REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
What is School For? #2846873
09/15/18 05:47 PM
09/15/18 05:47 PM
B
Bohter Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
Bohter  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
B

Couple compelling videos regarding school....since it's that time of year again....

Something to think about....

Living is easy with eyes closed...Misunderstanding all you see. The Beatles
Nature abhors a vacuum....except when earth's pressure system is next to the vacuum of space.....then they coexist...unnaturally.
Re: What is School For? [Re: Bohter] #2846887
09/15/18 06:22 PM
09/15/18 06:22 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Neural priming social engagement.

Duh!

"The baby is born, the mother meets with the doctor, they take care of the baby, they wrap the baby beautifully, and then the doctor and the mother determine whether or not they will execute the baby.” --DT

Re: What is School For? [Re: Bohter] #2847013
09/15/18 11:00 PM
09/15/18 11:00 PM
K
kelpcutter Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
kelpcutter  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
K

To weed out the open minded, critical thinking, truth seeking, youtube researching flat earthers?

Re: What is School For? [Re: Bohter] #2847041
09/16/18 02:13 AM
09/16/18 02:13 AM
Central Cal
L
Leaverite Offline
Michael Peterson status
Leaverite  Offline
Michael Peterson status
L

Central Cal
To possibly learn a useful skillset that will support you throughout the rest of your life that you were not genetically gifted with???? shrug

Re: What is School For? [Re: Bohter] #2847049
09/16/18 02:33 AM
G
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status
ghostshaper  Offline
Miki Dora status
G

couldn't watch more than a minute, but school also teaches how to solve problems. maybe not how to do your taxes
explicitly unless you study accounting, but skills to figure it out. all that shvt mentioned in the first minute can be figured out by someone who has the skills developed in school. rote memorization is on the way out w/ the old standards, and critical thinking/problem solving is in w/ the new common core standards.

also, gravity to explain why celestial bodies are spherical or at least the critical thinking skills to reason through it logically.

Organized competition is entirely peripheral to surfing qua surfing. People surf for love. - William Finnegan
Re: What is School For? [Re: Bohter] #2847050
Leucadia
B
b.r. Offline
Miki Dora status
b.r.  Offline
Miki Dora status
B

Leucadia
for learning social norms and maybe some science and physics and the impossibility of a flat earth despite what youtube teaches you.

Re: What is School For? [Re: ghostshaper] #2847051
09/16/18 02:44 AM
09/16/18 02:44 AM
Central Cal
L
Leaverite Offline
Michael Peterson status
Leaverite  Offline
Michael Peterson status
L

Central Cal
When I was a kid in High School we used to have auto shop. That was fun!!!

Re: What is School For? [Re: Bohter] #2847056
09/16/18 03:03 AM
09/16/18 03:03 AM
000 Offline
Duke status
000  Offline
Duke status

school is for wannabe pros to avoid

Re: What is School For? [Re: 000] #2847060
09/16/18 03:10 AM
09/16/18 03:10 AM
Central Cal
L
Leaverite Offline
Michael Peterson status
Leaverite  Offline
Michael Peterson status
L

Central Cal
We used to have to cut school to go surfing.

Now you get school credits.

Re: What is School For? [Re: Leaverite] #2847063
09/16/18 03:12 AM
09/16/18 03:12 AM
Leucadia
B
b.r. Offline
Miki Dora status
b.r.  Offline
Miki Dora status
B

Leucadia
when I moved back to s.d. from costa rica way back in the day, I got a job as a bilingual aid at the local h.s. in math, english, history and I worked two periods of auto shop. One of the kids was a senior and had a van, a truck, and a little honda. we worked on his cars and my 88 toyota pick up. Justino eventually asked me if I wanted to make 500 bucks driving his van from the McDonalds in San Ysidro back up to Encinitas on a Friday night with a bunch of his "friends".... turned out he was a coyote and brought people up from the border on the weekends. he also worked at a local mexican restuarant , (guy was an entrepreneur and explained why he had three cars at age 17). I told him although I would make in one night the same I was making in the month as an aide, I couldn't risk my future career by breaking u.s. immigration laws.
sadly the auto shop teacher mr. k passed away from cancer the next semester and the only one they could find to run the class was me.. I was not even remotely prepared to take on that class but they needed me and I was looking for a long term gig so I did it.. luckily no cars fell off the lift and crushed anyone while I was in charge. some super gearhead kids helped me get through. the day school ended I headed down to costa rica for 6 weeks, came back and got a real teaching gig... auto shop is still available at the old high school. I changed out my wife's brake pads last summer, still got some skills...lol

Re: What is School For? [Re: b.r.] #2847065
09/16/18 03:27 AM
09/16/18 03:27 AM
Central Cal
L
Leaverite Offline
Michael Peterson status
Leaverite  Offline
Michael Peterson status
L

Central Cal
Auto shop is a skillset.

A valuable skillset around here these days. Every high school kid with a DL has some kind of pimped out, big baller car. The aftermarket business in the USA is a multi billion dollar industry.

You just can't go out and buy/drive a stock new car. You need to tune it up to 800 HP and put in an exhaust system that can be heard 3 miles away. dancing

This is cool.

But if the state can offer it at $40/unit it sure beats paying to go to some private "Automotive Institute" and paying $10,000's of $20,000's of dollars on tuition.

The whole gig these days with state funding for Community Colleges is based on graduation rates and transfer credits to other schools.

This is what the state bases their annual fund allotment on.

We have a lot of programs. Our nursing program is one of the best anywhere. But its a 6/8 year process because its so in demand and has such limited funding.

I had surgery up at UCSF back in 2013 and one of my nurses up there was a Cabrillo grad. She also
remembered my mom as her 1st grade teacher!!! Extra lotion rubs...

Re: What is School For? [Re: Bohter] #2847103
09/16/18 06:55 AM
09/16/18 06:55 AM
SOCAL
20W-50 and blood Online mad
Duke status
20W-50 and blood  Online Mad
Duke status

SOCAL
i could say something..but screw it...we all hear and see what we are open to...sadly, nothing else

Re: What is School For? [Re: 20W-50 and blood] #2847138
09/16/18 02:44 PM
09/16/18 02:44 PM
B
Bohter Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
Bohter  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
B

Well I guess I knew there would be some FE remarks....seems we're taught or conditioned to focus on the person more than the problem these days. Maybe it's partially due to the explosion of social media and the anonymity that comes with it....and, with FE at least, our indoctrination early in school that it was the dumbest idea ever (with zero exploration of that side of the argument...for example, how much surface curvature we should expect and how to measure it....hmmm....why I wonder?)....just because we're so much smarter now because we've made "advancements" and have science etc.

And when I learned about gravity I was shown a cartoon of Newton under the apple tree with an apple falling.....just an explanation...no proof.....no tie in with buoyancy and density. The direction of down was basically due to the "force" of gravity....and it is relative to an objects mass...no demonstrable experiments to test for ourselves (except dropping stuff)...no proofs...no alternative hypothesis given...for example...the attractive property of earth's electrical "ground" and the 100 volts/meter static gradient above it (+ charged attracted to "ground" -)....combined with buoyancy and density....hmmmm?

Anyway, I agree school can give you basic skills necessary to navigate life and work (I used the pythagorean theorem to do the trig required to determine the expected hidden height on a sphere with a 3959 mile radius smile )....but it also indoctrinates everyone to a specific set of beliefs (vs. knowledge) and reinforces that thinking otherwise, in some cases at least, is not socially acceptable. Produces a bunch of indoctrinated obedient snowflakes these days it seems....just what the "workforce" needs.

Living is easy with eyes closed...Misunderstanding all you see. The Beatles
Nature abhors a vacuum....except when earth's pressure system is next to the vacuum of space.....then they coexist...unnaturally.
Re: What is School For? [Re: Bohter] #2847153
09/16/18 03:37 PM
09/16/18 03:37 PM
Pleasantville
A
Al Soldano Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Al Soldano  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
A

Pleasantville
Originally Posted By: Bohter
Well I guess I knew there would be some FE remarks....seems we're taught or conditioned to focus on the person more than the problem these days. Maybe it's partially due to the explosion of social media and the anonymity that comes with it....and, with FE at least, our indoctrination early in school that it was the dumbest idea ever (with zero exploration of that side of the argument...for example, how much surface curvature we should expect and how to measure it....hmmm....why I wonder?)....just because we're so much smarter now because we've made "advancements" and have science etc.

And when I learned about gravity I was shown a cartoon of Newton under the apple tree with an apple falling.....just an explanation...no proof.....no tie in with buoyancy and density. The direction of down was basically due to the "force" of gravity....and it is relative to an objects mass...no demonstrable experiments to test for ourselves (except dropping stuff)...no proofs...no alternative hypothesis given...for example...the attractive property of earth's electrical "ground" and the 100 volts/meter static gradient above it (+ charged attracted to "ground" -)....combined with buoyancy and density....hmmmm?

Anyway, I agree school can give you basic skills necessary to navigate life and work (I used the pythagorean theorem to do the trig required to determine the expected hidden height on a sphere with a 3959 mile radius smile )....but it also indoctrinates everyone to a specific set of beliefs (vs. knowledge) and reinforces that thinking otherwise, in some cases at least, is not socially acceptable. Produces a bunch of indoctrinated obedient snowflakes these days it seems....just what the "workforce" needs.

I'm glad Snickers has been reincarnated.

Re: What is School For? [Re: Bohter] #2847180
09/16/18 05:35 PM
09/16/18 05:35 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Originally Posted By: Bohter
...but it also indoctrinates everyone to a specific set of beliefs (vs. knowledge) and reinforces that thinking otherwise, in some cases at least, is not socially acceptable. Produces a bunch of indoctrinated obedient snowflakes these days it seems....just what the "workforce" needs.

The idea that everyone is a genius but school beats the genius out them is so off the mark.

"The baby is born, the mother meets with the doctor, they take care of the baby, they wrap the baby beautifully, and then the doctor and the mother determine whether or not they will execute the baby.” --DT

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32