REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2856730 - 10/07/18 08:49 AM Re: Ding Repair or Done? [Re: Aruka]
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Pacific NW
Originally Posted By: Aruka
You need Q-cell to fill in those gouges. After cutting away all the busted fiberglass, and cleaning up the wounds you mix the q-cell or microballoons with resin until it's like mashed potato consistency and then fill the big voids with it. You want the most "dry" mix you can get, you're trying to fill the void with a lightweight foam replacement not a heavy resin-rich material. Once the filler dries you sand it down flush and then glass over it.

The fin box will probably be the biggest challenge depending on the severity.

If you can get all the materials and you have the time and desire, go for it. It's a good opportunity to learn some valuable repair skills and if you can pull this one off cleanly you'll be ready for just about any future mishaps which will probably seem easy by comparison. If you're on a trip and you can't get all the materials needed I don't think anyone would fault you for giving it a pass.I probably wouldn't pay that much to get it repaired myself.

Sound advice and great knowledge, without the salty flavour of the following classics. Sadly, I don't have the space, time or access to all that good stuff. That's why ding doc is my only option to help the board to keep living the dream.

Originally Posted By: sushipop
Sell it for $100 and apply that to a new one. Someone handy might be interested in scooping it up.

This is worth a try, but it'd still be a hard sale around here.

Originally Posted By: Havoc4k
lil solares n your back out there!

Yewwww! I'm on it! roflmao

Originally Posted By: sushipop
Or duct tape. If you cant duct it, fvck it.

It would be painful and scratchy. I would worry about terrible friction burns.

Originally Posted By: averagejoe
its completely fuckedbeyondrepair

I love you.

Originally Posted By: Duffy
Quote:
it was either my board or my skin, so my board took one for the team.

Wrong choice.

Bone and skin dings would make me do a sad face.

Originally Posted By: Clamsmasha
Two rules to live by:

1. Always check for an Adams apple.

2. Fix that board yourself.

Not with solarez, youll need to get the good stuff this time.

Time and access to the goods make that difficult.

Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly
Could be wrong but with that much to repair and it being light to begin with it's gonna make it klunky.

Yeah, plus I'm not sure about what the issue would be of filling the holes with non-XTR materials.

Originally Posted By: Clamsmasha
The angle probably makes that look overly dramatic as far as volume of q-cell required.

If you make the resin/q-cell fairly dry, at least that component of the repair will be light.

Pity you dont live around the corner Fishgood, wed knock that over in an arvo.

Out of interest, what would you charge for a repair job like this down under?

Originally Posted By: ghostshaper
Take it back and show the shaper. He might give you a deal on the next one. Good time to talk about things you didn't like and changes for the next one (tweaked dims, etc.). Bring his favorite beer. Enjoy the surfer-shaper relationship which makes this craft unlike any other custom product experience.

That would be epic, and I'm sure Javier would play ball, but it'd a couple of thousand dollars roundtrip after everything was included.

Final say: I love the errb. Saltiness is what makes us who we are! Apologies to all for being pathetic and not having the time, skills or resources to fix this mess myself.

#2856835 - 10/07/18 03:31 PM Re: Ding Repair or Done? [Re: Goodfish]
hackeysaky Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: NJ
This is one of those situations where it would sit in the corner of my shed/shop and I'd use excess resins, cloth, etc. to sloooowly patch it back together enough with the goal of loaning it to local groms and eventually give it away to a deserving one in need OR patch it enough for an artist friend to use as a canvas if it can't be structurally shored up.

#2856840 - 10/07/18 03:48 PM Re: Ding Repair or Done? [Re: Goodfish]
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
It's an XTR, so do you even need to fix it?

Joking, but I would fix it. XTR is strong enough (and waterproof) that you could do a poor job on it and it would probably still be fine.

Edited by Racer1 (10/07/18 03:51 PM)

#2856844 - 10/07/18 04:09 PM Re: Ding Repair or Done? [Re: Goodfish]
FARTHAMMER Offline
Nep status

I would fix it, paint it and continue to destroy it. If it rode weird I would give it away or use it behind a boat or something.

#2856916 - 10/07/18 08:53 PM Re: Ding Repair or Done? [Re: Goodfish]
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Good points, all of you.

Racer, yeah it seems a shame to give up on it. I wonder if there would be any issue with the material they use to fill the missing chunks and the xtr foam?

#2856967 - 10/08/18 12:28 AM Re: Ding Repair or Done? [Re: Goodfish]
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status

I had a quarter sized ding in my rail for nearly a year, along with cracks on every one of my channels, in an XTR tomo and I kept riding. I think you could do a super shotty repair job on that board and it still be good. Just pour resin all over that. Hahah. If it was a PU board, I'd said pretty much done, but XTR can handle much more.

#2857515 - 10/09/18 03:56 PM Re: Ding Repair or Done? [Re: Goodfish]
Oeste858 Offline
Grom

Loc: San Diego, CA
oh, man. That was an expensive session for you. What a shame. Which board was it? Hydronaut?

#2857561 - 10/09/18 04:59 PM Re: Ding Repair or Done? [Re: Goodfish]
aldo1 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: Bahamas
Done. Bin that sucker and order a custom.

#2857565 - 10/09/18 05:03 PM Re: Ding Repair or Done? [Re: Goodfish]
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status

It is a custom. Not all Tomo's are Firewires.

#2857728 - 10/09/18 11:28 PM Re: Ding Repair or Done? [Re: Goodfish]
grendel95 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: SJC
Worst kind of dings, suffered after a great session.

I say fix it and keep it as a backup.

#2858144 - 10/10/18 05:43 PM Re: Ding Repair or Done? [Re: Goodfish]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Loc: San Francisco, CA
^ - I concur with grendel95.

Everyone should have a backup board and/or a good 'rock board' (one to take for spots you know you're just going to ding your board).

#2858360 - 10/11/18 05:14 AM Re: Ding Repair or Done? [Re: Goodfish]
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Yeah, it was my Hydronaut. I've only had it a year, and I've surfed it about 10 times. Crunched it on the paddle out under the nose at the same spot on it's maiden voyage last year...Maybe even the same rock! Haha!

I've been flip-flopping between getting it fixed or just getting a replacement. My main concern about getting it repaired is whether it's worth the cost. There are some extensive gauges all over the bottom, through the channels and a long gauge through the carbon and into the wood stringer. Dunno what the ding doc could do about the carbon and the stringer, so just seems a bit of a waste of money.

Which leads me to getting a new one, but then I've got the choice between a FW one at about $900 or an XTR which would be about $1300 including shipping. Other considerations include typhoon season is coming to an end, and my 5'9 Hydrosquash would probably be enough through the winter, but I also have a trip to Sumatra in March when I would need a step-up...

#2858423 - 10/11/18 10:15 AM Re: Ding Repair or Done? [Re: Goodfish]
VaB Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
fix crudely and give to local grom- see if repair shop will give you a deal knowing that is the plan. worked for me leaving a board in Nicaragua after it was badly creased.

#2858821 - 10/11/18 08:19 PM Re: Ding Repair or Done? [Re: Goodfish]
000 Offline
Duke status

i'd fix it

#2858929 - 10/12/18 02:59 AM Re: Ding Repair or Done? [Re: VaB]
Goodfish Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Originally Posted By: VaB
fix crudely and give to local grom- see if repair shop will give you a deal knowing that is the plan. worked for me leaving a board in Nicaragua after it was badly creased.

Good call. The little guesthouse I stay at down the coast has a bunch of local groms learning the ropes about fixing boards. I'll just give it to them, and tell them they can either surf it or sell it after they fix it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >