REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2858456 - 10/11/18 10:47 AM Sears..... DONE
QuadFin Offline
Grom

Amazon going to smash other big box stores as well. Look out Best Buy, Target, Kohls, BBB.. And Amazon not really a monopoly in the eyes of SEC so they have alot of room to get bigger. Amazon going to own all our lives.

How many jobs will cost by Amazon vs. created?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/11/sears-sh...tcy-filing.html

#2858459 - 10/11/18 10:51 AM Re: Sears..... DONE [Re: QuadFin]
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status

That kind of bums me out. I have fond memories of going there with my dad to look for tools. I think back in the day Craftsman tools were good quality. I distinctly remember the smell of popcorn in the store.

Also one of the highlights of the year for us growing up was when the Sears Christmas "Dreambook " would come in the mail and we would spend hours poring over the pages and circling the toys we wanted for Christmas. That said it's been years since I went into the store....

#2858462 - 10/11/18 11:01 AM Re: Sears..... DONE [Re: patrolman]
GromsDad Online   content
Duke status

Loc: 600 yards from the surf.
Originally Posted By: patrolman
That kind of bums me out. I have fond memories of going there with my dad to look for tools. I think back in the day Craftsman tools were good quality. I distinctly remember the smell of popcorn in the store.

Also one of the highlights of the year for us growing up was when the Sears Christmas "Dreambook " would come in the mail and we would spend hours poring over the pages and circling the toys we wanted for Christmas. That said it's been years since I went into the store....

Same. One of my fishing buddies retired a few years ago after working in the hardware department of the local Sears store for 30 years. Shopping malls were huuuuge when I was in high school. Now the ones near me are full of empty stores. Sears closing its doors will probably finish off a couple of malls in my area.

#2858474 - 10/11/18 11:19 AM Re: Sears..... DONE [Re: QuadFin]
test_article Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Body of Christ, Texas
I remember using the Sears catalog in the outhouse. There's still Fingerhut and Montgomery Ward. I think I heard or read that Craftsman tools will still be available.

Does anyone miss Woolworth's?

~John McCain

#2858477 - 10/11/18 11:22 AM Re: Sears..... DONE [Re: test_article]
grapedrink Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: A Beach
Dont Ace Hardware stores still sell Craftsman tools confused2 always thought that was the Ace house brand shrug

#2858479 - 10/11/18 11:24 AM Re: Sears..... DONE [Re: patrolman]
sussle Online   sick
Billy Hamilton status

Originally Posted By: patrolman

oh the irony. Sears started out as a mail-order catalog that would deliver packages right to your door. It was driven to bankruptcy by an internet site that delivers packages right to your door.

#2858484 - 10/11/18 11:32 AM Re: Sears..... DONE [Re: sussle]
afoaf Offline
Duke status

too soon!

#2858488 - 10/11/18 11:41 AM Re: Sears..... DONE [Re: afoaf]
SBSteve Offline
Miki Dora status

End of an era.
As mentioned, I remember the smell of popcorn and looked forward to getting an ice cold Orange Julius.
My dad was the controller for the transportation company that warehoused and shipped all the west coast Sears inventory (DART)
We still have (had) a Sears here in SB but the last time I was in there it was a ghost town, crickets chirping and all.

#2858490 - 10/11/18 11:45 AM Re: Sears..... DONE [Re: grapedrink]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
Originally Posted By: grapedrink
Dont Ace Hardware stores still sell Craftsman tools confused2 always thought that was the Ace house brand shrug

That's recent, Craftsman and Kenmore were the house brands

I remember cutting down a Craftsman tool with an angle grinder for a single, specific use and then taking in the two pieces to be replaced under the lifetime warranty

#2858494 - 10/11/18 11:47 AM Re: Sears..... DONE [Re: QuadFin]
ifallalot Offline
Duke status

Loc: HB, CA
Originally Posted By: QuadFin
Amazon going to smash other big box stores as well. Look out Best Buy, Target, Kohls, BBB.. And Amazon not really a monopoly in the eyes of SEC so they have alot of room to get bigger. Amazon going to own all our lives.

Amazon is not a monopoly and this is as much a function of online vs brick & mortar than anything else

Remember when Wal Mart was the bad guy?

#2858510 - 10/11/18 12:05 PM Re: Sears..... DONE [Re: QuadFin]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: QuadFin

"Sears last profitable year was in 2010". their problems started well before Amazon. Their debt load wasn't due to Amazon.

#2858513 - 10/11/18 12:08 PM Re: Sears..... DONE [Re: QuadFin]
sussle Online   sick
Billy Hamilton status

i've been told by people that know tools that Craftsmen quality has noticeably declined over the years, but at least they were always guaranteed for life. Kenmore qulaity has certainly declined (along with most other appliance makers) and they are certainly not guaranteed for long at all.

#2858515 - 10/11/18 12:11 PM Re: Sears..... DONE [Re: sussle]
afoaf Offline
Duke status

cost cutting in materials and labor

I am not a fan of electronics in major appliances (and even cars)

#2858526 - 10/11/18 12:24 PM Re: Sears..... DONE [Re: sussle]
Kento Offline
Duke status

Loc: The Bar
Originally Posted By: sussle
i've been told by people that know tools that Craftsmen quality has noticeably declined over the years, but at least they were always guaranteed for life. Kenmore qulaity has certainly declined (along with most other appliance makers) and they are certainly not guaranteed for long at all.

I got a Craftsman toolbox for Christmas. Took 3 weeks for the hinges to shatter and it wasn't even close to full. I had to laugh once I overcame the pain of several wrenches and a hammer dropping onto my foot.

What good is a lifetime warranty if it only gets replaced with the same shitty product?

My overall experience is that American-made products are only marginally better than Chinese-made. Both are shit.

Russ Meyer

#2858532 - 10/11/18 12:28 PM Re: Sears..... DONE [Re: Kento]
stu dog Offline
Duke status

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: Kento
Originally Posted By: sussle

I got a Craftsman toolbox for Christmas. Took 3 weeks for the hinges to shatter and it wasn't even close to full. I had to laugh once I overcame the pain of several wrenches and a hammer dropping onto my foot.

What good is a lifetime warranty if it only gets replaced with the same shitty product?

My overall experience is that American-made products are only marginally better than Chinese-made. Both are shit.

"Beginning in 2010, hand tools manufactured for Craftsman by Apex Tool Group (formerly known as Danaher) such as ratchets, sockets, and wrenches began to be sourced overseas (mainly in China, although some are produced in Taiwan), while tools produced for Craftsman by Western Forge such as adjustable wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers and larger mechanic tool sets remain made in the United States, although as of 2018,"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craftsman_(tools)
don't know if it's true, but would guess so

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32