REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: the janitor] #2863744
10/22/18 06:46 PM
10/22/18 06:46 PM
S
SBSteve Offline
Miki Dora status
SBSteve  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

Originally Posted By: the janitor
Originally Posted By: Duffy
Quote:
Oscar-winning film director James Cameron enjoyed a $28,000 property tax break last year. CVS heiress Sidne Long got a $22,000 break. Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard saw a $13,000 savings, and singer Jackson Browne got a $3,000 break.

It would be nice if the people named above would shut the f@ck up about tax cuts for the rich.

BTW, Chouinard is the biggest hypocrite one can be. He does not live his own life how he advocates for others to live theirs.

what's the deal with Chouinard shrug

If you read his book and then look at what he owns and does it's a bit of a laugh.
Guys got the carbon footprint of Godzilla.

Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: CJSB] #2863748
10/22/18 06:52 PM
10/22/18 06:52 PM
Goleta
B
Boneroni Offline
Tom Curren status
Boneroni  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

Goleta
Originally Posted By: CJSB
Originally Posted By: Boneroni
How about turn it into a preserve with limited, booked access, kinda like Arroyo Hondo shrug

LOL, because it is privately owned and collectively the owners have no intention of selling.

Yeah, I know and have no problem with that. I was just continuing the rhetorical situation from stu and steve. cheers

Originally Posted By: PPK96754
Don't stir the pot if you don't know the ingredient.

Originally Posted By: HarryLopez
I guess the ocean is always ready to kill someone for free. laugh
Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: Boneroni] #2863756
10/22/18 07:13 PM
10/22/18 07:13 PM
S
surfy1476 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
surfy1476  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

How about some diversity in the surf ecosystem and leave it as is? Or does the entire Gaviota coast need a parking lot and trail every 300 yards?

Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: Duffy] #2863758
10/22/18 07:18 PM
10/22/18 07:18 PM
S
surfy1476 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
surfy1476  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

Quote:
Oscar-winning film director James Cameron enjoyed a $28,000 property tax break last year. CVS heiress Sidne Long got a $22,000 break. Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard saw a $13,000 savings, and singer Jackson Browne got a $3,000 break.

It would be nice if the people named above would shut the f@ck up about tax cuts for the rich.

BTW, Chouinard is the biggest hypocrite one can be. He does not live his own life how he advocates for others to live theirs.

Of course not. Check out the article in the new surfer on Rasta. These people are delusional and live in a fantasy world..

Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: stu dog] #2863778
10/22/18 07:32 PM
10/22/18 07:32 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Originally Posted By: stu dog
there's $13.8 billion in California's "rainy day" fund. use it to buy out the Ranch and turn it into a state park shrug

Use it to fix the roads instead of charging us an extra $0.12/gallon

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: ifallalot] #2863829
10/22/18 08:41 PM
10/22/18 08:41 PM
CA
S
stu dog Offline
Duke status
stu dog  Offline
Duke status
S

CA
Originally Posted By: ifallalot
there's $13.8 billion in California's "rainy day" fund. use it to buy out the Ranch and turn it into a state park shrug

true. 5th biggest economy in the world. the rainy day fund doesn't need to be that big anymore.

Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: stu dog] #2863850
10/22/18 09:13 PM
10/22/18 09:13 PM
north of the bridge
T
the janitor Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
the janitor  Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
T

north of the bridge

true. 5th biggest economy in the world. the rainy day fund doesn't need to be that big anymore.

statements like that make me think we are at or near the top of the business & equity cycles

Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: Boneroni] #2863854
10/22/18 09:27 PM
10/22/18 09:27 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Originally Posted By: SBSteve
there's $13.8 billion in California's "rainy day" fund. use it to buy out the Ranch and turn it into a Yosemite shrug

Fixed it for yuh

Nah brah.....

As crazy as ranch is, with its exclusivity and political BS, does anyone really want to see it turn into that?

Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: the janitor] #2863856
10/22/18 09:31 PM
10/22/18 09:31 PM
CA
S
stu dog Offline
Duke status
stu dog  Offline
Duke status
S

CA

statements like that make me think we are at or near the top of the business & equity cycles

not saying stop saving. but what's the point now of having that big of a reserve

Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: stu dog] #2863858
10/22/18 09:37 PM
10/22/18 09:37 PM
Goleta
B
Boneroni Offline
Tom Curren status
Boneroni  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

Goleta

not saying stop saving. but what's the point now of having that big of a reserve

Sea level rise? shrug

Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: manbearpig] #2863860
10/22/18 09:44 PM
10/22/18 09:44 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Online content
Duke status
Kento  Online Content
Duke status
K

The Bar
Originally Posted By: manbearpig
Originally Posted By: SBSteve
there's $13.8 billion in California's "rainy day" fund. use it to buy out the Ranch and turn it into a Yosemite shrug

Fixed it for yuh

Nah brah.....

As crazy as ranch is, with its exclusivity and political BS, does anyone really want to see it turn into that?

Seriously. What a nightmare that would be. Like that or line going to San Onofre on a summer weekend afternoon.

Even if I have never been to the Ranch, I like the idea that some places are a little/lot harder to access than others.

Nothing is obscene provided it is done in bad taste.

Russ Meyer
Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: impactzone] #2863882
10/22/18 10:56 PM
10/22/18 10:56 PM
R
Random Guy Offline
Duke status
Random Guy  Offline
Duke status
R

I was expecting something like that when on my first trip to Yosemite. Thankfully I found it nothing like that. I didnt do that hike but was thinking it was going to all de something like that
Turned out nothing like that at all
And for that reason, I kinda liked that pic
cowabunga
rg

Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: the janitor] #2863887
10/22/18 11:01 PM
10/22/18 11:01 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Quote:

what's the deal with Chouinard shrug

To start

He's a climber (read: notorious whiners regarding access issues; some very willing in regards to sneaking onto private and rez lands) who runs a company that campaigns for more public access to lands.

Meanwhile lives on the Ranch - the most notoriously (non military) restricted from public access land in CA, if not the country.

To top it off, from what I've heard here, he aggressively attempts to keep the Ranch and its waves free of outsiders. I'm not saying he's wrong to do so, nor am I saying the Ranch should be a free for all. It's just kinda hypocritical.

As for the socially conscious stuff I'm sure others here know a bit more than me. But from the stuff I've read that comes out of his mouth...such as his rants against consumerism while deliberately making excellent use of marketing? LOL.

How many of these hats/tshirts are out there? A guy who hates consumerism produces boatloads of items screaming his logo, it's nauseating... roflmao

Who the hell needs a hat or tshirt screaming Patagonia?

Paying someone else to advertise their logo on your person is the very definition of consumerism.

Chounaird's problem is he's a curmudgeon (and curmudgeons are notoriously hypocritical and contradictory people) who some enamored fools have given the go ahead to run his mouth.

Granted some of their outdoor items - and I own quite a few - are amazing in terms of quality and function, and I revere Chounaird as a pioneer and insane outdoorsman. But he should stay out of the pulpit cause he just looks way stupid sometimes.

Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: Random Guy] #2863894
10/22/18 11:13 PM
10/22/18 11:13 PM
Goleta
B
Boneroni Offline
Tom Curren status
Boneroni  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

Goleta
Originally Posted By: Random Guy
I was expecting something like that when on my first trip to Yosemite. Thankfully I found it nothing like that. I didnt do that hike but was thinking it was going to all de something like that
Turned out nothing like that at all
And for that reason, I kinda liked that pic
cowabunga
rg

I went about a month after you, and in some places it was worse than that pic. We still had a great time and it was stunningly beautiful, but I think that's cause we rode bikes. At every bus stop there were hundreds of tourists waiting to go to the next landmark.

Glad you got it uncrowded though cheers

Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: impactzone] #2863899
10/22/18 11:21 PM
10/22/18 11:21 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Online sleepy
Duke status
GDaddy  Online Sleepy
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
WRT property tax assessments, land that is dedicated to agriculture, ranch and open space is typically assessed at far lower rates than land with more intensive uses.

Even though this land is near the ocean and would be worth billions if suitable for residential development, to a rancher or a farmer or a forrester that location doesn't really affect their operations or their bottom line so the parcels aren't worth as much to them as they would be to a developer who could actually develop that land into a planned community with 20,000 residential units.

#sowhat
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32