due to back pain at about 20 I was devastated... I was truly obsessed, and it left a big void that I tried to fill with other types of riding but wasnt able to until I fully committed to a life dedicated to surfing. And as much as that did work, its an entirely different beast in so many ways, both positive and negative. The point is I went about 7 years not being able to do something that was essentially my identity, granted only by way of substituting another addiction in its place. So Ive felt that hurt before... just like getting your heart broken, it gets easier each time as you learn a bit more about damage control.

27 years old was the first time I was able to exist contently without an extreme sport in my life - the two months I had of crippling back pain and sciatica was the first time that I had ever been taken out of my sport and not gone crazy with partying or whatever to compensate. I was just like happy enough with life and didnt need an outlet for once, it was kind of a relief. And when I began healing my back and was able to surf again I realized I had lost the drive, and I didnt give a sh!t what the ocean looked like for once in about a decade and oh man, you guys, if you havent experienced this... imagine being cut free from a giant ball and chain. All of a sudden I could do whatever i wanted at any time of the day, spend time at the beach with girls instead of having to be out there if its surfable, and consider living anywhere not limited to ocean access, etc. Its just a giant weight lifted off of your shoulders that you dont even realize is there until its gone.

These past two months of not being able to do much of anything have actually been kind of great. Ive hit up and hung out with so many friends that time would never have allowed to before, put more of an effort into dating and caring about my appearance which are things I value, and shifted my physical focus to specific calisthenics which I enjoy hitting PRs and such, competing with the homies at work and trying to get in better shape. Its been an awesome couple of months and as much as Ive always been drawn to extreme sports, for once in life Im completely content hanging it up for other interests.

My coworker is a professional BMX rider and hes injured at the moment too - tried to run out of a failed smith grind in a deep bowl and on his third step, as he hit the transition, one shin bone broke and both of them dislocated and went straight to the flood besides his heel. Hes 22 and a professional athlete. Running out of a smith grind in a bowl (apparently youre supposed to slide) and mine was on a cot damn pull up barspin, followed by a normal pop up. My take on all of this sh!t is really straightforward - being able to walk kicks as$, and thats all there is to it.

To him, its the same kind of question I used to ask myself. But isnt life just boring then? Or what else is there? Kind of thing. When he was in the ER everyone around him kept berating the doctor with how long until he can ride? Whats the date? Whats the date he will be back? Etc. For most athletes this is the train of thought. It was for me too, but as much as I want to claim diehard status and send till I die, there is definitely a point of diminishing return. I think it takes a more mature soul to know when to fold and be aware of the many other opportunities presented to us in life which we could be pursuing that would enhance our life experience even more than the seemingly epitome of health, fun, creativeness and positivity that is extreme sports.

Ive adopted a more straightforward outlook on it. Thats the thing that almost made me not be able to walk? - Im not going to do that thing any more. Its served its purpose and had its time.

That said, of course you could always die in a car accident, or just walking, etc, so if you want to look at it like that you could completely disregard my entire post and full send for the rest of your life without too much regard for your body. It all depends on your philosophy on life I guess, and where youre at. But Ive spent a lot of time over the past couple months searching recovery in various extreme sports websites and hearing story after story of lives almost or completely changed on seemingly innocuous obstacles or maneuvers, Ive learned from others mistakes rather than waiting to make my own. I think its best to do that in life whenever possible. Two ears one mouth... tuna OUT shaka

Originally Posted By: DVR433
Its pretty much like isis in the lineup. We have to protect the homeland

"the worst..
I have a full blown gym routine now
talk about f'in lame." - WarrenC
Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2864012
10/23/18 02:50 AM
10/23/18 02:50 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
don't tell me that Rice. I'm trying to pretend it's not that dangerous and that my buddy breaking his collar bone a couple weeks ago was just a fluke.

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: santacruzin] #2864021
10/23/18 03:01 AM
10/23/18 03:01 AM
Tower 13
S
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status
silentbutdeadly  Offline
Duke status
S

Tower 13
Originally Posted By: santacruzin
Originally Posted By: rice
If you skate and want to get better, you're going to get hurt again. If you're okay with that, than you're good.

fixed smile

I can take it easy and not fall an entire session , but if I try and learn anything (even simple shit) its time to hop on the pain train!

My shoulder injury was on a rock and roll, something I have done a million times. Would never think of getting hurt doing one. Shit happens.

"The size / dimensions don't matter. What does matter is that it's flammable. Because you should set it on fire and get a real surfboard" Witchipoo
Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2864036
10/23/18 03:35 AM
10/23/18 03:35 AM
valley purgatory
S
santacruzin Offline
Miki Dora status
santacruzin  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

valley purgatory
STOP RUINING MY FANTASY LAND

Edit: should also add I just busted my ass rolling off a CURB into the skatepark....

I dont want to quit skating but this thread scares the shit out of me

Last edited by santacruzin; 10/23/18 03:43 AM.

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2864054
10/23/18 04:32 AM
10/23/18 04:32 AM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Offline
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
Long story short. Broke my collarbone at the end of the season snowboarding in Utah one year, near the end of summer I broke my wrist for the multipleth time while wearing wrist guards in a skate park. Snowboarding season started a week after I got out of cast and doctor gave me the ok to go back to normal activity. Broke my same wrist for the fourth time first time back snowboarding. Sold my snowboard the next day.

Took it easy skating. Started only riding parks and wearing knee pads so I could knee slide out of stuff. That worked for awhile. Broke a different bone in my wrist skating a ten foot deep bowl. Pretty much stopped skating. No tricks no parks. Only for transport or to walk dog.

Walking dog one night I fell and heard the bone snap. (Yes Ive broken my arm enough to know what a bone snapping sounds like) looked down and saw white. First time Id ever broken a bone out of the skin. Turns out both bones broke out of the skin and I was admitted for surgery two hours later.

No more skating after that. Recovery went from six weeks and back to normal on my first break to eight weeks minimum with occupational therapy for weeks after that. I still have my board. I just dont ride it. They even put a skate plaza at the park a block away. I take my kids to he playground at most days. I walk around while they ride a bike or scooter. Theyre still to young to really get into the skatepark anyway.

I took up kite surfing. Gave it up. Surfing waves is the most fun to me and water is softer than concrete or snow.

My advice to you. Buy a foil. Its so fun and makes flat days amazing. You get the buzz of learning something new all over again. Then when its head high and off shore you ride a standard board. Best of both worlds.

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2864058
10/23/18 04:47 AM
10/23/18 04:47 AM
B
bigsurfer67 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
bigsurfer67  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
B

Had a hairline break of the arm and Navicular Wrist break in one skateboarding fall when in my late teens skatboarding down a dark driveway at night (you do some stupid stuff when young lol)...hit the unseen crack in the concrete and went flying. No helmets back then...luckily just missed bouncing my head off the concrete very hard. Got into surfing more after this and never looked back...prefer falling in water and not getting hurt. Skateboarding is just too hard on the body when you fall! I'll keep surfing Thank You!

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: santacruzin] #2864108
10/23/18 12:14 PM
10/23/18 12:14 PM
Murrica
O
OneWorldEd Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
OneWorldEd  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
O

Murrica
Originally Posted By: santacruzin
STOP RUINING MY FANTASY LAND

Edit: should also add I just busted my ass rolling off a CURB into the skatepark....

I dont want to quit skating but this thread scares the shit out of me

I think I'm gonna go back to the Carver and not worry too much about skating transitions anymore. I like surfing too much and our mountain bike trails here in Charleston are easy, fast and fun and there's plenty of reasonably flat concrete to ride a Carver on - even at our skatepark. I just ain't 21 anymore. More important to me to be surfing when I'm 75 than to have blown out a joint on a bowl at 50 and be hobbled for years - or more. Right now because I'm in this sling, I'm missing an epic mountain bike trip with my son to Asheville in two weeks. And that sucks. Oh, and I'll be paying 50% of my ER visit, which included a CT scan - that's a bit of a deterrent as well.

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2864112
10/23/18 12:21 PM
10/23/18 12:21 PM
W
WarrenC Offline
Michael Peterson status
WarrenC  Offline
Michael Peterson status
W

I still cruise on my longboard skate.. but I can't risk the injuries from bowls/pools or half pipes
soon to be 49
I have a great skate park 5 mins from my apt but I mostly watch these days
but I do know a few guys my age and older still ripping the bowls.. I'll leave it to them

erbb design forum: where grown men come to argue.
Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2864134
10/23/18 01:44 PM
10/23/18 01:44 PM
E
Emmohl80 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Emmohl80  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
E

I've broken more bones surfing then skating. Maybe just go find a curb and do some slappies?
I'll always keep a skate around. It just feels good to go for a push sometimes.

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2864571
10/24/18 12:24 AM
10/24/18 12:24 AM
S
sdsurfrat Offline
Michael Peterson status
sdsurfrat  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

You didn't quit skateboarding because you got old,

You got old because you quit skateboarding.

Jay Adams

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2864594
10/24/18 01:08 AM
10/24/18 01:08 AM
G
Groundswell Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Groundswell  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
G

Good god, Dixie. You KNEW this was going to happen.

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2864630
10/24/18 02:42 AM
10/24/18 02:42 AM
Location Location
Y
youcantbeserious Offline
Michael Peterson status
youcantbeserious  Offline
Michael Peterson status
Y

Location Location
I'm over it. I love it and was pretty decent - I've built mini ramps at almost every house I've ever lived in, skated street a ton, parks, everything. Now I'm 45 and too slow, too many injuries, and I don't know how not to push it too far. It kills me not to skate, but I just invested in enough ocean toys so I can always be in the water. Way less injuries. Still makes me sad though. My brother designs everything for Primitive Skateboards and I have access to whatever I want or need, but I can't do it. Too many surf sessions missed.

I've been banned from better websites than this one.
Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: youcantbeserious] #2864744
10/24/18 01:24 PM
10/24/18 01:24 PM
Murrica
O
OneWorldEd Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
OneWorldEd  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
O

Murrica
Originally Posted By: youcantbeserious
I'm over it. I love it and was pretty decent - I've built mini ramps at almost every house I've ever lived in, skated street a ton, parks, everything. Now I'm 45 and too slow, too many injuries, and I don't know how not to push it too far. It kills me not to skate, but I just invested in enough ocean toys so I can always be in the water. Way less injuries. Still makes me sad though. My brother designs everything for Primitive Skateboards and I have access to whatever I want or need, but I can't do it. Too many surf sessions missed.

Coming around to your way of thinking. And yes Groundswell - you are correct.
Being in this sling SUCKS. But surgery would have been even worse.

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2864871
10/24/18 05:04 PM
10/24/18 05:04 PM
R
Random Guy Offline
Duke status
Random Guy  Offline
Duke status
R

How about just cruising around on a carver? Its fun. Nothing more. Nothing less.
At least for me, but I was never a real skater, I dabbled and got hurt
cowabunga
rg

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2864879
10/24/18 05:09 PM
10/24/18 05:09 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
I fell on my carver skating on the sidewalk and I did such an acrobatic roll.

It was an accident but it was still a thing of beauty.

incompetence is preferable to malice.
Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2865054
10/24/18 07:37 PM
10/24/18 07:37 PM
san diego, CA
O
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status
obslop  Offline
Phil Edwards status
O

san diego, CA
old man status + skate park = carnage

but . . . all these posts make we want to go back to the park by my house for a casual run or two.

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd] #2865060
10/24/18 07:45 PM
10/24/18 07:45 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
This would be fine for old guys I think.

This one looks better

https://vimeo.com/218076637

incompetence is preferable to malice.
Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: Autoprax] #2865169
10/24/18 11:32 PM
10/24/18 11:32 PM
P
PhatCruiser Offline
Michael Peterson status
PhatCruiser  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

From my 55th b-day last year. Most of the people in this photo are over 50. A two over 60.

Last edited by PhatCruiser; 10/24/18 11:33 PM.

"Keep it together, keep it together, keep it together"
Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: PhatCruiser] #2865518
10/25/18 04:35 PM
10/25/18 04:35 PM
Leucadia
B
Belchfire1 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Belchfire1  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
B

Leucadia
PhatCruiser, looks like Alex Rd in Oside. I brought my kids there last weekend for the 1st time. There were some older dudes shredding that bowl, for sure. I consider myself a beginner with 20 yrs experience. Much too wussy for any real skating, although that bowl looks pretty tempting.

Belch

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: sdsurfrat] #2865614
10/25/18 07:50 PM
10/25/18 07:50 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: sdsurfrat

Jay Adams

A fine quote for certain, but I figure I'm getting old because of the passage of time more than anything else.

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: Autoprax] #2865615
10/25/18 07:53 PM
10/25/18 07:53 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: Autoprax
This would be fine for old guys I think.

This one looks better

https://vimeo.com/218076637

Yeah, I was doing stuff like this in the shallow end of the pool with the nephew (per above story) and after a while thought I could return to some youthful glory.

But no.

Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: Mr Doof] #2865667
10/25/18 09:25 PM
10/25/18 09:25 PM
hulling, mostly...
S
SurfFuerte Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfFuerte  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

hulling, mostly...
Originally Posted By: Mr Doof
Originally Posted By: sdsurfrat

Jay Adams

A fine quote for certain, but I figure I'm getting old because of the passage of time more than anything else.

you are quite correct sir, but this clearly obvious fact seems to escape so many.

denial. it's an even uglier biotch than nostaligia.... shrug

roscoe jones
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32