REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2863526 - 10/22/18 08:36 AM To Skate or Not to Skate...
OneWorldEd Offline

Michael Peterson status

Loc: Murrica
So let's say there's this very early 50-something skater. Broke his fooking shoulder on the home quarterpipe on Friday. Last run of the day with a best friend and the young sons. Frontside turn, a simple checkturn halfway down and over the handlebars. Crack!!

It's not a terrible break, but it's pretty healthy. Broke the blade horizontally all the way to the socket. It's a 1mm gap across. At 6mm is when they recommend surgery. So I'm in a sling for six weeks or so. But the real question now - do I hang up the transition skating - and/or skating altogether? Other 'go to's' are surfing and mountain biking. But man, I was loving Charleston's skatepark and skating w/my son. I have a buddy with a long Carver that he rides at the park with park wheels. I rode that thing a couple of months ago, and it frankly seems a hell of a lot of fun, and safer than my standard twin tip because you're mostly just flow turning. (I have a shorter Carver Swallowtail too and ride it a good bit, but I had graduated back to a regular board in the park and on the ramp).

I'm self-employed (thank God I can still type) and my disability doesn't even kick in for three months if I need it. So I could be hosing the family - and myself - pretty good with a really bad future wipeout. Plus, as most of you know, you don't heal so fast when you get older, and frankly, I'd imagine my bone density ain't what it used to be. And I'm already a pretty dang careful skater.

Skating has taken a toll in fractures on my posse here in Chucktown since that dang park opened. Some could say I got off pretty damn lucky this time. In fact, I say that myself. My wife seems ok with me maybe going back to a Carver after I heal and rehab, and taking it easier, but at what point do you just hang it up and concentrate on other stuff that has a lower chance of leaving you unable to pay the bills - or worse?

Informed - and ill-informed - opinions welcome.
To Skate or Not To Skate...
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 10/22/18 08:27 AM
View the results of this poll.

#2863543 - 10/22/18 09:28 AM Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd]
GromsDad Offline
Duke status

Loc: West of the Atlantic. East of...
Falling on water is much more forgiving. I'd stick to cruising flat ground and leave the parks for the kids.

I ended my skating over a fall that wasn't even a fall. I was probably 45 at the time. Dropped into half pipe and got my weight on my back foot. I didn't even fall. From just rescuing my balance and I guess tensing up while off balance I threw my back out and was in agony for about two weeks and discomfort for another few weeks. That's when I hung it up.

I used to go to the skate park a ton with my son and I got to witness a lot of middle age skaters get serious injuries. The most recent was a guy in his late 40s who I saw take a very minor fall on flat land. When he broke his fall he ruptured his bicep tendon. Guy was in agony and his entire bicep mussel was in a wad in all the wrong place. Pretty ugly injury and one that required surgery and a lengthy recover.

We brake easier and take longer to heal when we get this age.
This is a bad day for the news media. Lets not kid ourselves, Toobin said on CNN. The larger message that a lot of people are going to take from this story is that the news media are a bunch of leftist liars who are dying to get the president, and theyre willing to lie to do it.

#2863550 - 10/22/18 09:57 AM Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd]
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status

Howdy OneWorldEd!
Good question, as I too am ponderin' this also. Used to run the old Dog~Town shop, ya know where Zephyr + The Z~Boyz be from, for many, many years. As I approach 60, fer old f**ks sake, I too think I need to stay off the sk8, and I even don't sk8 like Alva, Stacy, Jay~boy, or other gnarly Venice/SM dudes. This past late May/early June, felt like part of the bottom of my rear foot, my power foots bottom heal, came off, slid a few 1/64"s while sk8in'. F**kin' still sore, so no surfin' still. At least the L.A. sharkz went nuts this summer, breachin' daily out past the line~up, so I got my jollies tryin' to photograph 'em. My thoughts? Hang it up, or just ride a soft~wheeled cruiser sometimes to feel that sk8 flow...
RW

L.A.

Edited by RWVBWL (10/22/18 10:09 AM)

#2863553 - 10/22/18 10:18 AM Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd]
c_olden Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Room 429
Quit skating that small sh_t. Every time Ive been injured skating,
its been in small terrain. Too little time to react and bail.
Skate big pools/bowls/pipes.

#2863560 - 10/22/18 10:28 AM Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: GromsDad]
OneWorldEd Offline

Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: GromsDad
Falling on water is much more forgiving. I'd stick to cruising flat ground and leave the parks for the kids.

I ended my skating over a fall that wasn't even a fall. I was probably 45 at the time. Dropped into half pipe and got my weight on my back foot. I didn't even fall. From just rescuing my balance and I guess tensing up while off balance I threw my back out and was in agony for about two weeks and discomfort for another few weeks. That's when I hung it up.

I used to go to the skate park a ton with my son and I got to witness a lot of middle age skaters get serious injuries. The most recent was a guy in his late 40s who I saw take a very minor fall on flat land. When he broke his fall he ruptured his bicep tendon. Guy was in agony and his entire bicep mussel was in a wad in all the wrong place. Pretty ugly injury and one that required surgery and a lengthy recover.

We brake easier and take longer to heal when we get this age.

I sure as heck don't agree with everything you write, but there is much truth in this post.

#2863579 - 10/22/18 10:57 AM Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: c_olden]
santacruzin Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: valley purgatory
Originally Posted By: c_olden
agree 100%

#2863582 - 10/22/18 11:01 AM Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd]
santacruzin Offline
Miki Dora status

other things that help me are stretching a lot, warming up before I skate and using my pads when I fall.

I see a lot of people wearing pads and not using them at all when they fall! sort of defeats the whole purpose!

#2863586 - 10/22/18 11:09 AM Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd]
OneWorldEd Offline

Michael Peterson status

Yeah - I reckon if I go back I'm gonna work hard on the proper falls. I was padded like a hockey player. Didn't help.

#2863588 - 10/22/18 11:13 AM Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: c_olden]
rowjimmytour Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Rbeach
Originally Posted By: c_olden

This +1 I got rid of my backyard 1/4pipe and put a 8' piece of coping curbside instead for backyard grinding. Pad up 100% and trade carver in for 8.75" -10" deck, Indyz 169, and 56mm-60mm wheels cheers

#2863613 - 10/22/18 12:07 PM Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd]
sussle Offline
Michael Peterson status

58 y/o skater here, with a skate park a few blocks away from my house...that i haven't been to in 3-4 years and may never go again, with no regrets. ride a Carver set-up on a 34" Sector 9 board all over the neighborhood, but it's too loose for a park and i just do not feel any compulsion to adjust it to make it park-friendly.

i look at it like this: i would rather surf than do anything, i'm healthy enough to still short-board, and it's not worth risking my ability to do so in a skate park anymore. if i got hurt in a park, i would be so pissed at myself for f*cking up my otherwise sweet life with some kind of foreseeable orthopedic disaster - likely one that would be costly and difficult to come back from at this age. just my 2 cents. ymmv.

#2863620 - 10/22/18 12:20 PM Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: OneWorldEd]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Loc: San Francisco, CA
A while back, I am taking a nephew on a tour of some sk8 fixtures in SF.

Decide to roll around a bit myself, take it easy is the plan, remember the good old days of scabs, banged up hips, raw fingertips, and moments of decent coordination.

After some warm-up, feeling like I've not lost too much, decide to carve a little higher on in the deep end of the the pool, and end up having to run it out because with no pads, I can't knee-slide to safety.

Yeah, that foot slam woke me up, and I sit out the rest of the time wondering who I was fooling. Next day, foot and the knee (!) were a little sore from the jolt.

Sigh.

#2863628 - 10/22/18 12:33 PM Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: santacruzin]
rice Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
If you skate, you're going to get hurt again. If you're okay with that, than you're good.

Also, pretty much everyone I know mountain bikes a ton and every one of them has gotten pretty injured at least once.

My wife is an ER nurse and says that she sees way more mtb than skate injuries.

#2863637 - 10/22/18 12:45 PM Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: rice]
santacruzin Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: rice
If you skate and want to get better, you're going to get hurt again. If you're okay with that, than you're good.

fixed smile

I can take it easy and not fall an entire session , but if I try and learn anything (even simple shit) its time to hop on the pain train!

#2863755 - 10/22/18 03:13 PM Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: santacruzin]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
I seperated my shoulder last year skating and was out of the water for 7 months. I still skate although I'm having a rough time getting back up to speed at 41. I can't quit completely, it's just too damn fun. I am just more cautious now. If you're willing to Mountain bike I wouldn't be that concerned. Lot's off great opportunity there to get hurt.

#2863788 - 10/22/18 03:39 PM Re: To Skate or Not to Skate... [Re: silentbutdeadly]
hal9000 Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: Urbana, Illinois
Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly
I seperated my shoulder last year skating and was out of the water for 7 months. I still skate although I'm having a rough time getting back up to speed at 41. I can't quit completely, it's just too damn fun. I am just more cautious now. If you're willing to Mountain bike I wouldn't be that concerned. Lot's off great opportunity there to get hurt.

This.

I'd keep at it, just stay within limits and skate small stuff.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32