REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2863443 - 10/21/18 10:45 PM LA Times article on Hollister Ranch
impactzone Offline
Grom

The rich get richer:
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-lopez-hollister-taxes-20181020-story.html
$3700 yearly property tax for 120 acres on the coast....

#2863461 - 10/22/18 12:08 AM Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: impactzone]
MelesMeles Offline
Nep status

Loc: Wrong side of the tracks Leuca...
They arent doing anything wrong as the headline would encourage a hapless reader to think. Buried at the bottom is the truth:

the Williamson Act, which was implemented statewide in 1965 to encourage agricultural preservation. As the California Department of Conservation website explains it, private landowners can enter into contracts with county officials if they agree to land-use restrictions.
In return, the website says, landowners receive property tax assessments which are much lower than normal because they are based upon farming and open space uses as opposed to full market value.

Bottom line: the people who worked hard enough or were smart enough to buy a parcel arent breaking any laws. Id buy there if I could, but I dont get mad when other people are successful. Hating your neighbor because he had more than you used to be looked down on as being covetous and greedy, now its sjw mandate.

The politicians in Sacto are junkies for tax dollars and junkies can never get enough. Today its people at the ranch, soon they will work their way down to you to pay your fair share Screw them, its goddamn Golden State Bolshevism.

This is their second article in a month about the Ranch. What the Times should be looking into the finances of Californias representatives.

When the market tanked after 2007 I sent in a letter to reduce my property tax, youd be an idiot not to. Obviously these people are not idiots.

#2863466 - 10/22/18 01:02 AM Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: MelesMeles]
surfy1476 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Originally Posted By: MelesMeles
They arent doing anything wrong as the headline would encourage a hapless reader to think. Buried at the bottom is the truth:

the Williamson Act, which was implemented statewide in 1965 to encourage agricultural preservation. As the California Department of Conservation website explains it, private landowners can enter into contracts with county officials if they agree to land-use restrictions.
In return, the website says, landowners receive property tax assessments which are much lower than normal because they are based upon farming and open space uses as opposed to full market value.

Bottom line: the people who worked hard enough or were smart enough to buy a parcel arent breaking any laws. Id buy there if I could, but I dont get mad when other people are successful. Hating your neighbor because he had more than you used to be looked down on as being covetous and greedy, now its sjw mandate.

The politicians in Sacto are junkies for tax dollars and junkies can never get enough. Today its people at the ranch, soon they will work their way down to you to pay your fair share Screw them, its goddamn Golden State Bolshevism.

This is their second article in a month about the Ranch. What the Times should be looking into the finances of Californias representatives.

When the market tanked after 2007 I sent in a letter to reduce my property tax, youd be an idiot not to. Obviously these people are not idiots.

Great post. Its like crabs in a bucket with some people, they think if their neighbor gives more to the state they somehow win.

#2863494 - 10/22/18 05:57 AM Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: MelesMeles]
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: in the bathroom
How many people that live in Hollister ranch, or own, are ranchers?

#2863534 - 10/22/18 09:09 AM Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: MelesMeles]
Duffy Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your moms house
Originally Posted By: MelesMeles

This....

- The Wasp

#2863535 - 10/22/18 09:13 AM Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: impactzone]
Duffy Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your moms house
Quote:
Oscar-winning film director James Cameron enjoyed a $28,000 property tax break last year. CVS heiress Sidne Long got a $22,000 break. Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard saw a $13,000 savings, and singer Jackson Browne got a $3,000 break.

It would be nice if the people named above would shut the f@ck up about tax cuts for the rich.

BTW, Chouinard is the biggest hypocrite one can be. He does not live his own life how he advocates for others to live theirs.

Edited by Duffy (10/22/18 09:13 AM)

- The Wasp

#2863536 - 10/22/18 09:14 AM Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: impactzone]
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status

Loc: Kek Point
"Chouinard, through a spokesman, declined my interview request."

roflmao

"Lots of trigger points up the pooper.
If they are causing the problem, realeasing them will help
I tried to talk my PT into doing it." -Autoprax

#2863609 - 10/22/18 12:02 PM Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: impactzone]
CJSB Offline
Nep status

Loc: Santa Barbara

#2863655 - 10/22/18 12:58 PM Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: CJSB]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
there's $13.8 billion in California's "rainy day" fund. use it to buy out the Ranch and turn it into a state park shrug

#2863682 - 10/22/18 01:20 PM Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: stu dog]
SBSteve Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: stu dog
there's $13.8 billion in California's "rainy day" fund. use it to buy out the Ranch and turn it into a Yosemite shrug

Fixed it for yuh

#2863704 - 10/22/18 01:45 PM Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: SBSteve]
Boneroni Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: Goleta
Originally Posted By: SBSteve
there's $13.8 billion in California's "rainy day" fund. use it to buy out the Ranch and turn it into a Yosemite shrug

Fixed it for yuh

Nah brah.....

#2863706 - 10/22/18 01:49 PM Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: Boneroni]
Boneroni Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: Goleta
How about turn it into a preserve with limited, booked access, kinda like Arroyo Hondo shrug

#2863707 - 10/22/18 01:53 PM Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: Boneroni]
rts265 Online   content
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: Boneroni
Originally Posted By: SBSteve

Fixed it for yuh

Nah brah.....

Looks like Rome.

#2863709 - 10/22/18 01:56 PM Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: Duffy]
the janitor Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: north of the bridge
Originally Posted By: Duffy
Quote:
Oscar-winning film director James Cameron enjoyed a $28,000 property tax break last year. CVS heiress Sidne Long got a $22,000 break. Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard saw a $13,000 savings, and singer Jackson Browne got a $3,000 break.

It would be nice if the people named above would shut the f@ck up about tax cuts for the rich.

BTW, Chouinard is the biggest hypocrite one can be. He does not live his own life how he advocates for others to live theirs.

what's the deal with Chouinard shrug

#2863717 - 10/22/18 02:05 PM Re: LA Times article on Hollister Ranch [Re: Boneroni]
CJSB Offline
Nep status

Loc: Santa Barbara
Originally Posted By: Boneroni
How about turn it into a preserve with limited, booked access, kinda like Arroyo Hondo shrug

LOL, because it is privately owned and collectively the owners have no intention of selling.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32