REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2846048 - 09/13/18 08:13 PM Padang Padang vs. G Land and Desert Point
BRsNJesus Offline
Grom

Hey everyone so I'm just wondering how G land and Deserts compare to Padang Padang in terms of speed, ease of entry, and shallowness of the reef. I assume deserts is pretty similar with a shallow ass reef, very fast wave but I was wondering if you end up airdropping into a lot of sections there, I've been told the outside can provide a nice roll in. And then as far as G land is concerned I'm mainly talking about Kongs/Money trees, not speedies. I haven't heard a whole lot from people about g land other than that its sick as fook and I should go.

I'm asking about this because I'm in Bali for a while and was considering heading to g land or deserts but after getting my ass kicked at padang I'm not sure I want to spend money and time traveling somewhere only to get my ass kicked again. I've been surfing everywhere else on the bukit the last couple weeks with ease but went to padang the other day and it was just another level, only managed 2 waves and then a bunch of getting tossed over the falls. I'm not some complete kook, but I'm not some crazy ripper either.

I've pretty much given up on deserts at this point. Pretty sure its beyond me and I don't really want to get there and not be able to surf it. Only reason I even ask about it is because I had a coworker who's been there and has seen me surf and said I could manage it. I'm more interested in how kongs and money trees stack up against padang. Any input is appreciated.

TLDR; Padang was a serious challenge for me, how do deserts and kongs/money trees compare to padang padang? Would it be worth my time and money to go to either one?

#2846237 - 09/14/18 09:49 AM Re: Padang Padang vs. G Land and Desert Point [Re: BRsNJesus]
NDG80 Offline
Nep status

Loc: LA
if Padang was a challenge - I reckon G-Land would be a no go. It depends where you are on the reef at g-land but most of it is steep drops and if you dont pull in and commit you're getting smoked - not a cushy roll in like padang and you cant dodge the barrel at all. Its also alot of paddling and a huge playing field. Once there not much else to do but surf so if your not feeling it - you're stuck

Deserts has a roll in at the top of the point but the rest of the take off zones are steep late drops and yea not much else there really.

Maybe stick to Ulu and Bingin and just have fun. Head over to Keramas for easy shacks.

#2846244 - 09/14/18 09:58 AM Re: Padang Padang vs. G Land and Desert Point [Re: NDG80]
BRsNJesus Offline
Grom

Thanks for the reply. I think my biggest problem at padang was I wasn't going for the bigger sets with the easier drop and was taking smaller waves with steep/air drops. I'll probably just stick to Bali for this trip, maybe I'll head to to one of the two next time I'm back. I've been getting barrels at main peak and racetrack so I'm not complaining.

#2846266 - 09/14/18 10:48 AM Re: Padang Padang vs. G Land and Desert Point [Re: BRsNJesus]
Truth Offline
Miki Dora status

You may die at Gland if Padang was a big challenge for you

#2846271 - 09/14/18 10:58 AM Re: Padang Padang vs. G Land and Desert Point [Re: BRsNJesus]
NDG80 Offline
Nep status

Loc: LA
Originally Posted By: BRsNJesus
I've been getting barrels at main peak and racetrack so I'm not complaining.

Yew!

#2846286 - 09/14/18 11:35 AM Re: Padang Padang vs. G Land and Desert Point [Re: BRsNJesus]
manjushri Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: +62
You will be ok at G-Land...so many different zones and moods, it's nothing like Padang2 where you can't even straighten out.

Plenty of old dudes, erbber's, and goons go G Land all the time and they do fine. If you want to push it you can.

#2846476 - 09/14/18 02:37 PM Re: Padang Padang vs. G Land and Desert Point [Re: BRsNJesus]
Dorado Offline
Gerry Lopez status

You can get waves at g land compared to Padang .
8-10 speedies off the pad is a lot different then 8-10 moneys.
Really a series of breaks depending on tide and swell direction.
Big playing field many moods and no two waves the same often .
Ledge / speedies heaviest
Diff sections of moneys most consistent
Fanpalms / Kongs softest .
End of moneys the fang into hoop throwers and the cobra or pads into cobra is like training wheel speedies . Speedies needs a new moon or full moon tide to be good and a south swell . 190-195 south .
210-220 good for the most of the top to the end of moneys . Good luck . Helps if you can paddle and also dont be shy about gunny boards . Unless your QS hottest ripper at your home break leave the chippy pro models at home the waves have power and move fast no shoulder hopping need to paddle hard deep into the peak

#2846483 - 09/14/18 02:53 PM Re: Padang Padang vs. G Land and Desert Point [Re: Dorado]
Sharkbiscuit Online   content
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Jacksonville Beach
Originally Posted By: Dorado

I got told to go to G-Land by quite a few different people in Mainland Mex and I've been curious ever since. What do you mean by this; that G-Land is a big playing field and your number will come up, and Padang is backpaddle/snake/drop-in octagon of goat rodeo proportions?

#2846534 - 09/14/18 04:06 PM Re: Padang Padang vs. G Land and Desert Point [Re: Sharkbiscuit]
Dorado Offline
Gerry Lopez status

G land can handle a crowd and theres constant turnover . My last day this trip I had FANG / Hoop throwers/ launch pads into the cobra at speedies before flicking off as was no water to myself for 2 hours and with 4 others for another 3 . 4-6 ft G land scale ( 6-10 on the face ) and flawless . Best waves were going 2-3 times back door a couple at hoop throwers and hit the cobra . Or solid 6 footers off the launch pad into the cobra and make sure you dont fall as was low tide and speedies has no water , only surf top section. Bottom line its a much more managed and mature crowd . Everyone paying around 100$ a day so people will basically call out snakes and wave hogs . Magical place . fook Padang , great wave but ruined . Speedies ona proper 6-8 ft south 195 and a proper tide can get frothy we THATS what guys want that perfect roll in off the pad to the cobra and double up sevyoonthrough speed reef . Ledge , moneys etc are spread out have great barrels and are manageable . The bigger moneys id the better .

#2846536 - 09/14/18 04:10 PM Re: Padang Padang vs. G Land and Desert Point [Re: BRsNJesus]
Dorado Offline
Gerry Lopez status

8-10 speedies off the pad is a lot different then 8-10 moneys.
Really a series of breaks depending on tide and swell direction.
Big playing field many moods and no two waves the same often .
Ledge / speedies heaviest
Diff sections of moneys most consistent
Fanpalms / Kongs softest .
End of moneys the fang into hoop throwers and the cobra or pads into cobra is like training wheel speedies . Speedies needs a new moon or full moon tide to be good and a south swell . 190-195 south .
210-220 good for the most of the top to the end of moneys . Good luck . Helps if you can paddle and also dont be shy about gunny boards . Unless your QS hottest ripper at your home break leave the chippy pro models at home the waves have power and move fast no shoulder hopping need to paddle hard deep into the peak

#2846542 - 09/14/18 04:19 PM Re: Padang Padang vs. G Land and Desert Point [Re: BRsNJesus]
Dorado Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Its hit or miss . Ive been there with 100 people on the point in the three camps and less than 20 and everything in between .
If your a well travelled surfer its a great place . If your a neophyte in reefs and pumping surf probably going to waste your money . More often then not with a sw wswe
You can find your spot . Kongs fan palms etc straight south is only speed reef and thats where it gets highly competitive and a real froth pit . Stud jocks rock over from Margies for the good tides and a sure fire speedies swell . In and out 3 days cheap flights . I stay 3 weeks so I get my share and have started to figure it out out there more and more . Its a complex place with many faces . Padang is a kook show . Shane for such a perfect wave .
You can get as good or better of a barrell atvthe ledge at moneys on a good low tide west swell

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32