REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2857205 - 10/08/18 08:25 PM Re: Why did kneeboarding pretty much disappear??? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
CharmingSophisticate Offline
Duke status

Loc: In Gods Country
Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta
Originally Posted By: SlicedFeet

Is that you?
That's David Parkes (from Oz), pic is somewhere in Indo I think.
Note, we have spies everywhere!

#2857224 - 10/08/18 09:42 PM Re: Why did kneeboarding pretty much disappear??? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
SlicedFeet Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Swarm Diego
Dave Parkes is also one of the top Oz kneeboard shapers and son will probably be on the WSL someday.

Im an intermediate level kneeboard compared and happy as a lark,

Heres me kneeboarding a few years ago as my alter ego Ahab the Arab on my flying carpet.

#2857259 - 10/09/18 12:04 AM Re: Why did kneeboarding pretty much disappear??? [Re: npsp]
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Originally Posted By: npsp
Originally Posted By: SenorSopa
Originally Posted By: npsp
Originally Posted By: Truth
[quote=CharmingSophisticate]
tom snaked me once....... once....... beer

Dogman was legendary!! So many people are so happy he moved to PPK land. Endless Tom stories... Probably the most hated guy ever and there's been some doozies over the years. Thank god he was mostly a south peak guy so I didn't have to deal with him as much as some of you other guys.

Regarding the topic, Casa hit most of the points. It's like the debate in the design forum regarding feel vs looks. I've seen video and pictures of myself and I know what feels good does not always look good.
In the end who cares Fall is here and we are off to a not so bad start.

Is Dogman the same as "Running Man"? That guy was a plague, always paddle 10 yards deeper, no matter what. I just started burning him if he didn't want to rotate, which was always. Fook that guy, and from the stories I've heard about Dogman, fook both those guys.

Maybe the same but not sure... Dogman rode red Pendo'd out Barto's and always wore a surf cap. To give perspective, Dogman was worse than the Herder and Sterns rolled together. For a while I seemed to be on the same schedule as Tom so we shared the line up a lot and I was front row for too many altercations to count. Got many distraction sets because of this.

I was reading this thread and feeling all proud of myself thinking that Tom never dropped in on me at South Peak, and then remembered that he just backpaddled me about 98% of the time and didn't need to. I used him as a lineup marker on canyon sets.

#2857273 - 10/09/18 01:20 AM Re: Why did kneeboarding pretty much disappear??? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Icu812 Offline
Grom

Loc: WEST of 101
I've been kneeriding Humboldt for close to 50 years and still loving it. Gettin' close to 70 now and I'm thinkin' for some of the older guys whose mind makes a promise their body can't fill, kneeriding would be their salvation. We just had our first real swell of the new season and my buddy just had the hardest time getting to his feet and ended up kneeriding his 8'+ egg shape on his knees anyway. I think he'd have a better time just gettin' a kneeboard.

#2857742 - 10/10/18 01:34 AM Re: Why did kneeboarding pretty much disappear??? [Re: Icu812]
pault Offline
Grom

any kneeboarders have any reccos for buying a used board (or maybe a new one) in the LA/Malibu area. i'm keen to give it a try...a dearth of info out there.

#2857779 - 10/10/18 09:30 AM Re: Why did kneeboarding pretty much disappear??? [Re: Icu812]
jbd Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: JAX BCH FLA.
Originally Posted By: Icu812
I've been kneeriding Humboldt for close to 50 years and still loving it. Gettin' close to 70 now and I'm thinkin' for some of the older guys whose mind makes a promise their body can't fill, kneeriding would be their salvation. We just had our first real swell of the new season and my buddy just had the hardest time getting to his feet and ended up kneeriding his 8'+ egg shape on his knees anyway. I think he'd have a better time just gettin' a kneeboard.

Props to you!! 70 still in the water is my goal in life, whatever I may have to ride. rockin

I use to watch a older guy rip a popular spot here on his kneeboard as a kid. Nice guy, charged on his kneeboard. Haven't seen anyone on one around here in 30 years.

Edited by jbd (10/10/18 09:30 AM)

#2858049 - 10/10/18 03:40 PM Re: Why did kneeboarding pretty much disappear??? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
afoaf Offline
Duke status

I think kneeboarding looks way rad

seems like a great way to chase barrels

a different perspective on the wave...lower center of gravity

#2858052 - 10/10/18 03:41 PM Re: Why did kneeboarding pretty much disappear??? [Re: SlicedFeet]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
Originally Posted By: SlicedFeet

This photo is fvcking awesome.

#2858290 - 10/10/18 10:22 PM Re: Why did kneeboarding pretty much disappear??? [Re: 1whoknows]
Leaverite Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Central Cal
Originally Posted By: 1whoknows
Shared the lineup with hellcharger kneelos at Peta and Puerto back in the day. Billy Lerner one of the best out these days.

Just saw a youtube video a couple of weeks ago of Bill surfing really good sized Nias.

#2858303 - 10/10/18 10:43 PM Re: Why did kneeboarding pretty much disappear??? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Leaverite Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Central Cal
Certain places.

Moss for one.

Mike S., Johnny V., Super Dave. Been there since the dawn of time and you would be extremely lucky to
get a wave off them. Even if you did, you still might face the wrath of the whole rest of the local crew.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

#2858373 - 10/11/18 08:14 AM Re: Why did kneeboarding pretty much disappear??? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
shantyman Offline
Grom

Started kneeboarding because I would, as a little kid, watch cripple legend Peter Crawford rip apart Dee Why Point on his sickle finned slab board while waiting for dad to finish his laps of the rock pool. Few standups could thread suck up on the boards of the day back then and here was this crazy bowl cut haired guy in a long sleeve springsuit seeming to have the most fun and cackling like a lunatic as he ran back past the pool to rock off yet again, paddle a few metres and airdrop back into a pitching throaty beast.
Kneeboarded for 20 years pretty hardcore; West Oz, Indo, Mexico, Costa Rica, Portugal, England, Spain. Indo reefs and Mexican Pipe are made for kneelos. Clean barrel heaven for a half man.
Loved being on the fringe of the fringe, a misunderstood minority in a misfit world when surfing was still outsider land.
Was lucky to have one of the world's best kneelo shapers, Bruce Hart, living nearby.
But it's just plain sad in tiny non barreling waves and one day a mate brought a mid 60s longboard he'd found under a house round to my place. This was before the longboard rebirth. Fell in love with it on tiny days, started borrowing mate's shortboards too and have been standup surfing for the past 25 years.
Today's short, wide, full nosed small wave standup boards give me flashbacks: the shapes are so familiar!
Why did they die, or at least become so rare? I think it's simply down to the ever improving shortboard. Can do things only a kneeboarder could do. And, maybe, the mainstreaming of surfing nowadays attracts fewer true weirdos. Cause every cripple I ever met was a bent unit in some way.
After an absence of many years a couple of guys in their 40s have reappeared at the point.
I still shortboard but, faaaark I've been seriously thinking of getting one shaped lately.
One thing - never really understood the American sit on your haunches style. Here it's always been lean forward low and go!

#2858428 - 10/11/18 10:20 AM Re: Why did kneeboarding pretty much disappear??? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
drunjk Offline
Nep status

KNEE CANCER

#2858522 - 10/11/18 12:20 PM Re: Why did kneeboarding pretty much disappear??? [Re: shantyman]
sponge Online   content
Kelly Slater status

Loc: Honolulu, HI, USA
Good words shantyman!

Originally Posted By: shantyman
Started kneeboarding because I would, as a little kid, watch cripple legend Peter Crawford rip apart Dee Why Point on his sickle finned slab board...

Peter Crawford was a pretty solid photographer back in the day, maybe the 70s.

#2858582 - 10/11/18 01:32 PM Re: Why did kneeboarding pretty much disappear??? [Re: pault]
SFKneelo Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Bay Area
Originally Posted By: pault
any kneeboarders have any reccos for buying a used board (or maybe a new one) in the LA/Malibu area. i'm keen to give it a try...a dearth of info out there.

Theres kneeboard surfing groups on Facebook...

(Shanty, Bruce Hart has been posting up some gems)

www.ksusa.org is another resource

#2858654 - 10/11/18 04:15 PM Re: Why did kneeboarding pretty much disappear??? [Re: sponge]
sponge Online   content
Kelly Slater status

Loc: Honolulu, HI, USA
Sorry. The below photo is actually of Mike McGuire. Photographer is Buddy McCray.

Originally Posted By: sponge
And an old photo of Buddy McCray at maxing Sunset Beach. Photo credit unknown.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32